Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #29

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee
When I was looking, a couple people told me the sliding doors sometimes had problems staying shut, and that they were just translucent enough to mean you had to keep the insides looking neat.
We have the CCD doors and really like how the light comes through, we use baskets to keep it looking neat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045737696.png
Views:	59
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	148110  

blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
That does look pretty cool - and it avoids the nightclub look of the red, which, while it suits many, did not suit me, as I had enough of that married to a nightclub owner.

Besides which, the front locker is where I'm planning on putting some of the tech, and there's little opps for keeping that looking sleek...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
When I was looking, a couple people told me the sliding doors sometimes had problems staying shut, and that they were just translucent enough to mean you had to keep the insides looking neat.

My CCD has the sliding door - in the beginning we always wondered what fool at AS designed these to open while being towed. PITA is an understatement. Our solution was to wedge a small amout of paper towel between the doors at the bottom to stop them from sliding. Cheap, works well - we have never had one open when I remember to do this (I sometimes forget and soon remember when we open the trailer door). Newer models have a spring slide stop that puts resistance on the bottom of the plexiglass to stop this - I do not know how well that works.

As far as neat - you are camping - who cares. We start out neat at home and rapidly progress to a sloppy trailer by day 2 in the campground. We live in there - it's not a showroom for Airstream.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
Except, uffda, I won't be camping. I'll be full timing, so I'm going on the shipshape, a place for everything model, or I'll go insane.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
completing an entry

Greetings to all again

Those of you that may not have noticed in other threads. I finally ended up with my baby yet unnamed - a 2006 25' Safari. It was so different than the new ones that I was familiar with and, as a result, I made some compromizes. It has the space of the 25FB twin that I liked the best but without the $$$. It has the open living area of the 23C that I liked -the one with the chest and roll out table. It does not have the 23' corner bed or bath which I was less fond of but I also did not get the pano dinette in the rear area in the new twin model. The windows are different too and while I like the ports, etc. I live in FL so windows are heat radiators. I am okay without a dinette now. The biggest difference to me is the pano window and the covered walls and ceiling. The salesman took me over and showed me a classic with the same walls and ceiling. It was just so different. Reflecting on all of this now, I am happy with my choice overall. I really did not like having pano windows in the bedroom and it seems from reading other's ideas that the first thing people remove is the dinette as they want more room. So, that leaves my only real missing "like" is the pano front. I certainly appreciate all of the comments here and will be asking a lot of questions as I make this AS my own. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Gene, while we're on the subject - have you had any problems with hinge screws pulling out of those overhead cabinet doors? Looked at a new Flying Cloud whose bathroom medicine cabinet/mirror door had already pulled off. (I don't think that dealership is still in the Airstream business.)

I was thinking that the International sliding doors would be somewhat simpler, although they do comparatively restrict access. I also like the pretty translucent panels...

Tom
Tom, I noticed I never answered your question. I must have looked at your post and said to myself, "I'll get to that later".

Later has come. Yes. The left hinge on the bathroom cabinet came undone several years ago and was fixed with bigger screws. So far, it is holding.

Gene
Old 02-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
LOL! Thanks Gene. Sounds like that's not an uncommon weak point.

Tom
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
LOL! Thanks Gene. Sounds like that's not an uncommon weak point.

Tom
Which is the weak point—the cabinet hinge or my memory?

Gene
Old 02-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
My memory and my hinge have both come unglued, the hinge is fixed....the memory not so much.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote