Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
Headin' West Again

Hi -- This is a first post.

We were tent campers as newlyweds and when the kids were small; we enjoyed using my parents' slide-in truck camper in S. Indiana, to Minnesota and Colorado. We had a popup for several years which we took from Maine to Yellowstone. We'd always fantacized about a quality RV -- 'looked seriously at 5th wheels (my folks had a Holiday Rambler 5th wheel after the truck camper) but really couldn't get enthused about lugging that much. We wanted to be more nimble than a fifth wheel would allow. Then having once looked seriously at an AS -- there was no turning back.

After a couple years of looking, shopping and learning and following the ads on the Airstreamer site -- trying to purchase a couple late models and not getting there quick enough -- I found a cherry 2003 25' Classic - twin in Florida. I was fortunate to have business in Orlando in late March of '05, drove 90 miles to take a look and was hooked. I couldn't tell that anyone had ever set foot inside! I flew home, broke the news to my wife that this was IT -- and a few weeks later, we headed off in our 3/4 T. GMC - 6.0 (4.10) rear end to get it. It was great adventure heading off 1100 miles to pick up the trailer -- that she hadn't yet seen. She too was hooked immediately. We really enjoyed our maiden voyage back to Illinois.

In mid-July we set out for the Olympic Peninsula and loved every mile and moment of the trip. So, in a period of 3 months, we pulled our AS from the Atlantic coast of Florida - to LaPush -- on the farthest western extreme of the Olympic Peninsula.

What a joy to pull. At first, I'd lusted after a Duramax, but no more. I passed everything on the road going uphill over the continental divide. We were gone 25 days, travelled 5400 miles and averaged 10.3 mpg --and gas is cheaper than diesel at this point. I can't imagine an easier tow.

My biggest frustration on that first serious trip was the time I spent the first couple days -- getting the load leveling hitch adjusted to my satisfaction ie. tuning the bounce/hitch weight etc.

I loved visiting with folks at the campgrounds . . . 'new friends!!

This year, my nephew is being married in Seattle in August -- and so, we plan to depart in late July for a return to the Pacific Northwest and will travel a different route -- just for the variety of it.

We're a couple years away from retirement when we hope to get much more use out of the AS. 'til then, happily, I dare to think I have enough flexibility that by remaining in touch with a laptop, I can get away for several weeks at a stretch.

My greatest complaint with the campgrounds is woefully inadequate internet access. I know, I know . . . we're not supposed to be fiddling with that while RVing . . . but a wireless broadband setup is not costly to install and would be a great draw to me . . . and I'd have to think, many others. I have no intention of connecting to cable TV -- but I'd sure like an internet connection! (I was frustrated that the RV parks that advertised an internet connection -- most often had grossly misrepresented their services and capacity.) That said, we're looking forward to boondocking on the way west this year.

'sorry to get off on that side-trip. We LOVED our trip . . . and best, I think my wife enjoyed it more than I.

We did enjoy my portable XM radio in the AS - however. You can have great music in the boondocks.

The 25' AS is the perfect size for us. Any less wouldn't be enough; any more wouldn't be as nimble as we want to be and I wouldn't want to pull it. We love the rear twin configuration.

Now, if we can just find a couple weekends to camp this spring . . .

'wondering if we'd get our money's worth out of Wally Byam club . . . ?

'glad to be aboard. 'more new friends!!!

dkb
farmboydkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Farmboy,

Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoy reading how different folks get the A/S bug.

Why don't you try to make the the rally at Moraine View?

Here's the link to the information.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #3
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Welcome to the forum and I enjoyed reading your posting.
As to your question about is it worthwhile joining the WBCCI, I’d say check out WBCCI web site, call them to get their information and then visit some of the local Unit rallies. You’ll find lots of information & opinions on this AS Forums site. All clubs & organizations are what the members make it. Although we are "new members" we’re quite happy with our unit and have enjoyed the rallies and the company of the other members. I suggest you give it a try. Good luck.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
2011 27' FB Classic
Fisher , Illinois
Moraine View -- Yeah!

Dennis -- thanks for the note. The Moraine View gathering sounds great . . . and handy. That's a super campground! There is a family reunion about that time that I need to make. I'll check the dates. Thanks again. That'd be just the ticket!
dkb
farmboydkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum. I love a long winded enthusiastic introduction and yours was a pleasure to read. Illinois has many wonderful state parks to camp in maybe we can meet up with you sometime. If ever you come North let me know.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Greetings from Carbondale

Congratulations on the new coach and welcome to the forums. Sounds like you are getting alot of enjoyment out of your airstream. Remember, flash your head lights when you see us all out there on the road or come over and say hi if we arent moving

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Internet access

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboydkb
Hi
My greatest complaint with the campgrounds is woefully inadequate internet access. I know, I know . . . we're not supposed to be fiddling with that while RVing . . . but a wireless broadband setup is not costly to install and would be a great draw to me . . . and I'd have to think, many others. I have no intention of connecting to cable TV -- but I'd sure like an internet connection! (I was frustrated that the RV parks that advertised an internet connection -- most often had grossly misrepresented their services and capacity.) dkb
Welcome aboard,
A fairly cheap and effective way to get Internet access while camping is to use a cell phone with a data cable to your laptop.
An external antenna on top or your Airstream will significantly improve your signal strength in outlaying areas.
Verizon has quite good coverage across the US and has a couple of data rate options.
You can learn more at;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forums farmboy. I think you will find lots of good stuff here to further your passion for Airstreaming.

As far as joining the WBCCI there are many threads here in the Our Community Forum that deal with whether or not to join. Who ever you talk to will give you different advice, both positive and negative, but the best advice I received was to simply go check out a local unit's next rally. Most, if not all, will be excited to have you camp with them as a prospective member.

As you see people on the forums with links to their Unit website or newsletter, check those out too. They may be great indicators of whether or not that group is the kind of group you would want to join.

Don't take anyone's word for what a unit might be like since all units are a different mix of ages, cultures, ideals, and trailer models. Go out and take a look.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Welcome farmboy and family

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboydkb
Hi --
My greatest complaint with the campgrounds is woefully inadequate internet access. I know, I know . . . we're not supposed to be fiddling with that while RVing . . . but a wireless broadband setup is not costly to install and would be a great draw to me . . . and I'd have to think, many others. I have no intention of connecting to cable TV -- but I'd sure like an internet connection! (I was frustrated that the RV parks that advertised an internet connection -- most often had grossly misrepresented their services and capacity.) That said, we're looking forward to boondocking on the way west this year.
We did enjoy my portable XM radio in the AS - however. You can have great music in the boondocks.
dkb
Hey Farmboy and family! This forum is a great place to learn about all kinds of camping, there was a thread about boondocking and internet access at http://www.airforums.com/forum...kin-20507.html

Michigan's state parks are even getting into the WIFI act! Great lakes and the internet...wow.

We loved our first trip with the XM too! Have a great time this summer!
I predict you will really enjoy this forum!
Old 02-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Nice story

Enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing. ENJOY!

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Welcome Farmboy...quite an adventure buying your AS so far alway...I bought my mh about 1,100 mi from my home...If your trip west takes you through N. Calif check out the many state parks...great camping in a beautiful area...joe...
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote