Old 06-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Chiang Mai , Thailand
Hello

In 2012 at the age of 50 I retired, sold ‘everything’ I owned and moved to Asia to live and travel. I’ve been living overseas for almost 3 years.
Now I want to spend summers in the US along the upper west coast, PNW, BC and even explore Alaska.
Specifically I want to mountain bike, kayak and motorcycle all the great places on the west coast.
My thoughts are I do not want to rent an apt or house as it ties me to that location. I do not want to stay in hotels. I am ok with “camping”, but I think it will get old after a while.
So, I think buying a TT and TV is what I want to do.
My thinking is I have to live somewhere while I’m in the US and might as well take it with me and have the ability to stay where I want and when I want.

I’m not doing this to save money, but to have fun and enjoy my retirement.
I know it’s going to be a large upfront cost and I have set aside money for this… but I will enjoy it and should I stay in the us, I’ll have a TV/TT to have fun in and if I don’t, I can always sell it.

Anyway… I will have LOTS of questions, even after reading thousands of threads on here…

My initial thinking so far is:
TT - AS 23FB. I am traveling solo so I believe this will be the right size, but I am open for suggestions...and AS because they look like they are engineered and built with quality...and they look cool...haha
TV - any one of the 3/4 (2500) diesel 4x4 trucks, extended cab. It might be over kill for this size trailer, but… I will eventually have a motorcycle (300-400lbs), a kayak (40-60lbs), a bicycle (25lbs), probably a generator w/gas, extra water and who knows what else…
My thinking is I don’t want the TT to be a worry and I want to be able to climb up mountains without going slow.

So, be patient with me and my questions and PM’s and everything else… I like to learn as much as I can.. knowledge is good.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Hello, welcome to the forums and back to the US, at least in the summers. We have a 23' and tow with a V-8 4Runner. With the extra gear you want to take along I think just about any full sized pickup will work for you. The 23' maxes out at 4700 lbs, well within the limits of any pickup, and is easy to tow. If you can find one with a front bedroom, that would be my recommendation. Our smallish bed in the back corner is my only complaint. Otherwise, it's great

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Chiang Mai , Thailand
Thanks rich.
I'll be thinking long and hard about TV... I do like the F250 though, maybe just an excuse to get a big 4x4 diesel...haha.

I will probably go with the FB, but I plan to convert to twin beds. Never liked sleeping with anyone for the whole night and gives more room.

My actual time in the trailer will be limited as I would prefer to be outside, unless cold windy and raining.
I'll be doing a lot of reading and research over the next couple of months.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
NOWISEE,
great to see that you have caught on to Airstreaming. I'd consider the a 25 footer for the TT and actually look into a diesel Toyota Land Cruiser that I could take back over to Asia and be able to tour the country side with.
Your options for Land Rover diesels are somewhat limited to meet US specs, but Toyota LCs are all over the world, can be repaired any where and those beaches that we cannot just drive up to and camp on are all over the areas of SEA.
Just some food for thought so you can take it abroad and enjoy.
Good luck.
SL4BLLT
Old 06-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
Rich,
I just read your post and have a question: why a front bedroom?
I am just starting my search for my first vintage airstream and have a lot to
learn.
thanks,
Renae
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Chiang Mai , Thailand
SL4B, I have NO intention of using a trailer in Thailand and the expense of getting a truck into the country is not even worth the cost.
My usage would be only North America.. maybe Mexico, but I doubt it.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by renae226 View Post
Rich,
I just read your post and have a question: why a front bedroom?
I am just starting my search for my first vintage airstream and have a lot to
learn.
thanks,
Renae
We have a corner bed in the back, next to the bathroom. Sometimes the aroma from the bathroom wafts into the bedroom. We keep it as clean as we can, use deodorizers, bag of ice after dumping, etc. I guess I have a sensitive nose, hate to wake up to that.

The other reason is our corner bed requires the wife to crawl over me if she needs to go to the bathroom. It's also difficult to make up the bed since you can't tuck the sheets/covers down the sides, they are against the wall on 3.25 sides.

Don't get me wrong, we love our trailer, but it's the first one we've ever had and we're learning as we go along. No immediate plans but our next AS will be a 25' and most of the configurations have a queen or twins in the front. Potty is amidships or in the stern.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote