Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
Hail Damage

Our 2003 Safari received extensive hail damage (golf/tennis ball size). We are awaiting final estimate as well as response from insurance, but it appears the insurance company may total the trailer.

We have discovered in the Forum and other research that hail dents are not unusual and are even considered as "beauty marks" by some, unless the aluminum skin has been breeched in some way (i.e., pin holes).

The estimate being finalized by our Airstream dealer does include replacing a number of upper side and front panels, but does not include any replacement of roof panels. The roof looks like a battlefield, full of pings as well as some much larger divets from the large hail. The Airstream factory has informed our dealer that they do not recommend replacing roof panels because it may jeopardize the integrity of the trailer. We also learned that the trailer would have to be completely gutted and the roof would have to be buck riveted in order to replace the roof panels.

We would greatly appreciate any information or advice relative to such roof damage. Also, we would especially appreciate any advice concerning the best options we should consider if the insurance company totals the trailer.
stratosboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
My heart aches for you!!!

If it were me, I may consider keeping it. However, if the damage is that severe or noticeable, or more noticeable to "you", then perhaps a total on the trailer may be a better option.

I've often wondered how this type of situation would play out with different insurance companies for newer trailers.

Maybe it gets totaled out and you get a new trailer with some newer options that you didn't get before? (i.e. AC with heat pump, inverters, etc) That may be something appealing to you??

Who are you insured through? Your auto insurance or a separate policy? I've heard that having a separate policy (i.e. through Foremost) would be better than adding to the auto policy as you can get a full replacement (for the first 5 years I think) if the trailer gets totaled, provided that the trailer was new when you bought it and you only "total" it 1 time in that 5 year window.

I'm surprised that the factory said that the roof panels could not be replaced without risk... that doesn't make sense to me...

Let us know how it plays out for you. If in the future you want a recommendation on a covered storage location in RR, let me know. I store mine up off Gatti School Road...

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess if they are stating that they don't want to replace the white roof panel, then that to me is a non issue (other than the insurance settlement). Obviously no one sees that roof under normal circumstances any way. Now the end caps and other aluminum components can be repaired without affecting the structural integrity so to me, it sounds like you can get your trailer back hopefully to its pre-hail state.

Personally, my suggestion is to call Jackson Center and talk to them about your damage and hear for yourself what is repairable.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
I guess if they are stating that they don't want to replace the white roof panel, then that to me is a non issue (other than the insurance settlement). Obviously no one sees that roof under normal circumstances any way. Now the end caps and other aluminum components can be repaired without affecting the structural integrity so to me, it sounds like you can get your trailer back hopefully to its pre-hail state.

Personally, my suggestion is to call Jackson Center and talk to them about your damage and hear for yourself what is repairable.

Jack
Thas right!! Make sure you e-mail pics to them first, and make sure those pics have a ruler or meauring tape as reference for them to see the actual size of some of the impacts you have, as well as wide angle pics showing the general areas too.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi stratosboati--Sorry to hear of your hail damage loss on such a fine A/S. You have definitely lost value on the A/S because of the hail. Would your insurance co. consider a cash settlement to you covering the amount of the loss, and you keep the trailer, as is? You would then have cash in hand, an A/S that still functioned the same as before, and a great story to tell everyone who asks, "what happened to your A/S?". I had hail damage on a new Suburban a few years back, and made a similar insurance settlement.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
A settlement could be a cash cow. I have a friend that bought a used Layton for $9500 a few years ago. Last year he got some hail damage which was really not very noticeable. The insurance company totalled the rig and paid him $9,500, then he turned around and bought it back from them for $600. He essentially has a free trailer.

On another note, I'm sweating tonight because we've got severe weather in the forecast and I've got room for only one Airstream under cover. Since the cruiser is getting new skin it'll have to be the sacrificial lamb.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Three weeks ago I was pulling our trailer south on I75 heading into a storm. I heard a weather report indicating that hail was a possibility and that a tornado was reported north of Nashville, I was three hours north of Nashville heading towards it. My fear was the hail, the rains came and you could barely see, the traffic was at a crawl. The hail started to fall, all I could think about was trying to find an overpass to get some protection. The hail only lasted a couple of minutes and it seemed soft but a good size. Where I come from, hail isn’t a threat but traveling through the States makes me think about all the natural threats that could cause damage to the trailer. I’m just curious where you encountered the hail, were you in motion at the time, could you have avoided the hail in some way. It would be nice if there was a bubble type cover that could be attached to the trailer to repel the hail. It’s a helpless feeling when you are on an interstate, the hard rain comes and then the hail and all you can do is pull over to try to minimize the impact.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

In answer to one of the questions, we do carry separate insurance on the trailer. Related to the rest of the suggestions and advice, we have since been contacted by the insurance adjustor and informed that the trailer will be totaled.

Our financial settlement is satisfactory to us; however, we will not have the option to buy back the trailer at salvage value. We were informed that the salvage company will be auctioning the trailer and we will be given all the information we need if we decide to bid on it.

Although we know from the financial aspect that we are probably fortunate, we are very saddened by the loss of our Safari A/S.

Thanks again; RV'ers/Airstreamers are a great group of people.

Gary and Debra
Old 04-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
A frightening experience. We know a family that lost their home by that storm in Nashville, so we count our blessings.

We're in the central Texas area and did not have the opportunity to seek cover. In our lives, we have never experienced such large hail. Since purchasing our A/S four years ago--pea or marble sized hail twice, but with no resulting damage.

Interesting your statement about a "bubble-type cover." We've been discussing the very same thing.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My experience

I had similar hail damage on my TrailManor a few years ago. The insurance company (USAA) gave me a check for about $8500 and told me that if I repaired the damage, they would continue to fully insure the trailer. Optionally, I could keep the cash and they would insure the trailer for anything except hail damage.

I foolishly had the trailer repaired at the factory (new roof panels) and it was never quite the same after that. My friend, who was parked beside me and had similar damage, traded the trailer and the cash even up and walked away with a brand new trailer with all the updates since his old one was manufactured. He definitely came out the better in the deal.

My Classic is under roof at Dripping Springs. An Austin friend had light damage on his 2000 Classic in the recent storm and has moved it to convered storage in Round Rock.

With tonight's forecast of probable hail, I'm glad mine is under cover. In fact, if it really gets to looking bad, I'll drive the diesel out to the storage yard and put it in an empty stall. Otherwise, the truck is unprotected at home. I sat the last storm out that way, eating ice cream, watching radar on TV, and listening to the hail and rain on 1/2 acre of the metal roof overhead.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
With tonight's forecast of probable hail, I'm glad mine is under cover. In fact, if it really gets to looking bad, I'll drive the diesel out to the storage yard and put it in an empty stall. Otherwise, the truck is unprotected at home. I sat the last storm out that way, eating ice cream, watching radar on TV, and listening to the hail and rain on 1/2 acre of the metal roof overhead.
John,

You kill me... If I had 30A service at my covered storage I'd probably go out there for storms or any other reason just to be with the trailer!!!

I get withdrawl symptoms if it gets past 2 weeks since the last outing!!

stratosboat1,

I'm glad this worked out to your satisifaction. Let us know what length and model AS you get next. We'll all be green with envy!!

Kevin
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
My brand new Airstream was "Baptised" to hail within 4 months. Mostly pot marks, but it made me ill to see it happening and I was helpless to do anything about it. I guess if you own an Airstream long enough, the odds are on Mother Nature's side that you will suffer hail damage. At least now, I don''t fret if I get a rock ding or something. Maybe keeping my blood pressure down is good.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've encountered large hail on the road, only once in my towing lifetime. It was back in '83 and we were on the Interstate heading out and only 8 miles from home. At the time I was towing my new 21' Hi-Lo trailer on one of its first trips.

It was pouring down rain and the hail started, small at first then growing. We looked for the nearest overpass but the traffic had already blocked that up. The hail continued and was getting big, I took the first exit hoping to find a covered gas station only to find those also occupied. I ended up at a fast food restaurant and pulled as close as I could to a big overhanging tree sacrificing my car in the open, hoping that the tree could slow the hail down.

When the rain and hail stopped. I got out and only found a couple of dings on the side of the Hi-Lo. The front and rear end caps were fiberglass and were unharmed. I probably had about 20 good dings on the roof of the trailer. My car had no marks at all.

I got an estimate of $1,400 to repair the damage, pocketed the check and bought an air conditioner for the trailer....at the time a real luxury. Not much you can do if you can't run for cover. Funny thing was I bought that trailer new in the fall of '82 for $8,200. 14 years later I privately sold it for $5,500. Considering the insurance adjustment and what I sold it for, that Hi-Lo was a pretty good investment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
I had a car destroyed by softball-sized hail in Fort Worth in the spring of '95, with me in it, stuck on the interstate. Would have likely "destroyed" me too, had it not been for the fact that the sunroof was steel, as opposed to the glass one I have now. As a result I haven't looked at an approaching storm the same way since. Ever since I've owned this Airstream it's been under cover when stored. Of course, if something happens on the road or in a campground, then I'm as helpless as I was back then. Besides, I've seen the evidence to prove it - the dimples on the roof - she's already a veteran. New got rubbed off long before I owned her!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
Contributing Member

Another close call ducked

I took the diesel out to the storage yard about 11:00 last night. The cat and I spent the night in the trailer with the truck safely tucked into an empty slot nearby. No hail at the storage yard or at home, thank goodness, but it rained like I have never seen before. I just now arrived home.

The TV was predicting all sorts of hail and tornados passing just north of us. At the storage yard, I knew I would be at the extreme soouthern end of the storm and I am parked between steel-framed buildings and shielded behind and to the storm side by a line of massive motorhomes. Even so, the trailer rocked a bit in some of the heavier gusts.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had a tree fall on my garage a three years ago. Cracked one of the main ribs and put stress cracks on the slab (built in the 1950's-- no footings). The soft parts of the branches light brushed the roof of our Bambi, but it got away without a single scratch! We'll the insurance company deemed it a complete loss and I opted to cash out collecting about 5 digits, then going to Home Depot and spending about $200 in materials to get the frame supported and re-enforced. It's lasted us 3 years to date and had 36" of snow on top, 70mph winds. Of course, if the garage gets hit by a tornado, or does collapse/gets damaged, they won't pay for the garage again unless it was rebuilt, but they would pay for any contents inside if they were damaged.

Depending on what $$$ they come to you with, I'd be inclined to also take the money and run. If you want to buy it back for cheap, great, you have yourself a cheap, damaged trailer to work on as a hobby or a functional unit depending on the extent of the damage and what you want to do to get it at least operational (no leaks) --or-- take the $$$ and move on.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:26 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosboat1
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

Our financial settlement is satisfactory to us; however, we will not have the option to buy back the trailer at salvage value. We were informed that the salvage company will be auctioning the trailer and we will be given all the information we need if we decide to bid on it.

Gary and Debra
I would question this! It may be different in your state or with your policy, but normally the owner has first right of refusal on salvage. We had this issue recently with a loss. The insurance company sold our salvage without notifying us, we now have an addtional claim pending against them and the adjuster that authorized the sale has had his liscense censured and may lose it all together. Seems he was in cahoots with the salvage companies and pocketing some type of kickback. BTW this a nationally known insurance company not a small local one. On another loss of an automobile they totalled it out and sent us a form to refuse salvage if we chose. On that form was the price if we wanted to purchase the salvage. We chose to take the money on that one. Diffrent company BTW.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:55 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
John, you are definitely a hard-core Airstream captain!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:12 PM   #19
Contributing Member

Tornado damage

I just received this from a friend who has a ranch near Cherokee, TX. His 2006 Classic 31 was in a beautiful big steel-framed barn and he thought it was completely safe there.
Quote:
We had a tornado t'other nite. Tore up stuff all across the ranch and then
it blew the barn door in and trashed the back 1/3 of the Airstream. The
door blew off the tracks and came into the barn like a flag and flapped on
the top and back of the trailer. The other door blew out and all to
pieces. All the back panels are dented and the fantastic fan over the bed
is destroyed and the panels on the top of the trailer are dented.....Lots
of trees down. A tree crushed the pumphouse over where you'all camped. The big cedar elm next to it is on top of it. A tree fell on the gate over at
the little house and 100' of fence are missing. It missed the main house
by 20' and shredded a bunch of the trees on the way to the barn. SHirley
and I jumped down the stairwell and rode it out. The main house had no
damage except a screen was torn off one window. Got over 1 mile of light
to moderate devastation across the ranch................I don't know if we
can come to the Aransas now. I can tape up the vent really tight. Then
the trailer goes to rehab....When it passed over the house it sucked all
the water out of the toilets up thru the sewer stack and made a huge
whistling noise....
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 PM   #20
Contributing Member

A photo to go with the last post

Here is the flapping door that flogged his trailer. I can picture how it must have been hammering the top part of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlappingDoor.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	20931  
WBCCI #9632