Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Greetings from Boston . . I think we're going to do it!

Hello,

David from Boston here. I have been lurking on AirForums for several months now reading through the threads. This has been an amazing resource. My partner and I may be pulling the trigger on a Flying Cloud 20 in the next couple of weeks. So excited, I can't contain myself. I have been obsessing about a travel trailer for a couple of years now. My partner, on the other hand, has been doing his best to ignore me and my obsession. I was able to get him to look at a couple of SOBs with me last year, but he wasn't impressed (and neither was I, really). Then I started talking about and researching Airstreams. He still wasn't all that interested until today when I convinced him to go with me to look at some Airstreams. I thought the Bambi Sport 16 would be an ideal introductory model. He liked it, but then I told him he needed to see the Flying Cloud 20, which is my favorite floor plan and one I think we can live with for the long term. He LOVED it! We talked logistics with the sales associates for a while (storage, service, maintenance, etc), and my partner asked for a week or so "cooling off" period to think about it. So now I wait with fingers crossed.

I'm sure we'll have tons of questions when we make the purchase. I look forward to chatting with all of you and, more important, learning from seasoned Airstreamers. As you can see, I'm very optimistic. Will keep you updated . . .

Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome Dave, we're glad to have you with us. Good luck on your decision. Keep us posted.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
I'm crossing my fingers for you too! Lots of great places to camp up you way ( NH, ME etc).
Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Hello and welcome.

Let me suggest that a 20 makes a sweet traveling Airstream, but you might find a 23 or 25 more livable for a long trip. I fulltime, single, and started with an 05 22footer. Just got a bit confining over time.

Your experience may differ, and everyone wants it smaller while towing, and bigger while parked. If you're really planning to take a long trip, that might involve stops of several weeks in interesting places. A 20 gets really small if you're stuck in it for three rainy days... and that's alone. Ad a friend, and you'd better be prepared to go OUT even in a blizzard or hurricane.

Paula
Old 08-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Paula, thanks for your response. In the time I've been lurking, I've read a ton of your posts. A big fan of Foiled Again!

Thanks, also, for the great advice on the size. We'll have to check out the 25 on our next visit. Since we're both still working (a good 15-20 yrs before we retire), our long trips might be at most two weeks. Might be good to start on the smaller side, then move up a notch or so when we have more time to really travel. Although, my recently reticent partner has been ogling videos of the Land Yacht and even Class A motor homes with gourmet kitchens. Oi! I've created a monster now that the bug has bitten him too.

By the way, I'm a Norfolk, VA native. Head down that way several times a year to visit the folks. I'll wave as I drive over the CBBT, if you're there.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome! Where are you looking at trailers in the MA area?

My wife thought she'd shut me up by going to have a look last summer. We just got back from a week on the beach in Maine and a week long trip in our 27' Flying Cloud to TN and back to CT to visit our first grand niece :-)

Check out a bunch of them. They all have their pros and cons. I was worried about something so large but find the 27 is easily maneuverable. I bet even the 34 tri-axle tows like a dream! I know that feeling of anticipation - good luck with whatever you decide - you're both gonna love it!!
Old 08-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Boston , Massachusetts
Many thanks, Steve!

Dave (the one not posting) is a CT native. His family is in Weathersfield. I love CT.

We actually went to New Hampshire to Profile State Line Superstore. It was the only one that had the sizes we wanted to look at in stock. If Airstream New England had more inventory, we would have gone there. It's much closer to home. Our sales rep, Jerry, was fantastic. Spent a good 2+ hours with us giving a demo and answering all of our questions on each of the models we checked out. We did look at a 27 -- that is one beautiful vessel!! But then, I'm drooling over all of them.

Our plans are to probably stay in the New England region, at least for the first year. So much up here to see and do. Mountains, beaches, farm country . . . gorgeous area. Where did you camp in Maine? Would love to get up around Bar Harbor and Acadia area for an extended trip.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We ended up with one of these 34' tri-axles and they do indeed tow like a dream - one of the best and straightest towing Airstreams ever made. With three kids, the interior space is much appreciated too. We were planning on a 27', but then the opportunity arose to buy a 1984 34' in excellent condition and we just went with it.

Haven't regretted it once.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Great! We'll see you on the road I'm sure.

We stayed in York which is southern coast. Would love to do Acadia and Bar Harbor. Some other AirForum folks were at Orr's Island a couple weeks ago and that is a beautiful spot too.

We also joined the WBCCI (Charter Oak unit but will likely switch to New England Unit as they are a bit more active and just terrific folks! ). Very helpful to attend a rally or two to learn in real time. If we can be of any help, don't hesitate to PM me. Have fun!!
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Dot Dave, welcome to the community!

Your first and worst mistake was going and taking a look at an Airstream; the hooks have now been set. It is an addiction - the first step is to admit you have a problem.

Good luck whichever route you take!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We started looking at the 16, then bought a 20. Found the kitchen and bath terrific, but the central living space (only the dinette) uncomfortable for longer use, and claustrophobic. Bought a 25 front dinette, everything is better. However the 23 front dinette or front sofa models are also nicely arranged if you are okay with the corner bed.

doug
Old 09-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #12

santa ana , California
can help you

I sell airstreams and some customers have wish they got next size up...please consider the 23 or 25..fb......