Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
91 Airstream 34' Excella

1991 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Ravenna , Michigan
Greetings from michigan!

Hello to one and all!,
Looking forward to opening my proverbial seabag on this site, picking out a rack, and starting a lifelong "tour of duty" here! Soooo many questions that I don't hardly know where to start!
I've been dreaming of owning an Airstream (I can hear angels singing heavenly music each and EVERYTIME I type, say, or think the word) trailer for as long as I can remember. FiNaLLy going to look at my first this Monday, 20130513 - a 1988 Excella 1000 34'. I know NOTHING but my desire to purchase one and have some trepidation about making a dream turn into a nightmare.
Is there anyone nearby Grand Rapids or Kalamazoo with some inspection knowledge that would be willing to assist an old war horse with their knowledge and time in giving it a look over and/or negotiating a fair purchase price?
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated! Semper Fidelis members and I hope to be a fellow owner myself soon! =]
GySgt Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Welcome to the forums!

Have you got a short handle you would want us to use, Sgt?

Anyway, a 34' will require a powerful tow vehicle....and as to your questions, I'm not an inspector but you will find a lot of info here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...-as-82116.html
Once you start following the links you could be reading until 1 am!
Very Best wishes on your search,
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Welcome aboard, Gunny! This place is font of help and support. Make camp and reach out. We LOVE our old Excella, although not a veteran as yours. Linda and I graduated from UM in 1969 and called Michigan home for a bit.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Welcome aboard and good luck, only advice go online look up the local to you wbcci and ask about inspection assist. We settled at Cherry point and are working on a caravel (starter for us) will be getting an overlander next. When did you retire? Been on both sides of the river and finished in the airwing.
We now say later bro
Cliff McIlwee GySgt USMC retired
Old 05-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Inspectors

You will find an inspectors list on this site. And a list of things that the inspectors should be looking at too. Many do it as a courtesy without compensation except maybe for gas/mileage. You can find one on the list in the state where the trailer is and then PM the folks and set it up.
Don't forget that you can also shop the "classifieds" on this site too.
Good luck in your search and welcome to the Forums!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Gunny, welcome to the forums! Most of us who have been attracted to bright and shinny objects (aka an Airstream) didn't know where or how to start.

Buying a trailer is kinda like buying a new car or truck. The good thing is you don't need to pick the color.

I would suggest you start a list, starting with what do you want to do in the trailer and where do you want to go? Do you plan on camping full time, weekly or monthly trips or just weekend trips? How many will camp with you on a regular basis? These will help determine how big a trailer you may need. Some campgrounds have length limits.

Do you want to restore a trailer, minimal maintenance, or something in between?

I would also go to a dealer and look at what is new, and maybe used. Asking for assistance and trying to locate and inspector is a great start.

Good Luck

Drew

P.S. Semper Fi from a retired HMC
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Welcome aboard from a couple of retired Navy Chiefs! The Airstream will feel at home to you if you've spent time at sea, cozy little compartments to live in.

doug and cheryl k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Welcome aboard, Gunny!

There is a ton of great info here on the forum, and the other thing you might consider if you haven't already is attending a rally or two, where you can usually see a lot of AS's and talk with owners.

We have owned two 34's and now have a 27 - there is nothing not to love.

I will actually be near Bay City this weekend dropping our son off at his summer co-op program. You live in a great area, and I know there are a ton of AS's in your general area. Good luck in your search - part of the magic!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote