Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
helena , Alabama
Greetings from Alabama

Hello all and greetings from the hot and steamy deep south. Our family recently acquired a new to us 1973 27' Overlander rear bath model with twins. We got it in March for the low, low price of $0.00.

It had been sitting for a while (about 6 years) but was still in decent condition other than a friend of the PO was the last to use it and had left the plumbing full of water when he parked it. It had six good freeze bursts in the copper pipe that were relatively simple to fix. The mixing valve in the shower was also shot but with the assitance of research on here and the 1973 repair/shop manual we were able to replace it.

The stove, oven, fridge, AC, and water heater all work great still after 38 years. I have not tried the furnace and with highs around 100 F around here, I don't plan on it for a while. The exterior was in decent condition with no leaks noted after three months but there were two pieces of trim that had some rivets sheered off and a tail light off. Once again research here and the shop manual were of great assistance.

I replaced the missing rivets with aluminum structural rivets and it is all tight again. Other than the shower the interior just needed a good cleaning and sprucing up to be usable. No soft floors and no other issues noticed so far. I plan to do more this winter to improve the looks of the interior and I am sure I will be asking questions as I tackle that. We got the trailer primarily to use as a weekend place at the Lake and it will not be used for any traveling until at least next summer.

I have not tackled the axles but probably will at some time as they appear to be suffering from semi petrified rubber rods. For the time being I replaced the tires and moved it once to my place to work on it and then on to the campground without any problem. We are headed to the lake for our maiden weekend there and I will take some pictures to post for you later.

Right now our planned renovations include new floor coverings, new water heater (I did say the original works but feel I am living on borrowed time) and a testing of the onboard water system (pump and tank).The pump comes on but I have not put any water into the empty tank. Right now I have access to city water but want the self contained system to work just in case.

The PO had already replaced the old univolt system with a modern electrical inverter system that charges the battery and provides power when plugged in. I am looking forward to enjoying this classic for a long time.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdf11026
Hello all and greetings from the hot and steamy deep south. Our family recently acquired a new to us 1973 27' Overlander rear bath model with twins. We got it in March for the low, low price of $0.00. It had been sitting for a while (about 6 years) but was still in decent condition other than a friend of the PO was the last to use it and had left the plumbing full of water when he parked it. It had six good freeze bursts in the copper pipe that were relatively simple to fix. The mixing valve in the shower was also shot but with the assitance of research on here and the 1973 repair/shop manual we were able to replace it. The stove, oven, fridge, AC, and water heater all work great still after 38 years. I have not tried the furnace and with highs around 100 F around here, I don't plan on it for a while. The exterior was in decent condition with no leaks noted after three months but there were two pieces of trim that had some rivets sheered off and a tail light off. Once again research here and the shop manual were of great assistance. I replaced the missing rivets with aluminum structural rivets and it is all tight again. Other than the shower the interior just needed a good cleaning and sprucing up to be usable. No soft floors and no other issues noticed so far. I plan to do more this winter to improve the looks of the interior and I am sure I will be asking questions as I tackle that. We got the trailer primarily to use as a weekend place at the Lake and it will not be used for any traveling until at least next summer. I have not tackled the axles but probably will at some time as they appear to be suffering from semi petrified rubber rods. For the time being I replaced the tires and moved it once to my place to work on it and then on to the campground without any problem. We are headed to the lake for our maiden weekend there and I will take some pictures to post for you later. Right now our planned renovations include new floor coverings, new water heater (I did say the original works but feel I am living on borrowed time) and a testing of the onboard water system (pump and tank).The pump comes on but I have not put any water into the empty tank. Right now I have access to city water but want the self contained system to work just in case. The PO had already replaced the old univolt system with a modern electrical inverter system that charges the battery and provides power when plugged in. I am looking forward to enjoying this classic for a long time.
Welcome to the forum. What part of Al are you from? We now live in Athens.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Congrats! And what a deal on price!!!! Glad for you that everything seems to be in order and *solid*, including your A/C. You'll be needing that about now! Mine will likely be funning full time this weekend here in balmy FL. It's sure crazy hot this year, huh?

Just a note about your furnace... many of the ones from the '70's were recalled due to a serious safety issue. Unfortunately, mine is one of the recall units. But fortunately, I don't need that honkin furnace! The space heaters warmed it well enough for winter camping this year. Anyway, you can search these forums for info on the recall and compare your model/serial number to those on the list before you try to *light-er-up* !!

Have fun, stay cool and enjoy your maiden voyage.

Laura
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow, you lucked out!!! If only we could be so lucky. We live in Georgia and are still looking for our first airstream, right around in your same price range, lol.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Enjoy - you are in rich company here in the southeast!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Congrats! And what a deal on price!!!! Glad for you that everything seems to be in order and *solid*, including your A/C. You'll be needing that about now! Mine will likely be funning full time this weekend here in balmy FL. It's sure hot this year, huh?

Just a note about your furnace... many of the ones from the '70's were recalled due to a serious safety issue. Unfortunately, mine is one of the recall units. But fortunately, I don't need that honkin furnace! The space heaters warmed it well enough for winter camping this year. Anyway, you can search these forums for info on the recall and compare your model/serial number to those on the list before you try to *light-er-up* !!

Have fun, stay cool and enjoy your maiden voyage.

Laura
If I can find one in that price range, I would make room in my garage for it. Hard to believe it is not a fixerupper but ready for occupancy. Nice to see you are still camping here in the Sunshine State.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
helena , Alabama
pic added

Here is the one pic of the trailer from this weekend that I remembered to take. I think the wife took a couple that I will try to get on. Sorry but we were busy enjoying the trailer and the boat this weekend. Only one problem noted. The city water hook up is leaking a tad bit. Seems a PO added a "t" to the pipe coming out of the trailer on one side of the "t" is the city hook up and on the other is a hose bib for attaching a second hose to wash down stuff. Not a bad idea but the 90s are leaking a little bit. It was not leaking here at home at all so it may be the pressure at the campgound. I am gonna try putting a regulator on the faucet but am gonna replace those fittings as well. Other than that everything worked great.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Welcome to the forum from just up the road. You have definately gotten a good deal on your AS . And this is the place for advice and ideas. If its ever been done, you can find it here.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Nice!!! We like pictures.

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Yes, we like pictures - and your rig looks awesome!!

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote