Old 10-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #29
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
In our travels with our diesel pickup and 34' trailer, we have found that once we got used to looking for diesel stations they got easier and easier to find. More and more stations are being built that have larger lots, room to pull in the site to shut off the propane, then move to the pumps. I'm not saying that it's easy..... just a few more things to be aware of. As mentioned before, stations that sell diesel, not all pumps have diesel available at them, most likely will be at the pumps on the outside ends of the site. At busy stations, you'll find that you'll contend with gas-burners that will be filling up at the pump you need and you will have to wait patiently. With the trailer in tow, it's not always easy to wait in line without blocking other's access, but you do what you can to be as courteous as possible, and hope others return the favor! I don't generally find it necessary to fill up at big-truck islands, but do occasionally if it's needed.
If you do decide to get a diesel truck, try to get your diesel at a station that looks like it's in the business of selling diesel, not just a side line. I look for the larger convenience store chains that have lots of pumps. Most times, you can bet that the diesel in their underground tank has not been sitting for months on end gathering moisture. Sometimes, it's easy to look at the pump itself and tell that it gets used a lot. With the number of diesel pickups on the road these days, stations are missing out on a lot of business if they don't sell diesel. Stations I avoid are those that DO sell diesel, but their price is extraordinarily high compared to other local stations. I assume that there are other shoppers like me that DO care about price and would pass up higher-priced stations. These days with our whiz-bang phones, it's very easy to find good prices.

PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote