Old 12-09-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1995 28' Excella
Flemington , New Jersey
Happy to be here.

Thank you in advance to all the members who I know will be a wonderful source for the many questions I'm sure I'll have. My wife Holly and I just purchased a 28 foot, 1995 Excella and are looking forward to the restoration that will make it our own. We've always loved the classic look of the Airstream and were certain we'd eventually own one. We are not new to the RV life style having had 2 C class motor homes through the years and traveled to over 40 states with our kids and dogs. The kids are older now and are not interested in traveling with us so we are looking to the future when it will be just the 2 of us.
We also have a classic 1969 41 ft Hatteras Twin cabin motor yacht that we use as our NJ shore house during the summer. Like many Airstreams it has a beautiful wood interior. We are eventually hoping to use the boat as our spring, summer and early fall home and the Airstream to travel in through the winter months in warmer climates. We are yet to purchase a tow vehicle and will be asking members their thoughts in the future.

GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Nice to see another NJ'er here. There are a few but not many on the forum. I don't know them but I do see one here from Ringoes. Maybe we should get together one of these days. We just joined the WBCCI and the Watchung NJ unit a few months ago. Think about it. They are a pretty active group. We take off in late Jan and head south to warmer climates too. It's part of being retired.

I hope your trailer is road worthy and you can enjoy it while you work and bring it up to your standards.

See ya on the road sometime.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
1995 28' Excella
Flemington , New Jersey
Thanks for the reply Roger. I'm not quite ready to retire yet. We're on a 1 1/2 year plan so that should give us plenty of time for the renovations. Let's stay in touch since as you say, there are not many of us in NJ.
Best, Greg
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome GregT, nice to meet you. Airstream founder Wally Byum loved yachts and marketed his trailers as Land Yachts, Trade Winds, and the like. I don't know if Airstreams are quite as nice as a yacht on the inside. My old 86 Limited has the hickory cabinetry that do look nice and have stood up well through the years. The 66 Trade Wind, although the base model, had plywood cabinets which are so so at best. I think you'll find your 95 Excella pretty well built and should last a very long time.

You'll see some beautifully renovated Airstreams that folks have done themselves here in these forums. Maybe you are going to make your Airstream like your yacht? Did you see the photos of the 2014 Land Yacht Airstream model which is suppose to look like the inside of a yacht. Maybe it's on the Airstream website.

We're retired too and plan on using our Airstream for traveling, especially in the spring and fall. We went through New England last fall and found it beautiful, and the people we met very nice. This spring we want to head to the southeast part of the country for some southern hospitality.

We hope to see you participate in these Forums and hope you enjoy the experience.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote