Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #29
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
The stress of truck buying is over. I think I did pretty well.

I wanted a new truck - a vanity thing. Never bought myself a brand new vehicle. But in the end it just wasn't needed.

I got a 2006 F-350 Lariat FX4 V10. It is 35.9 months old (a few days left on the warranty) and 35000 miles. Not too old, not too many miles. I took it in today to the Ford dealer and got a major service interval done to it, which included tons of inspections of things I don't know how to inspect, and 4 not-a-big-deal warranty items done before it runs out. Just in time.

It's black too, the color I most wanted. Meant to contrast with the Airstream and match the dark tinted windows. Won't have a combined picture for 6 weeks or more. But I know folk are going to ask so here's a photo from the seller which is very representative.

Already glad I didn't get a diesel because at first the service manager said the work would be about $600, then, no, it's *not* a diesel, so $300, which it was. Buy a good bit of lower-mileage gasoline.

I'm advised to buy a air bag hitch receiver, since the truck is so stiff and somewhat over kill. Eventually I want to get an after market in-dash navigation unit with rear camera and a truck shell.

Still not stress free, but I'm getting there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers Side Rear.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	550.5 KB
ID:	76884  

Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
A/C on 15 A circuit

Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
The air conditioner never quite got happy. There was no 30 amp circuit available. At first too much extension cord was suspected, but even plugged directly into 15 amps with an adapter it still wouldn't seem to go. I didn't experience any of it, but it was something like the sound cycled every 15 seconds, or something - in trying to determine if the compressor was getting started and staying started. It never cooled, that was pretty clear.

With a lot of extension cords I can see the voltage dropping to a problematic level without blowing a fuse. But when plugged in directly, I would think it would blow the 15 amp breaker or work. I don't know. It told them to accept it anyhow and we'll see I guess.
Hi, Bo,

My best guess is that there's nothing wrong with the air conditioner. Sounds like it's trying to start, but the voltage at the trailer is dropping too low and the brownout protection is tripping out.

The reason is, in addition to the smaller breaker, the 15 Amp branch circuit is run with smaller wire. A 30 A branch circuit uses #10 wire; a 15 A branch circuit uses #14 wire. Big difference. If the A/C draws a starting surge of, say 25 A for a few seconds, it may not trip the 15 A breaker--which incorporates a time delay to prevent nuisance trips--but the voltage will drop quite a bit because of the #14 wire.

Boy, you're right, that truck is overkill! I'm with you--there's no payback on a diesel any more, with diesel fuel selling for so much more than gas.

Good luck,

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Get a good voltmeter

or even the $20 one at Camping World and watch how much voltage drop you get when you try to start the A/C on a 15A circuit. You won't try that again!

I keep one of the CW meters plugged in at all times, in order to keep track of what's happening to the trailer electrics.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #32

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Nice Soft Rear.

The Air Hitch would be a good option, but not the only one.

Others here can offer advice on what, if anything they've done on 3500 rear suspensions.

Sweet Streams....
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
1964 19' Globetrotter
2012 Interstate Coach
vero beach , Florida
Wink Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post

Those who drink Absinthe becareful. Absinthe is made from a plant called worm wood. Worm wood means Vermouth in German. Van Gough drank the stuff and it made him crazy. Absinthe is a poison and should not be used all the time. I tcan cause you to hallucinate and can make you sick. It also is known for making you get really wild and crazy.
It is illegal in this country and if I am correct only a few European countries still sell it. It is a green milky looking drink.

Hey, where can I get some of that stuff?
Dennis & Ellen

07, 25' Ocean Breeze
64, 19' Globetrotter

Air #7609
denellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
here is where I get mine... Absinthe - Absinthe, buy Absinthe and Absinthe Accessories online, order now, drink tomorrow! it is the real stuff not the imitation they sell here.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Comr by Springstream to meet some great ffolks and learn more about the AS life. I am described by my family as "an old(disgusting word) hippie-same category as bohemian-or close. Have a happy life!

The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote