Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Greetings!

Hello All,

I've been lurking here for a few months researching and planning our big purchase. I have to say that this is one of the most helpful forums I've ever had the honor to be a part of, and I've participated in more than my share. Reminds we of the excellent VW van forums and mailing lists I was a part of until we sold our 84 Westy a couple months ago in preparation for the Airstream.

From our last trip in the Westy this fall to the U.P. of Michigan

We made the leap and purchased an 03 30' Classic with slideout from Woodland Travel Center in Grand Rapids Michigan a couple weeks ago. Very solid transaction overall and there were no major surprises. Just the way it should be when buying from a reputable dealer over the Internet. Chad at Woodland was great, allowing us to stay on-site and spending two days giving us an education on the trailer and towing.

My wife and I are in the process of simplification and research in preparation for making the leap to a life on the road, something we've dreamed about for a decade. It's quite the task scaling down from a 3000+ square foot house, but the process has been overall quite liberating. Lots more to come on this in the future.

For now I just wanted to drop a note and introduce us. Thanks for all who have taken the time to post such helpful information.

Take it easy,
DK
DKAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Congradulations! She looks great. Let us know how the downsizing goes. It sounds very tempting.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Forums and congrats on your new Airstream...very nice! You're going to really enjoy it...how could you not??
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby and your new life of adventure.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
DK,

Welcome and congratulations on the new rig.

Keep us posted on your travels and adventures.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
Can't wait to read more!
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks to all for the warm welcome! Appreciated all the more with the weather we've been having up here in MN.

We've started to do some updates and modification to address minor issues and make it our own. The wife has removed a couple of the cornice boards and is experimenting with minimizing and updating to give more of a modern look. We're also looking to update the cabinet hardware, do something cool with the mirrors, add backsplash in kitchen, etc. to make it feel a little more like some of the more recent models.

I've started to attack some underside corrosion. The coach was stored inside when not in use and the aluminum skin is nearly perfect. Have some very minor filiform corrosion on the battery compartment doors as well as a small area around both clips that hold the solar shield in place. Both areas seem to be stable, very small and are not a concern. Some of the underside is a different story. The rear slid-out drawer had significant corrosion under the rubber mat from trapped water (poor design). I've removed the drawer, treated the corrosion with POR15 and applied bedliner to the inside. This should hold strong for quite some time and provide a nice storage area without need for a mat.

Additionally, although someone once repainted, the curb-side storage compartment as well as the street-side utility compartments have some rust. I removed the curb-side compartment, wire wheeled the rust and then gave the POR15 treatment all the way around. I plan on attacking the other compartments, including the one in the hitch area (bottom has some minor rust) in the spring. The frame looks pretty good overall and only has a few minor areas to deal with. I also plan to drop a couple sections of the belly pan in the spring and make sure everything is clean and sound up there.

For now the major exterior projects will have to wait. With the snow and cold that has moved in, we'll be gearing up and doing a few interior mods before we head down to AZ for the month of January to escape the cold and give longer-term camping in the Airstream a try. Compared to the multiple month or more long excursions we took in the VW Westy, the trailer should feel quite spacious.

Thanks again,
DK
DKAir is offline   Reply With Quote