Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Cool Greetings Fellow Streamers!

I've been a silent observer for quite awhile now and thought that I should finally break out and say hello.

I've been renovating my 93 Land Yacht MH for the last five months and have discovered a great deal of useful information from all the folks here. It's a work in progress but I thought I'd share a few photos of my progress to date.

I'm a FT and have had a few other makes of MH before I got the Yacht. I have to agree that AS is the best of the two prior motor homes I've owned.

I tend towards darker colors and low lighting as I do most of my work at night. I'm a graphics designer, photographer, artist, musician, writer, IT systems/network engineer/administrator and I work from the MH full-time.

I chose an asian style theme for the LH though I'm not a stickler for authenticity. I like what makes me comfortable. Unfortunately I never bothered to take before photos , but previously the MH was owned by a quaint couple and they had chosen canary yellow wallpaper with a white wainscotting trimming the bottom of the walls.

As I mentioned I work from the MH so I pulled the dinette, the couch, a swivel chair and anything else in the way and built in two desk spaces to accommodate my needs.

I did the majority of the work myself and as I said it's a work in process. I have yet to install a new fridge, and a Splendide W/D combo that will go under the aft desk, a server system that goes in the forward desk which also houses the cabling for the internal wired LAN. I've installed a 26" HD flat screen in the bedroom, and am in the process of installing a 20" where the in-dash TV was located. The walls are marine carpet, which does not rot, mildew or mold. As you can see from the photos I did a few custom inserts.

Also installed new USB, SD CD, DVD, AM/FM Kenwood stereo and am upgrading the factory speaker system and adding a surround system in the bedroom for the TV and DVD player. Also built-in a decorative water fountain (it soothes me), custom storage spaces and shelves and will be redesigning the closet spaces. Upholstered the captains chairs, new wood floor and more...

I'm also in the process of prepping the exterior for a custom paint job which is taking forever and many many razor blades, caulk remover, etc. Hope to paint before the end of the month. The new paint will be mostly black with red accents, (think tribal patterns) and some custom vinyl graphics I've designed.

There are a dozen other things I've renovated, changed, installed and upgraded the the Yacht, but all in all it's about making it my own. Besides, it keeps me out of trouble... for now....

If you all like the photos I'll post more as I complete my projects currently being undertaken... and btw.. that's my trusty sidekick Sam in the photo of the newly upholstered passenger chair.

take care and be well...

tbro

whitewolfmedia.net
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2255.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	84790   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2293.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	84791  

Name:	100_2299.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	84792   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2276.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	84793  

Name:	100_2306.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	84794   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2257.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	84795  

Name:	100_2275.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	84796   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2286.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	84797  

Name:	100_2292.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	84798   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2295.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	84799  

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I really like what you have done. It feels exoctic but not over the top. Good job! Love to see more pics!
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
Welcome! Your pics are great. I am curious as to what you are serving from the MH though. Is it just a file server for you work needs? Sounds like something that I have done.
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Hello and welcome to the forum - your pictures are great - fantastic job.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Wink

Heya Shermy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
Welcome! Your pics are great. I am curious as to what you are serving from the MH though. Is it just a file server for you work needs? Sounds like something that I have done.
Yes just a file server more or less. I have three laptops each for different tasks and I do a lot of high-resolution graphics work so the truth is the machine is more for that purpose as the laptops just don't have the power, plus I love the dual 26" monitor system for graphics work.

Also I have a wide variety of peripherals (printers, scanners, cameras, etc.) Also use a RIP system for printing in large format (encad) though I have to pull up to the studio and run a cat5 cable to the printing network. In essence I run a small LAN within the MH and have installed RJ45 jacks in the living area and bedroom to facilitate ease of use. Have a print/photography studio with a friend and I can pull up outside and plug into that with cat5.

Started by using the MH as an outside office when I had a sticks and bricks house and have evolved into driving the office wherever the best view of the day is. Here on the oregon Coast we have plenty of choices.

This way I can find a nice spot to park and work for the day and whenever I have to send something to the Encad I just drive to the studio and plugin.

Soon I want to build a hutch for the main work desk with tambour doors and a hydraulic lift for the dual monitors. My goal is to get all my tech tools installed but hidden so the MH retains a sleek and uncluttered look. Open a few doors and push a couple of buttons and I have a full functioning work/graphics station.

excuse me I tend to ramble on...

My Web Workings
Old 08-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalee View Post
I really like what you have done. It feels exoctic but not over the top. Good job! Love to see more pics!
Thanks danalee...

The pics aren't that great of quality as I keep my good cameras at the studio, but these give the general idea. As I said it's a work in progress and I still have a lot to do before I consider it finished.

I do wish I would have taken some "before" pictures I originally stripped everything out to the subfloor which was in great condition and started from there, going through the systems before the interior. I have some really low quality pics I took on my phone but when I first purchased this rig I rented a warehouse to work on it and never thought to bring a camera.

I like the idea of blending form and function. FunkshWay

My Web Workings
Old 08-01-2009, 05:57 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyd View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum - your pictures are great - fantastic job.
Thanks willy... friendly folks around these parts...

btw, I have approx. 20+ years IT/tech experience and would be more than happy when time allows to help anyone with any computer questions/issues.

My Web Workings
Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I love the pictures. You have truly made it your own. I would love to see pictures of the exterior. Do you plan to travel with it or pretty much stay put?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I love the pictures. You have truly made it your own. I would love to see pictures of the exterior. Do you plan to travel with it or pretty much stay put?

Brian
Hello Brian,

Nice to meet you. Yes I do eventually plan to travel with it for more than day trips for scenic views. For now it's easier to stay close to tools I wouldn't normally carry with me and at the present I need to be within a day or two drive from the photography/print studio I share, due to current workflow. Otherwise my main employment source allows me to work from anywhere as long as I have a good internet connection with no more than a few hours of no access time. (I am responsible for the technical aspects of an ISP and hosting provider).

That's a slight drawback for the moment as I have a fondness for the outback areas of Northern Nevada, ( Black Rock Desert, Smoke Creek Desert, Alvord Desert) I grew up in those areas and know the far reaches of expansive desert locales, hot springs, etc., and long to spend some time there again. I do however, fully intend to get to where I can spend extended periods in the far reaches.

And for all you Burning Man aficionados that recognize the desert names, yes I have been to the event many times, in fact I was at the first one held in the Black Rock Desert after it was moved from the beaches of SF.

There were only about 100 attendees then, the remnants of the former Bay Area based Cacophony Society. I lived in the Gerlach area then and knew some of the original BM founders through friends (Planet X). They had been to a few of the events a group of us used to hold on the playa each year and when the event was outlawed from the Sf area beaches they decided to move it to the Black Rock. My how it's grown!!!

Unfortunately, most of those areas have no expansive wireless coverage. I looked into getting a satellite system but the bandwidth restrictions don't fulfill my current needs. I would easily exceed them. My return on investment would simply be too inefficient.

As I stated earlier... I tend to ramble once I get started...

My Web Workings
Old 08-05-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Welcome to the forums from the middle of the state. Your MH is absolutely amazing. I look forward to seeing it in person someday.

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
Welcome to the forums from the middle of the state. Your MH is absolutely amazing. I look forward to seeing it in person someday.
That could be very likely. I love the drive from Newport to the Idaho stateline via Hwy. 20.

My Web Workings

Tags
interior, land yacht, renovation