Old 04-29-2006, 07:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Another close call ducked

I took the diesel out to the storage yard about 11:00 last night. The cat and I spent the night in the trailer with the truck safely tucked into an empty slot nearby. No hail at the storage yard or at home, thank goodness, but it rained like I have never seen before. I just now arrived home.

The TV was predicting all sorts of hail and tornados passing just north of us. At the storage yard, I knew I would be at the extreme soouthern end of the storm and I am parked between steel-framed buildings and shielded behind and to the storm side by a line of massive motorhomes. Even so, the trailer rocked a bit in some of the heavier gusts.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had a tree fall on my garage a three years ago. Cracked one of the main ribs and put stress cracks on the slab (built in the 1950's-- no footings). The soft parts of the branches light brushed the roof of our Bambi, but it got away without a single scratch! We'll the insurance company deemed it a complete loss and I opted to cash out collecting about 5 digits, then going to Home Depot and spending about $200 in materials to get the frame supported and re-enforced. It's lasted us 3 years to date and had 36" of snow on top, 70mph winds. Of course, if the garage gets hit by a tornado, or does collapse/gets damaged, they won't pay for the garage again unless it was rebuilt, but they would pay for any contents inside if they were damaged.

Depending on what $$$ they come to you with, I'd be inclined to also take the money and run. If you want to buy it back for cheap, great, you have yourself a cheap, damaged trailer to work on as a hobby or a functional unit depending on the extent of the damage and what you want to do to get it at least operational (no leaks) --or-- take the $$$ and move on.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosboat1
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

Our financial settlement is satisfactory to us; however, we will not have the option to buy back the trailer at salvage value. We were informed that the salvage company will be auctioning the trailer and we will be given all the information we need if we decide to bid on it.

Gary and Debra
I would question this! It may be different in your state or with your policy, but normally the owner has first right of refusal on salvage. We had this issue recently with a loss. The insurance company sold our salvage without notifying us, we now have an addtional claim pending against them and the adjuster that authorized the sale has had his liscense censured and may lose it all together. Seems he was in cahoots with the salvage companies and pocketing some type of kickback. BTW this a nationally known insurance company not a small local one. On another loss of an automobile they totalled it out and sent us a form to refuse salvage if we chose. On that form was the price if we wanted to purchase the salvage. We chose to take the money on that one. Diffrent company BTW.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
John, you are definitely a hard-core Airstream captain!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Tornado damage

I just received this from a friend who has a ranch near Cherokee, TX. His 2006 Classic 31 was in a beautiful big steel-framed barn and he thought it was completely safe there.
Quote:
We had a tornado t'other nite. Tore up stuff all across the ranch and then
it blew the barn door in and trashed the back 1/3 of the Airstream. The
door blew off the tracks and came into the barn like a flag and flapped on
the top and back of the trailer. The other door blew out and all to
pieces. All the back panels are dented and the fantastic fan over the bed
is destroyed and the panels on the top of the trailer are dented.....Lots
of trees down. A tree crushed the pumphouse over where you'all camped. The big cedar elm next to it is on top of it. A tree fell on the gate over at
the little house and 100' of fence are missing. It missed the main house
by 20' and shredded a bunch of the trees on the way to the barn. SHirley
and I jumped down the stairwell and rode it out. The main house had no
damage except a screen was torn off one window. Got over 1 mile of light
to moderate devastation across the ranch................I don't know if we
can come to the Aransas now. I can tape up the vent really tight. Then
the trailer goes to rehab....When it passed over the house it sucked all
the water out of the toilets up thru the sewer stack and made a huge
whistling noise....
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
A photo to go with the last post

Here is the flapping door that flogged his trailer. I can picture how it must have been hammering the top part of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlappingDoor.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	20931  
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Wow. Hail is one thing. Tornado comes along and all bets are off! Happy to hear it wasn't completely destroyed. Sounds like he was fortunate to have not sustained more damage overall than he did.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Some good news on the tornado damaged trailer

Heard from my friend this morning. Roof dents are minor and he can live with them. Fantastic fan needs replaced. Rear window is pushed in slightly and rear cap is badly beat up. Sounds like the trailer is salvagable with all or part of a new rear cap. He is taking it to the dealer in Dublin today for an estimate. I'm going to suggest he take it to Jackson Center.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Round Rock , Texas
Ditto on WOW...Also surprised there is not more damage to the trailer. We visited the dealer at Dublin yesterday. There was a used 2005 25' Safari on their lot that the dealer repaired...the trailer came in with read-end damage. To our eyes, the repair looked really good. Nice staff.

Hope all works out for your friend.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hey John

How'd ya do last night? Another evening at the storage facility?

Old 05-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Didn't have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
How'd ya do last night? Another evening at the storage facility?
The storms went well north of us. Lots of lightning and jus a little bit of rain where we live. No hail. I watched the radar and decided to sit it out at home.

This evening is a big unknown, though. Another set of big and probably damaging storms is predicted in mid-to late evening. We're guests at the big Gala at the Wildflower Center this evening (I'm the Volunteer Representative on the Board of Directors there). Being retired, we couldn't afford to go at $500 a plate and more, but we were invited by the Executive Director as her guests and we wouldn't miss it for anything. Wife has a new dress, etc. That means that the truck is on its own tonight. In fact, I'll drive the truck to the Wildflower Center tonight so that both passenger cars can stay in the garage rather than having two vehicles exposed to hail.

A lot of Austin was without power overnight and several folks at the Board meeting this morning had to be chainsawed out of their driveways or find new routes out of their neighborhoods.
WBCCI #9632
Old 05-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The storms went well north of us. Lots of lightning and jus a little bit of rain where we live. No hail. I watched the radar and decided to sit it out at home.

This evening is a big unknown, though. Another set of big and probably damaging storms is predicted in mid-to late evening. We're guests at the big Gala at the Wildflower Center this evening (I'm the Volunteer Representative on the Board of Directors there). Being retired, we couldn't afford to go at $500 a plate and more, but we were invited by the Executive Director as her guests and we wouldn't miss it for anything. Wife has a new dress, etc. That means that the truck is on its own tonight. In fact, I'll drive the truck to the Wildflower Center tonight so that both passenger cars can stay in the garage rather than having two vehicles exposed to hail.

A lot of Austin was without power overnight and several folks at the Board meeting this morning had to be chainsawed out of their driveways or find new routes out of their neighborhoods.

Yeah, I'd noticed a lot of downed trees and such on my way in this morning. Even though everything is under cover at the house, I was still eyeing a cell heading SE from Georgetown last night packing hail and 60 mph winds. Fortunately it pretty much skated by us just to the west, bringing only heavy rain. So far we've been living right, but with the way the next 7 days is shaping up weather wise, I'm beginning to wonder if it's merely a matter of time before we get beat on during an afternoon commute.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Looks like all of West Texas is stormy all the way from Lubbock to just west of the DFW metroplex. Hail is bearing down on us just two counties away at the moment. This has been a stormy week for sure and mostly at night which can be really frightening. Last night the wind was really bad with an inch of rain and thankfully no hail. One tree down and two large branches ripped off two others. The wind was just hissing out there in the dark and tonight looks like another bad one. We're happy that our baby is under cover. BTW, an excellent weather site is www.wunderground.com.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Mine got involved in a hail storm at the Bismark international rally years ago. Some work was done at Jackson Center but there are still a few marks on the roof. All this happened with a PO but if you use them there are times when you are just vunerable.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote