Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
1981 22' International
Cornelius , Oregon
Great Friendly Community & I' am Newbie

Newbie here and want to say this is a great site with a friendly community. I love camping in my trailer as much as possible , I ' am disabled and have had a rough start since the beginning. First the guy who sold me my Airstream lied about its condition " It leaked, and since he stored it inside it did not show the leaks". The the place I took it in to be repaired , did the old bait and switch on me and jacked up the repair cost 3 times after he started the repairs and his first quote. So it's been rough but it has not discouraged me, and I have filed complaints with BBB and the State District attorney about the shops unethical billing charges.
I had no idea there was so many dishonest people that would take advantage of a disabled person. I got an education quickly abd I won't be so stupid next time , hopefully everyone on this site will be able to guide me honestly so I won't get taken advantage of anymore.
Thanks for the quick responses and honest answers looking forward to better times and lots of camping.

darr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Great Friendly Community & I' am Newbie

Greetings D. W.!

Welcome to the Forums!

Sorry to learn of your problems with the repair shop. The unfortunate truth is that there are many unscrupulous RV repair shops out there, but there are many fine ones as well -- it is just the difficulty of trying to sort out the good ones. Good luck with your complaints -- I know that its frustrating, but it is one of those things that nearly all of us have experienced.

All you need to do if you need a suggestion for a reputable repair establishment near you is post to the Forums -- within a short time, you will have responses with information. This forum is a great resource when trying to find repair outlets, particularly for anything that is somewhat unique to an Airstream. There are also several Commercial Members here on the forum who are very helpful when the issue is within the range of their specialties.

Again, Welcome to the Forums!

P.S.: One of the things that I look for if I need repairs in an unfamiliar area and don't have time to get on the forums is to look for a shop where the owners are on-site. While it isn't a guarantee that the shop is reputable it is at least a sign that the owner has an active interest in the business. Something else to consider is that if you join the WBCCI the membership directory can help you to contact Airstream owners in the area where you need repairs -- this is another good way to ferret out a reputable shop when in an unfamiliar area.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I second the welcome; sorry to hear of your "problem". Was it a authorized Air Stream dealer you went to? There used to be a pretty good one in your neck of the woods, but I'm not sure they're still in business. Good luck.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Don't be hard on yourself. I thought we had done a good job of "due diligence" on our first shop. Things did not turn out as we had hoped (see my blog for details). I like to think we'll eventually enjoy our Overlander even more having gone through some adversity.

The great thing about Airstreams is that almost anything can be fixed. It's usually a matter of time, money, more money, more money, etc.

Seriously, the Airstream community is why we went vintage Airstream. The people here are fantastic. The support is great. The cumulative knowledge is amazing. With sincere apologies to faithful, if Airstream be for us, who can be against us?

Keep the faith.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote