Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Thumbs up Hatteras Island newbies

Well, We finally got her. She's a beauty too. New 2006 Safari 23. Picked her up Monday at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood New Jersey. Very nice bunch of people, and very efficient. Stayed in her that night, just to try it out, and since home is 9 hours away.

Only problems are the ceiling lights in bath vanity and toilet areas don't come on. Am going to have to check the wiring and switches. Fuses good, and bulbs look good. Also, had that same problem with the fancy self squegee shower door. It leaked at the bottom right corner and wet the floor out in the kitchen. Thank goodness for vinyl. Will have to caulk that. And, someone needs to tell the factory that the plywood subfloor needs to be a little thicker. Can see the cross members ridges under the floor.

Hope it works out OK...really tows nice.
gotohatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Congratulations on the new trailer, I hope all of your issues are easily resolved. Enjoy!
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby! You're going to love Airstreaming.

I had a similar problem with a 12 volt light. The automotive fuse looked good, but in fact it was blown. Try bridging that circuit with a couple of alligator clips on a wire to test it.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Congratulations and welcome!

Lovely area you are from! Good luck with your trailer, and have many happy adventures. We had a great time camping in the outer banks and hope to return again soon!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotohatteras
Well, We finally got her. She's a beauty too. New 2006 Safari 23. Picked her up Monday at Colonial Airstream in Lakewood New Jersey. Very nice bunch of people, and very efficient. Stayed in her that night, just to try it out, and since home is 9 hours away.

Only problems are the ceiling lights in bath vanity and toilet areas don't come on. Am going to have to check the wiring and switches. Fuses good, and bulbs look good. Also, had that same problem with the fancy self squegee shower door. It leaked at the bottom right corner and wet the floor out in the kitchen. Thank goodness for vinyl. Will have to caulk that. And, someone needs to tell the factory that the plywood subfloor needs to be a little thicker. Can see the cross members ridges under the floor.

Hope it works out OK...really tows nice.
I have a new 2006 23 CCD, and had the same problem with the shower door. Took it back to airstream and they caulked it. Regarding the lights, make sure you try all of the switches, and check your fuses as well. It turns out in ours that the bathroom light is switched by the one that controls the vanity overheads so if you want to quitely sneak into the bathroom at night, you have to light up the whole bedroom if you want to see!

We had a bunch of other things wrong as well, but still love the trailer, even with a bunch of things wrong!

Mike
mikelevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Royal Oak , Michigan
Unsolicited safety advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new baby! You're going to love Airstreaming.

I had a similar problem with a 12 volt light. The automotive fuse looked good, but in fact it was blown. Try bridging that circuit with a couple of alligator clips on a wire to test it.
I have to go on record as saying that this is a really bad idea. This is the airstream version of the "penny in the fusebox" that started so many house fires in the old days.

The reason that the fuse is there is to prevent additional damage, and keep you from starting a fire if you have an overload condition.

If you bridge the fuse with clips, you are going to either burn something up, melt wiring, or damage whatever is shorted more.

If you are blowing fuses, you need to find and fix the problem. If you need to test the fuse, pull the fuse out and check it with a meter!!!

Mike
mikelevitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats on the new Safari. The Colonial folks are good.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Thanks for all the nice responses. I'm going to try switching fuses with one that I know works first(even though the circuit is labeled like it also provides power to the bath ceiling fan, and it works). And, we already did try the light switch method...no dice. It could be that the fixtures themselves both have bad push button switches...stranger things have happened. So, the Colonial folks can send me new fixtures, since we are 9 hours away. The caulking should fix the shower door. Oh, and we are already going to remove the door for the head/shower closet...it's useless and in the way. Taking it out will make more "elbow" room. I'm sure we'll work our way through these minor problems. We've had a pop-up, truck campers, fifth wheel, and two motorhomes. Actually this one is pretty good shape. The only better was the Lance truck camper we traded in...it was perfect from the beginning! Happy Camping!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
One more thing...the Colonial folks have been awesome ! Especially
Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Congratulations

Hi newbies,

Now that we have a forum member in the Outer Banks, plan on seeing us sometime in the future. Last year we took an American tour, made a big loop around the country which included your beautiful area. We ranked your area in the top 3 of all of the areas we visited, so much we extended our 1 day stopover to a 3 day excursion. There is nothing like taking the Airstream over water on the ferry....super cool. Did I mention the fresh seafood BBQ we had each night...yum.yum!

John
Old 06-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Avon , North Carolina
Thanks for all the responses! We found a "hidden switch" under the medicine cabinet on the same panel where you turn on the H2Oheater. The shower door leak will be fine now, just needed some caulk in a corner. Nothing else wrong yet. Stayed in it one night, but leaving Monday for another few days tryout. We have removed the door to the toilet/shower area. It just got in the way anyway. It really opened up the area. If you really want privacy on the hopper, you can close the accordion door in the hall.

Have to say that all the folks at Colonial Airstream have been awesome!
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #12
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Haven't been to the Outer Banks for a few years now, but we LOVE the place. We have some very good friends that are retired and live there full time, (I believe in Avon), and I used to go surf casting there quite often. I miss it.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote