Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Got the Bug!

Hello, my name is Michael and I have the bug. My second retirement is coming up in just over a year and have been thinking about how that is going to work out. Passed an Airstream on the highway a couple of weeks ago and it really got me thinking, what a perfect way to see the country. Single/divorced/solo so nothing to hold me here. So far I have been able to look at couple of Bambis at the local dealer and was very impressed. I don't think a new one is going to be in the cards but would like to find one 5 to 10 years old or so. Also going to be needing a new tow vehicle as my current Jeep Patriot only has a tow rating of 2000 lbs. Between the two careers I spent about 5 years living and traveling in a 32ft sailboat and I miss the ability to just pull up the anchor and move on when the mood strikes.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Got the Bug!

Greetings Michael!

Welcome to the Forums!

I am sure that you will be able to find the perfect coach for your grand adventure somewhere within the Airstream lineup. Over the past 70 plus years, Airstream has produced a tremendous number of floorplans as well as offered a number of RV types including the well-known silver trailers, square-sided travel trailers known as "Square-Streams" (both Airstream and second generation Argosy), square-sided fifth wheels known as Airstream Integrity, painted trailers in classic Airstream form known as first generation Argosy (1972-1979), Class A Motorhomes in both Argosy and Airstream flavors with the classic shape, square-sided Class A Motorhome known as Land Yachts or Legacy, Airstream Class B motorhomes known as B190, Avenue, Interstate, Parkway, and Sprinter Westfalia.

Be forewarned that these Airstream RVs become habbit forming, and many of us manage accumulate multiple Airstreams . . . . . .

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Consider a range...

Greetings, and welcome to the ranks of victims of Aluminitis.

Especially since you're going to be getting a suitable tow vehicle, I'd recommend that you consider a range of sizes of Airstreams. I say this not because I think a Bambi will be too small, but because a used Bambi tends to sell for a bigger fraction of its new price than do trailers a bit larger, so you might find a good deal on a 23 or 25 that you'd miss if you're focused on the Bambi-sized trailers.

Oh, and whatever you do, don't ask for recommendations on tow vehicles if you're expecting a definitive consensus. Tow vehicles, generators and hitches are 3 sure-fire topics to elicit controversy on here!

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Michael,
About this time last year WE began the hunt you're on now. It was lots of fun. Take your time. As DKB...says above, don't ignore the larger units out there on the used market. Lin and I finally decided on the floor plan/bedroom we wanted. That narrowed the search parameters a lot.

Like you, we had to buy a beefier two truck for her, and that's ok, too.

So far we've pulled her to 26 States and one Province. We're approaching 20,000 miles since April of this year. It's been a blast.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Greetings

Michael,

Theres nothing wrong with buying an older unit, but that being said, be sure you can gather as much information about the older units as you can. Some years have there own special problems. Pick a model that you like most and then begin to research it as much as you can. Try and find problems that others are having with that same model that way you know what to look for when you go to make a purchase. There are also great people here on the forums that are willing to go and inspect a unit with you. Check out your area and see if you can find someone that would be willing to help you out.

Hope to see you posting pics of your new trailer soon!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote