Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Greetings!

Hi Everyone!

After doing much research, hemming and hawing, and general deliberation, my wife and I just bought a brand new 27 foot flying cloud today from our local dealer!

I'm both very excited and happy, and also a little bit scared

Lots of stuff to talk about regarding this and our plans for our new adventures in this awesome thing. Feel free to ask any questions about what the $%#& we are doing and why we just bought this extremely expensive thingie.

Cheers,
YB
YodaBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums YB. Congratulations on your decision, get out and enjoy the freedom and adventure.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaBuddha View Post
Feel free to ask any questions about what the $%#& we are doing and why we just bought this extremely expensive thingie.

Cheers,
YB
Welcome and congrats on th enew purchase/

We have the fever too so there is really no need for us to ask you why when we already know.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:22 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

The Adventure begins....

Warning.......there is no cure for Aluminitis.

...photo's mandatory.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 08-01-2016, 05:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, and welcome!

May you have many happy miles.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Scott City , Missouri
Congratulations on your new AS and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy both!
80Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

You didn't mention if you have any RV experience. If not, this RV thing can seem a little daunting. There is a learning curve, but it's not launching rockets.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to ask them here on AirForums.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Hi Everyone!

After doing much research, hemming and hawing, and general deliberation, my wife and I just bought a brand new 27 foot flying cloud today from our local dealer!

I'm both very excited and happy, and also a little bit scared

Lots of stuff to talk about regarding this and our plans for our new adventures in this awesome thing. Feel free to ask any questions about what the $%#& we are doing and why we just bought this extremely expensive thingie.

Cheers,
YB

Welcome! So - what the $%#& are you doing and why did you just buy this extremely expensive thingie? 😀

If this is your first - being excited is great - it doesn't end. Being a little scared is smart. Driving a car or truck is difficult enough. Hang 27' of trailer off the back and you've got a whole new series of stuff to know and get skilled.

I always recommend finding a safe RV driver class which many local CDL centers offer. Just google an RV Safe Driver class in your area to see what's available. That's how my wife and I spent our first weekend with the trailer. Best investment beside the trailer itself!

Welcome again - happy and safe camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
London , Ontario
That's so exciting for you!! We did the same thing just over a month ago - I too was questioning whether I had lost my mind dropping so much money on such a thing....but I have absolutely loved it every single day since, and am heading out with my children for another adventure this weekend. The time to live is now!

Enjoy, and please post pics and stories of your adventures - I love keeping up on my fellow crazy, aluminium-obsessed
Penny Loafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Greetings from central Kentucky. Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful, exciting and expanding universe of Airstream ownership. Glad you're part of it. The road awaits, but watch your overhead, especially tree limbs.

My kids asked me how we could afford our AS. I told them it didn't cost me a dime, I took it all right out of their inheritance.

So what are your travel plans? Retired?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the replies everyone! It's great to find such a friendly community and it's nice to meet everyone!

We don't have any RV experience, so we'll be going through a bit of a learning curve. Once we buy a truck (we're still working on finding one) we're planning on renting a moving trailer from U-Haul, getting the total damage waiver insurance policy, and practicing some towing. I realize that it isn't as big (or heavy) as the Airstream, but it might be good practice.

Thanks for the tip on taking an RV Safe Driver class. I'm also going to look into that.

We aren't retired, but we have an internet based business that we're able to run so long as we have internet access. I'm planning on installing satellite internet in the Airstream - if anyone has any experience with this and any suggestions I'd be very interested to hear.

We’ve done a bunch of brainstorming how to setup ergonomic mini-office-workstations in the Airstream. I like to work at a standing desk, so I’m thinking of getting something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JI6NCCK

With such contraptions we can turn the countertop by the range or the dining table into an ergonomic standing desk.

We also plan to use a screenhouse combined with a folding table and these types of tabletop standing desks to setup a mobile outdoor office.

When we first started looking at options for an RV, we didn’t think an Airstream would work as there was no “dedicated space” where we could setup computer desks. But now we’ve completely changed our way of thinking about this. We realized that when we are working at the computer we actually need barely any space - just an ergonomic setup so that we don’t get carpal tunnel, etc. In most corporations, the size of your cubicle is similarly small anyway.

I’ll let everyone know how the “mobile office” setup works. It might take some experimentation to figure out how to work at a computer for long hours comfortably in the Airstream, but I’m sure we’ll figure it out.

Our travel plans as of right now are first to head to Colorado to visit my mom and to beat the heat (we’re in Austin, Texas right now) and to do some roaming and camping in the mountains, some hiking and mountain biking, maybe some rafting. And, we’ll be able to also keep working from the Airstream to keep our business healthy.

Then, we plan to head up to Ohio to visit my wife’s dad.

Then we’ll go off into deep exploration mode.

We might make a pitstop back in Austin in between, depending on how we are feeling and how well we are adjusting to living in the Airstream. Or we might not

We sort of just have a very strong itch to explore many different parts of the country and have adventures along the way. And, to still be able to get our work done at the same time.

We actually took out a loan to buy the Airstream - and we got a decent interest rate and a 20 year loan - so our monthly payment is actually very low even though the Airstream was very expensive (we did get a good deal on it though). We are thinking of renting out our house while we are on the road, and our rental income would not only cover the loan payment but it would give us enough income on top to live off of (if we are being very frugal in our spending). So, even without having any other income source we could actually manage and survive.

In this way, we actually see the Airstream as giving us extra financial security. Some people might think this is paradoxical, since it was so expensive and it does depreciate in value over time. But, we’ve actually gone through detailed calculations around this and even taking into consideration the depreciation we believe this is a sound financial decision that gives us extra security in case something goes wrong with our business or our general careers and we go through a period of time where we are having trouble making money.

I’d post photos, but I actually don’t have any yet. The beast is still sitting on the dealer lot as we still need to buy a truck to tow it, and I didn’t take any great photos while we were at the dealer. I’ll post photos as soon as I have some.

I’m very excited and I’ll keep everyone in the loop as we head off on our adventures!

Cheers,
YB
YodaBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! Have you considered that the tow vehicle could hold most of your mobile office? The new Ford Transit full-sized vans with a medium or tall roofline are perfect for this, in either the 130" or 148" wheelbase. The Wagon models with seats and windows can be licensed as passenger vehicles in most states, and the dual rear wheel setup would probably be able to tow your new AS. The new 3.5 EcoBoost V-6 engine with 6-speed tranny is great, and a diesel is also available.

A day bed and camp cooking work station in the van add to its utility. This early riser can have his coffee outside at the campsite without disturbing those sleeping in the trailer. Backup coolers, 12-volt appliances, a portable Iwatani butane burner, all coffee fixings, etc. fill out this "kitchenette" function, as if the van is a detached cottage for the Airstream !!!

Happy Trails . . . !

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Congrats! Welcome to the forums.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
We aren't retired, but we have an internet based business that we're able to run so long as we have internet access. I'm planning on installing satellite internet in the Airstream - if anyone has any experience with this and any suggestions I'd be very interested to hear.

Cheers,
YB
Search Google with Airforums wifi hotspot
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...mo-153398.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ad-130608.html

There are options to use a CG hotspot, but you're very exposed, very unsafe. You can share your smartphone's access, some have had good luck with that. There are also pay-as-you-go and data plans available from Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and others.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Best wishes on your endeavor.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 AM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip --After doing much research, -- snip -- and also a little bit scared -- snip -- our new adventures -- snip -- extremely expensive thingie. -- snip --
If you have researched all aspects and not just the AS floor plans; if you understand the seriousness of tow travel and the need for attentive driving attitude and skills; and if you get it that you need to develop DIY skills or keep embracing the expensive element of our shiny lifestyle, you will be OK on your adventure. Don't hit anything, look before you move, don't let your schedule drive you, and enjoy the experience based on your lifestyle and not what you think others want you to do. We all have our own perspective and it works for each of us. Yours will work too.

Good luck with your adventure. Travel safe and enjoy the smiles. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote