Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2006, 05:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Troy , Idaho
Greetings from northern Idaho

Hello all,

Juli and I(Ed) just bought a '72 Sovereign, and it needs work, so I'm sure my post count will be in an inverse relationship to the thickness of my wallet.

When you're buying used, from the estate of the previous owner, whose agent is a blind man, in Kamiah, ID, toward the end of the day, this is what I've learned so far:

Bring a floor jack because the electric one will "need a little work" to get 'er going.

If you don't have on-board air, bring a 12 volt inflator. "She's been sittin' here a while..."

Get a copy of the death certificate - dead men can't sign titles.

Beware of blind men selling travel trailers - the story they tell you about how the trailer works and "looks" is pretty irresistable. Actually, the guy was incredibly knowlegable - he even new which pages in the book to turn to when I had questions about the wiring harness!

Despite the salesman's ability to navigate the shop manual don't expect to haul her home using the lights or trailer brakes - what kind of wacky trailer plug is that anyway?

If you are travelling the backroads of northern Idaho, pulling an unlighted, untitled, 31' Airstream, after dark, you are being watched over by a power greater than yourself - I passed three troopers on my way home, all engaged in the process of giving other people tickets.

I know I'm going to like being an Airstream owner!

Our other enthusiams are:
Me - modifying my dodge turbo diesel <nwbombers.com>
Juli - riding and showing our horses <aqha.com>
Together - tending the gardens <no web site necessary!>
MeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
You are too funny. The forum is just the place for you. I think your new Airstream should bring you many, many hours of pleasure. Just telling this story to those you meet while traveling should give you hours of pleasure. You are one great storyteller.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forumand congatulations on getting your 'new' trailer home safely. I love the part about the blind salesman. Keep us up to date with your progress and don't forget, we love pictures!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi MeToo,, had a very similar experience,,,live in Montana,,, so,, know where you are coming from. welcome to the forum. we have like tastes in trailers and in humor! donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums. I know I am going to like having you here. That was a great story about picking op your new Stream. I am looking forward to hearing more.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Troy , Idaho
Here's some pic's for the visually oriented. Juli and I have been on the ranch for ten years. We have 4 dogs(3 neurotic Schipperkees, 1 lab/shepard alarm dog) 4 horses(3 Quarter Horses, 1 Arabian) and barn cats galore(they keep the dogs entertained and make the mice only slightly nervous).

http://www.airforums.com/photo...0&userid=11500

If this link doesn't work I just posted them to the member photos section.

You can also view our slightly out of date Web site at:
http://users.moscow.com/ejs
------------------
The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Welcome aboard and congratulations on the new coach. I hope to make my way up to Idaho in a year or two to visit myself

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Troy , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
...to visit myself
Well, if you're looking for more company than just yourself let us know when you're in country. This area is a real cornucopia for photog's. I really like your website - you take a very interesting view of things.
------------------
Old 02-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Troy , Idaho
Before I forget...

...because after open heart surgery, your memory gets a bit wonky... I want to say thanks for the WARM WELCOME. I'm looking forward to someday meeting up with some of you!
------------------
Old 02-19-2006, 10:21 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forums! There are alot of us here in the greater WA, OR, ID, MT area. I'm sure you will get a great deal of joy from your new/old airstream as well as many a frustrating moments with that stupid electric jack. We once had to unbolt it and strap it to the trailer for the ride home; it has no manual function.

Nice web site, love the pupsicles.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
picking up from far away

I wasn't smart enough to take lights when I picked up my latest trailer in California and took it back to Colorado. But I had seen the trailer a couple of times. I took an umbilical, 4 wheels/tires, compressor, big toolbox, axle grease and a floor jack. It had been used hard one year, then parked for 25 years in the front yard. Had it ready to go in about 10 hours. Towed perfect.

You're right about estate sales. Thought I had done everything, like got the executor's signature, death cert, and about 5 other papers, but no title. Getting the title won't be too big a deal, but in California you have to pay the sales tax in 10 days or they get real mean/stupid. One should pay attention to these kinds of things, I suppose, but one can be very busy getting back home and finding storage space, etc., can't one?

It's a 31' mid-bath and hides the spare tire up under the front, just about under where the dining table is. I guess you have to sacrifice insulation there. I need to look into that.