Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
Priest Lake , Idaho
Hello

Hi!
I am a new member to the forum, a first time Airstream owner, and a first time travel trailer owner. So, I have lots of questions. I have a 1974 Globetrotter (her name is Bertie) that needs lots of work. However, I am living in it this summer and will try to do little fixes but it also has big issues. I am not a handy(wo)man, electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc. So, this is a big learning experience for me. It's also kind of an experiment. If it fails, I'll sell it and be happy that I tried.
Thanks ahead of time!
Carm
carmangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Welcome. If you're not handy now, you will be soon. You'll get lots of help here.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Welcome to the forums, Carm! You'll find all the assistance you need from the knowledgeable folks here and I hope that you have your rig for many years to come.

Michael
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Welcome, that's a good attitude and hopefully it will at the very least be a positive adventure.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
All this handy man/woman stuff is nothing but a willingness to learn and a willingness to work. Be patient, be careful, ask lots of questions. You and Bertie will have fun doing this, and at the end you will know more about your trailer than anyone.

Also, welcome to the Forums.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Welcome aboard! I've learned so much from others on this forum and you will as well. Just ask!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Welcome, Carm & congratulations on your purchase. Never be afraid to learn new things, even the scary stuff like electrical and propane. We have several books on RV maintenance and 12V electrical. I will PM you later with the titles/authors so you can start some research. If you do some digging here, you might find an experienced owner in your area who can look at your trailer and give you a list of projects you should tackle first. They might even be willing to give you some hands-on assistance with more difficult projects. A young couple we've been helping here in our area, found us through the forum. You definitely need to evaluate if your small projects will have to be undone to complete the big projects. If there is any water damage in your trailer, it's a good idea to start there. Water causes a lot of problems with all kind of things from the subfloor to the electrical. Not to mention there could be moldy insulation. Not a safe environment to live in.

Please forgive me if this sounds preachy. Did you get a title with your trailer? It's not uncommon for older trailers to have their titles "misplaced". If you have the title, you're off to a good start. If you don't, contact the seller to begin tracking it down. If they are the last title holder, it's much easier for them to contact the state and request a copy. For a trailer that's been sold repeatedly without a tranfer of title, it's far more difficult for a new owner to get one. A bill of sale won't cut it in this situation. You would need to contact your state and find out what steps you have to take.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote