Old 02-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Susie--

Many E-Bay listers are bombarded by messages at close of auctions from people who want to avoid e-bay fees, or get a bargain below auction pricing.. Some sellers just ignore them all.

Some sellers also have a very firm opinion about how much their precious jewel is worth, and won't budge no matter what "market" tries to tell them... Sometimes patience works, or sometimes evidence of other sales at low prices, but sometimes they will just sit and watch it rot rather than sell for less than they know it's worth... They may not be big on e-mails, and might prefer phone contact. Is that same trailer listed in classifieds here?

And some people have had limited success pulling large shallow dents with toilet plungers, heat guns and vaseline... A serious deep dent or substantial crease is not likely to be removable, since the metal has stretched permanently, and will never look like original again...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Some sellers also have a very firm opinion about how much their precious jewel is worth, and won't budge no matter what "market" tries to tell them...
well said. that's why it also pays to do your research so you can figure out what a particular trailer costs that you're interested in.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Suzie,
Lots of great advice in the above posts.
One more thing to look into with the early trailers are pipe frames. From what I understand, all of the pipe frames either HAVE been replaced or beefed up, or NEED to be replaced or beefed up. Search for pipe frames for more info, including which years had them.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Do your homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
well said. that's why it also pays to do your research so you can figure out what a particular trailer costs that you're interested in.
I completely agree. I can't overemphasize the importance of research. Information is power and goes a long way towards determining if a potential purchase is more of a "project" than you want to handle and if the asking price is within an appropriate range.
Apparent bargins usually have a high unanticipated total cost if you don't know your stuff. Especially the vintage ones. But they are oh so worth it when you are prepared.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
cass , Texas
Welcome, and goodluck finding your trailer. Try to take you time. I try to sleep on something before I jump in. We looked for a couple of years. We found one on my friends farm. Never new he had it. He had done a lot to her. However she needed a lot more, but the price was right. The ones we looked at before needed more work, and more money. This forum is an anwered pray. If you have any questions about an AS, this is the place. So much help. Happy hunting.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Welcome Susie in Texas from just up the road.

Gene in Arkansas
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Susie,

Be careful on E-bay,,,we have a 69 model in our shop right now that was bought for $5,500 on ebay and it needs $$$$$$$$ tons of work!

Gene
Old 02-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
ebay can actually be okay IF you do your research. my flying cloud i bought in october had a "buy it now" price of $3000 and one bid for $500 or so and had 6 days left on the auction. i did a lot of research on this forum and was looking seriously for 3-4 months. i ended up clicking the "buy it now". it wasn't a deal, but a fair price. i could'vet waited to try and get it cheaper while the auction played out, but i knew someone would hit the buy it now. plus it's a '56 so it has the thirteen panel in front and the california whale tail. i knew the value of it before i bought it. just be smart about it.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
southwestern , Michigan
welcome! my best advice would be to search and study what will work for you and then decide your price range, how much work you are willing to put in it, etc. then, use your best judgement when looking. if you aren't sure, don't stress over it, but if you really fall in love with one, don't hesitate. as the saying goes, "he who hesitates is lost." that is what happened to us when we waited on our first opportunity. believe me, you can't put a price on crying for days over what might have been. follow your heart and be willing to make adjustments and it will work out for you. good luck!
Old 03-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
Hi Susie, and welcome! My best friend lives in and my grandfather lives near Austin--my heart is in the hill country even if my body is in Arkansas!

We actually had a very good eBay experience with buying our 310 RV a month or so ago, but we had a lot of communications with the seller and took precautions.

Bear in mind you will need to have money to spend on your purchase and also money set aside to fix the things that will need fixing before you can really use it. I wouldn't spend my whole saved amount on the trailer and expect it to be flawless. You may even find issues on the way home, regardless if it is just across town or farther out. There is always *something* that will need instant money right after you get it. But, to me, that is some of the joy of the old trailers/RV's--you learn a lot about them as you work on them, and you get to make things the way you want them.

You sound awesome! I am very happy to see women who can work on vehicles and I'll bet your little farm is just great! You go, girl!

Good luck, and I hope you find your dream soon!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

there in west virigina, a airstream on sale at ebay today... but I know nothing about trailer sales..