Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Pearl River , Louisiana
Happy New Member Year Avion Owner

Well. Katrina really did me in living on the water. , so I got on Ebay and won a 34 foot 1985 Avion that I love. The previos owners were anxious to get back to FL because of the hurricaine and I got a one hour primer on trailers 101. Iwas going to get one anyway. Now I need to figure out how to get heat. The heater kicks on automatically but noheat comes out. I'll make sure I have enough propane. Is there a pilot light on these things to fire off. I don't see one when I take the panel off. Just don't want to blow the trailer up...

Lacombe, LA

Docgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota

I am no expert on furnaces, however here is what I do know. Can you hear igniters clicking? You should and if you don't, I would suspect the electronic control is faulty. Needs to be replaced.
If you do hear the clicking then there is a sail switch internal. There has to be a certain amount of airflow to push it over and allow the furnace to light. Often times insects and birds ect. get in there and build nests or whatever that restrict airflow. Needs to be cleaned out for the sail switch to open.
Anything else and I would take it to a dealer.

There is no "I" in the word "team," but there are four in "Platitude Quoting Idiot!"

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
There are a number of minor things to check. First, it's a good idea on any twenty year old furnace to have an expert check it to make sure all of the chimney connections are good, that the firebox is air tight, and that it's not going to leak carbon monoxide in and kill you while you sleep. Older furnaces have pilot lights. Newer furnaces have electronic ignitions. An '85 could have either. You'll just have to look at your unit. If you know the make and model #, you might be able to find an owner's manual or installation manual on the web from the manufacturer's website.

That said, first it takes a considerable amount of time for propane to displace the air and work it's way through the small propane lines to your burner. Patience is a virtue in this case.

Secondly, almost all propane appliances will have a shut-off in the line, usually within 18" or so of the pilot light. Make sure that your gas shut off valve is on. Then, patience is a virtue...

Many folks turn their gas stove on and get the burners lit as the first thing they do after turning on the gas. That gets a significant amount of propane moving down the lines more quickly. Then light each appliance next in order of their appearance down the propane lines. last... patience is a virtue!

Critters (spiders) also seem to have a penchant for propane burners. I've cleaned three spider webs out of water heater burners this year. I've seen one burner tube blocked to the point that propane wasn't getting through it at all! It's entirely possible that you may have a burner blocked by a critter web. A disassembly of the burner and some well applied compressed air will usually take care of that problem.

If you've been patient, and you can smell propane from the furnace, and the burner tube is clean and the ignitor is working, but it still doesn't want to light, then it's time to get professional help.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote