WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Stopping is good

Towing is old hat. Now lets talk about Stopping. Will that bicycle Stop that thing, and maybe stop it when you didn't plan on needing to? Stopping is good. In unison now; Stopping is good!
Carry on

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. we're glad to have you with us. Do your research, take your time, and the right Airstream will be in your future. Good luck in your search.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Chillax, dude!
Ain't nobody towing with a bicycle or a Road King...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Welcome to the forum! I have been a member of various internet forums from bicycles to cars and airplanes, and this is by far the best, most organized, and helpful group I have come across!

Being in Florida is a good thing. As a previous poster mentioned there are lots of Airstreams there, some good, some not so good, but lots of inventory. I just bought a second Airstream and it came from Florida. We have a family of four, two kids ages 9 and 11. Everyone has different priorities, but for me the ideal size range for our family is trailers from 22-27 feet. Most SUVs and minivans can accomodate these size trailers, especially with a proper weight distributing hitch set up and good brake controller. If you spend most of your time in the southeast it is less important to have a huge tow vehicle capable of going to Leadville, Colorado.

If you go with something like a Safari 22, they are a lot lighter and much more affordable than a 30 foot trailer. If you go vintage, the older trailers are lighter than modern ones for the same length, but most likely need TLC, new plumbing, axles, possible water damage to subfloor, etc. The neat thing about doing that is that you have the freedom to do want you want to do from a renovation standpoint if you have the technical skills to do so.

Best of luck and have fun!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Towing is old hat. Now lets talk about Stopping. Will that bicycle Stop that thing, and maybe stop it when you didn't plan on needing to? Stopping is good. In unison now; Stopping is good!
Carry on
The trailer should be capable of stopping itself.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Two schools of thought on that one, but I vote "before."

If you get the tow vehicle first, you can spread out your purchases. Once you have the tow vehicle, there's no rush to get a trailer, and you can take your time to shop around. But if you get the trailer first, then you'll have to rush to get the tow vehicle.

If you get the tow vehicle first, you'll get used to driving it before you hitch up a trailer to it, and that will make it easier later when you do hitch up a trailer. And if you wanted to get ahead of the learning curve, you could rent a trailer (any trailer, maybe a U-Haul box trailer, for example) and practice all of the essential maneuvers before you have to perform them for real with your Airstream. Skill transfer between rented practice trailer and Airstream wouldn't be perfect— you probably wouldn't need a weight-distributing hitch with a rented box trailer for towing practice— but the practice in lining up to hitch up, backing straight or around curves, etc. would come in handy.

If you get the tow vehicle first, you do run the risk of getting too much or too little tow vehicle for the trailer you eventually buy, so it would help to have a good idea of what size trailer you'd be interested in.
Very well said !
Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Should

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
The trailer should be capable of stopping itself.
Action word "should" there. And they are, 99.9 percent of the time. Then there's those photos of the ittle car run over and jack knifed that one time because something didn't. They pulled these things all over h... with sedan cars way back then, there's pictures of it. But that was back then. We didn't wear helmets skiing either, back then. Didn't need to, skis didn't go that fast, whatever, we did kill a few skiers every year from running into a tree.
Should be able to.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #23

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Action word "should" there. And they are, 99.9 percent of the time. Then there's those photos of the ittle car run over and jack knifed that one time because something didn't. They pulled these things all over h... with sedan cars way back then, there's pictures of it. But that was back then. We didn't wear helmets skiing either, back then. Didn't need to, skis didn't go that fast, whatever, we did kill a few skiers every year from running into a tree.
Should be able to.
Where are all those photos you mention? And how do they compare in number to photos of trucks and SUVs wrecked with a trailer?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
High Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So, finding a good tow vehicle is much easier than the right Airstream, and is a much shorter-term decision as well. If you find a phenomenal deal on a tow vehicle you're sure will suit your needs before you find the Airstream, go for it. I'd say put more effort into choosing the Airstream for now, buying a tow vehicle is like ordering off a big menu, there's something out there that'll do nicely.
Thanks for the advice. I am not feeling quite so anxious about the tow vehicle now.

PharmGeek, your post made me realize that I still have ALOT to learn about factors that go into choosing a tow vehicle. Here I was thinking that it was all about not exceeding 80% max tow capacity with trailer and contents of the vehicle. Nothing is ever that easy, I guess!

m.hony, I own a minivan and a small sedan for commuting. The minivan is nice but I'd rather have a truck to haul our generator and extra fuel. I miss having a truck...

In all likelihood, once I finish my homework on tow vehicles, hitches, brakes, etc...I'll just get a truck and practice. But if my dream 'stream pops up tomorrow I won't hesitate for lack of a tow vehicle. Thanks again for all the advice!