Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #1

Birmingham , Alabama
Greetings from down south

Hello, just joined the forum a couple hours ago, and thought I would introduce myself. I'm looking to buy a 27-34 foot Airstream travel trailer, so I figured the best people to ask about it would be people that currently own one. I want to make an informed decision when I purchase one. My interest in the Airstream is simple. Quality. You don't usually see other travel trailers still on the road 30, 40, and even 50 and 60 years down the road like you do with the Airstream. As is evidenced by my name, I'm from Alabama, and whatever Airstream I end up purchasing I would end up taking to alot of Alabama football games. So, that's about it for me, in a nutshell. Thanks!
BamaToTheBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Howdy Bama, and welcome to the Forums. Good luck on your search for your Airstream. You may want to start by cheking out the Forums classified section to see if there's one there just waiting for you.

Living in the South, one suggestion I'll offer is to try to find one that has a 15k BTU air conditioner. The length of trailerr you are looking for really requires the larger a/c when outside temps are in the mid-90's or higher. The smaller, 13k BTU, just doesn't do the job IMO. If you look at a 34 footer, make sure it has 2 a/c's.

You also need to make sure that your tow vehicle can safely handle the weight of the trailer you are looking for. You can do a search on tow vehicles and find a great deal of information.

Would y'all please take Coach Franchione back, please!

________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #3

Birmingham , Alabama
Not a chance! He's all yours! LOL We kinda ended up with a decent coach. Hopefully it'll work out for us here. Thanks for the heads up on the A/C units. It's looking more and more like either a 29 footer or a 31 footer. I actually checked the classifieds here before joining. Good stuff there, I'm sure I can find something when the time comes. Explaining to people about the head in the southeast and Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas is impossible. It's just not the same as anywhere else. So I'm glad to know about the necessary btu's
Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
OH NO! Opinions on Airstream purchasing AND southern college football in the same thread. We're in trouble now

Go Gators
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
LookingThroughALens

1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Welcome! Good luck with finding the right trailer for you.

Join us at the Falluminum in North GA at the end of October and you can see a variety of different rigs to get an idea of what might work for you.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ins-32035.html

GO WILDCATS! <KY girl at heart>
Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
I'm afraid the Big 12 should be renamed the Little 12 this year. Not one team can win against an east coast team. There's always next year.

I was in South Dakota in late June one year, and the temps soared past 100. Hot times are all over in the summer.

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Good Luck in Your Search

Welcome to the Forums! I found my ’83 34’ Excella in the classifieds here.

Go Hogs and curses to your “Roll Tide.” Ok, that come from behind a couple of weeks ago was tough on us to swallow. I was in a Mexican restaurant and there was a solitary Bama fan there. He was greatly relieved.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greeting to Up North

We are in the Fla Panhandle, just south oof the 'bama line. Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You've come to the right place for Airstream info. Are you thinking vintage or late model?
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Bama,

War Eagle! Sorry - we have a daughter at Auburn, and we are thinking about tailgating at the Auburn/Alabama game at Thanksgiving.

There's a big group of us in the "area" - the southeast. My recommendation is for you to attend the weekend in Hiawassee, GA in late October (look for Falluminum in this forum). There will be approximately 40 units of varying lengths and ages, and you could in a weekend get some great ideas about what to buy/not buy. On Saturday we tend to have an "open house" for those willing, where their Airstreams are open for visitors. You will get great ideas.

We are just about to pick up our third Airstream, so we can appreciate your desire for Airstream. Warning - once you get started, you'll find it hard to get out.

And welcome to the forum!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #10

Birmingham , Alabama
Looking for a late 60's to early 80's model. So I guess vintage, but that consideration is mainly cost. If I can find a later model in my price range, I'd gladly grab it. My primary interest is function. This will be an often used Airstream. Every single home Alabama game, and camping at least once a month at various places in the state. Probably more. So vintage vs. Late model is not a concern at all. We'll also be tailgating at the Alabama-Auburn game, so keep in touch and we can make sure we visit each others respective spots.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet ’60s vs ’80s

Hi again Bama,

I currently own a 1967 24’ Trade Wind and a 1983 34’ Excella. I know that the ’66s—’68s are considered highly desirable; mine will soon make someone a fine project. Having said that, I really like the ’83 and would prefer it even if it weren’t 10’ longer. The living area is bright and cheery. The fridge automatically switches from AC to propane and back. Pilotless ignition in the water heater and the furnace. A Gray tank. Heck, I even like the tambour doors.

I have photos at: Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Photos - vswingfield's Images

Best of luck in your search.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Howdy, and Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
There's a big group of us in the "area" - the southeast. My recommendation is for you to attend the weekend in Hiawassee, GA in late October (look for Falluminum in this forum). There will be approximately 40 units of varying lengths and ages, and you could in a weekend get some great ideas about what to buy/not buy. On Saturday we tend to have an "open house" for those willing, where their Airstreams are open for visitors. You will get great ideas.
In addition to the October get-together in Hiwassee Georgia (discussion thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ins-32035.html, Sign up: "Falluminum" Get Together in North Georgia - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community), there is a Rally in Destin (Topsail Park?) in January (discussion: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...lly-35478.html, sign up: Can Opener 2008(Topsail St.Park,Florida - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community). Both would be great opportunities to visit and see many Airstreams.

And be sure to use the Search feature here on the Forums to find just about anything. And read to your heart's content.

Hope you have a chance to see a Rally, but you can also learn about sizes and what you will need by visiting an Airstream dealer and touring some new ones. When I bought my first one, the rear bath was fine for my wife and I, but now we have her sister and mom with us. A center bath (rear bedroom) is much better suited to our current needs.

Have fun looking and please keep us informed on your progress.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the fray, Bama...as you can already see, there's a ton of enthusiasm for Airstreams and life here...you're in the right place, fer sure. Here's a subforum that may be beneficial to you in your search... Buyer Guidelines - Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Community

We can tell from your posts so far that you are going to enjoy yourself here...and us you... and you'll like the Airstream dream, too.

Silver Trails!
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

« new guy | Top | hi all »