Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smyrna , Georgia
Smile Hello!

I have been a fan of airstreams for as long as I can remember! Sometimes life throws you curve balls. Even though I am 34, my health has brought me to a place where I know its now or never. I am hoping to find one in GA or close enough that is not too long 18-27 that has been somewhat renovated. Insulation replaced with green friendly option, no harsh chemicals because i am very sensitive to those and solid frame, wood floors, new fresh water tank, toxic free water lines (no plastic) solar would be great. Budget 20-25k at the most. Ive looked on other websites but I think this platform feels more safe since its more enthusiasts targeted. I will be on here looking everyday until i find one, hopefully within the next 2 months if not sooner! Thanks for reading!
Happyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smyrna , Georgia
I havent figured out how to edit so ya'll forgive me, just forgot to post in the intro in case someone runs into one that somewhat fits my needs and decides to share. 1. I have a plug in range, no propane is ok,. 2. I have a Breville Smart Oven, so no oven, no worries, also no microwaves for health reasons. 3. I have a portable solar shower, and will probably be outside showering anyway, so no shower, no problem! 4. have my own furniture, if the AS is a little bare bones inside as long as the bones are good thats all that matters. 5. If you havent wired it, thats ok too, i was going to buy a GOAL zero solar pack anyway. 6. I only need fresh water tank (preferably stainless steel) and grey water, compostable toilet preferred. 7. I havent figured out the fridge thing yet but worst case scenario, a YETI will save me. I think thats everything, thats probably a little more thorough.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi happyfeet, welcome to the forum. I’m sure you’ll be checking the classifieds daily. If you can’t find an Airstream that meets all those requirements maybe go a few years older ( like 10-15 years) and do the renovations yourself if you have the tools and a place to work on it. A lot of people do their own restorations and there are a couple of companies that do full remodeling, of course that makes it a more expensive. Don’t get discouraged if it takes a while to find what you need but you may need to broaden your search area a bit. Well maybe a lot. If you do find one that meets most of your needs I would strongly recommend having one of the forums experts come out and inspect it for you, it’s well worth the money.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:27 AM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Oh, I was re-reading your requirements and I’m pretty sure that all the water lines in Airstreams or any RV are made from plastics. They need to be flexible to withstand all the vibrations that they withstand when being towed.
You happen to be looking at the best time to find a used model, the end of a the travel season for a lot of people especially up north. Again, broadening your search area might be best and I don’t want to put a damper on your hopes of purchasing an Airstream but the size you’re looking for is very popular and hard to find unless you buy new but the new ones (although “green “) may have chemicals that you may be too sensitive to. Finding the one that you want in the next 2 months maybe isn’t the most realistic timeframe but ya never know.
There’s an Airstream dealer on the Northside of Atlanta that has a pretty good reputation, maybe going to sit in a few would help narrow down the model that would work best for you and they may know of someone who is selling. Just a thought

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:36 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Happyfeet,

I'm not an Airstream rebuilder, but you've put together a tall order. No plastic pipe, stainless fresh water are the ones I focused on.

Could a point of use water filter system take care of the water issue? Filter at the kitchen sink, bath and shower type idea?

Replacing insulation, sounds like a gutted and start over unit.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smyrna , Georgia
Lauri,
Thank you for the welcome and for responding! I am totally open to older models (I think they are just sooooooo pretty) and i saw where this site can put you in contact with inspectors, how AWESOME is that?! Now, about water lines needing to be flexible for transportation purposes, why didnt i EVER think of that? LMBO!! Makes total common sense! I was planning on putting in a filtration system, one under the sink and above, like an ionizer or something. You are right, i may have to be a little more patient, which is ok, if im anything its that, so its ok. I went to Southland RV (maybe they do know someone who is selling) and its kind of what narrowed down the options for me and brought me to an AS ultimately, for some odd reason any other RV i step into besides a motorhome, i get a massive headache, weird? So I figured, something to it, listen to the body,. While the small ones are the cutest things ever, realistically speaking, if i tried to live in one, it would not end well, so i know i need something a hair bigger and that tiny sink, it would drive me mad. I cook, all day everyday, if i dont have a full size sink, it would be the end of the world and i would cry,.. lol. I didnt even consider it being the end of the travel season, heck i didnt even know there was one! Since i am planning on living in mine, (my life has changed and i work from home now) I guess i thought, travel season was all seasons! I have so much to learn!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smyrna , Georgia
Gary,
Thank you for responding and hello! I did think of that, we have a system that filters the whole house and I thought, can you do that in an RV? I saw a few RV's that had gone through deep renos and they listed the water lines as copper, maybe its safer? It all sounds like Jack and the Bean stock tall order, did consider just doing a reno myself. Thing is, i would have absolutely NO IDEA what i would be doing, to the point where someone should probably get it on camera, might win some money on America's Funniest Home videos, but it would probably make it that much more special. I would have some great stories and i saw where you can ask questions here, besides theres a book for everything! I may just end up going in that direction, time will tell, :-)
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfeet View Post
Thing is, i would have absolutely NO IDEA what i would be doing, :-)
Happyfeet,

An excellent starting point for your adventure. And you've admitted it upfront.

A great start, now continue your homework, GO TO A RALLY! meet folks and ask questions.

Here's an example. I think I saw you're in GA and this October in NC is Alumalina you, can read all about it here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...-a-195376.html looks like it will be over 150ish rigs get a hotel nearby and ask questions, kick tires, pick brains, bring camera etc.

Other rallies are in the Rally Zone.

Also it will be inevitable your trailer choice will impact your tow vehicle selection or vice versa.

And borrowed from your first post

"I know its now or never"

Get going.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Smyrna , Georgia
Thank you Gary! I love NC, people are laid back and friendly, did not know about Rally's?! I am checking that out!!! If you see a little spanish tiny lady with a camera walking around in lost awww and splendor probably with a chihuahua or 3, its me, LOL. Thank you again!