Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Paradise , Alberta
Greetings!

Hello everybody,
Im interested in full timing it in an airstream. I work in northern canada, but am willing to relocate lol.
Two days ago I bought a 1977 27' International Overlander.
Its my first travel trailer, I've always wanted an airstream and i've been watching kijiji for the last year or so. I want to try and full time in it, or atleast for the majority of the year.

The trailer is in pretty good shape as far as I can see. The previous owners had it from new, but hadnt used it in a few years. I bought two new batteries and all the lights worked, when I plugged it in the ac turned on. the heater works too but smells a little funky. The fridge didnt seem to want to work on electric. I still have to fill the propane and make sure the water and septic work.

Im going to clean up the inside and start living in it. Before fall I would like to re-seal everything and get an awning (the old one fell off, and the trim that it attaches to on the roof is damaged) Where is a good place to get a new awning and possibly that piece (whatever its called)

Any recommendations on things to look for/ inspect?

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1563.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	190743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	190744  

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	190745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	190746  

Name:	IMG_1567.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	190747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	190748  

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	190749  

Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Awesome looking overlander! Welcome to the forums and we will look forward to seeing you in the lower 48 and although it does look really good start with the ever popular leak search and check those water pipes closely! Love those pictures and again welcome.
Cliff

Old 07-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Paradise , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Awesome looking overlander! Welcome to the forums and we will look forward to seeing you in the lower 48 and although it does look really good start with the ever popular leak search and check those water pipes closely! Love those pictures and again welcome.
Cliff
Thanks RM66
I plugged in the trailer finally. The fridge has been on for about a half hour and the freezer is starting to feel cold (I hope haha)

The stove gets propane but I couldnt get it to light. Im going to buy a bbq lighter, hopefully that solves it.

The only broken thing ive found is two door hinges in the middle bedroom section. Im going to go look for a similar set of hinges.

Found a bunch of little things cleaning it out, including a real old 12v corded flashlight and some buttons for the fridge.

Does anyone know what the cone shaped things are?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1574.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	190753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	190754  

Name:	IMG_1577.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	190755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	190756  

Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
In my area, any RV shop can repair/replace the awning. Nice trailer:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings!

Greetings GingerBeef!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

The cone shaped pieces remind me of bud vases that were used in vintage automobiles . . . they fitted into small "hoops" attached to the post between the front and back door inside of the car . . . fragrant blossoms could then be place in them to freshen the interior air in the car.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
We replaced the fabric and upper metal on our ZipDee awning. We got the parts, including new aluminum channel, from sailrite.com.

Tin Pickle Adventures: New Awning - sewing and metal repair
Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Darn Kevin you are old! Lol I think that they are the horns form the mysterious aluminum unicorn! You have two of them!!!! Or they could be a catch basin for the broken copper water lines or maybe a funnel for democrats, maybe part of a (dare I say) kinky costume! (really have no knowledge of that)
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Sorry rainy day and too much time on my hands. Waiting for the welder to call and tell me that my frame is done! Taking a bit but should be soon!
Cliff
Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Paradise , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Sorry rainy day and too much time on my hands. Waiting for the welder to call and tell me that my frame is done! Taking a bit but should be soon!
Cliff
If you have so much time on your hands, could you tell please tell me where to get new hinges for my broken closet door?

I also found out I need to replace both stabilzer jacks on the drivers side.

Is there an airstream online store? Where can I find parts?

Ps: Im a welder by trade. Are frame problems common in airstreams?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are a number of online sources for Airstream parts, and even more for the generic items that would be on any RV.

Since you're in Canada, there may be some advantages for you to look at Canadian vendors first, CanAm RV is an Airstream dealer in London, Ontario that has a website that mentions parts but I have no experience with them. They have a great reputation for hitch setup.

Vintage Trailer Supply specializes in older trailers in general and has lots of nice Airstream items.

Out Of Doors Mart is an Airstream dealer and has a good online store.

Inland RV is an Airstream service shop in California and they have an online parts listing.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Oh, and welcome to the Forums and to Airstream ownership. That does look like a nice Overlander you've acquired.

There are some common frame maladies that crop up in some 70s trailers. Overloading at the rear (often by things like spare tires and storage racks mounted to the bumper) combined with the weakening of the subfloor under the rear edge of the trailer by water leaks over time can cause "rear separation." Step on the bumper and watch to see if the skin moves exactly with the bumper or if there's some play, once the bumper becomes detached you can eventually harm the frame because it's not part of the "semi-monocoque" system as designed. Long term exposure to moisture in the belly pan can cause rust, of course.

For an older trailer of unknown condition, it's also useful to check the condition of the axles. It's more important if you're going to be traveling a lot, I don't know if by full-time you meant find a nice place to stay full time, or if you meant chasing 72-degree weather. The owner of Inland RV has a good article on evaluating the condition of the axles.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I concur or yes there are some and that is a rare few 40 plus year old frames that are in great shape, most suffer little more than minor rust and some need replacing. As for the ones needing replacing they too are rare and some of those can be repaired but comfort of the owner requires replacement. Made of light and medium material the frames are easy to repair if you weld.
DKB_SATX is 100 % correct a lot of us drop the belly pan and coat the frame with preventive or some sort of rust killer replace the yellow or pink ( Fiberglas) with foam board a quick check of the tanks and plumbing then replace the belly pan and sleep at night. Except me of course I work mids so I get a good days sleep. Could explain a few things...... Oh well have a great day/night.
Cliff