Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
Getting Started in RI

Good Evening All,
I have a question concerning the AMP service to my AS. I called a campground today to reserve a site in ME, and all they had were 20 AMP service that was not close to the water (we have small children and did not want to be close to the water), will this AMP service work for my AS, I am very new at this RVing. Also what are the best hoses to get for the hookups?

Thanks

Will & MEO
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper
Good Evening All,
I have a question concerning the AMP service to my AS. I called a campground today to reserve a site in ME, and all they had were 20 AMP service that was not close to the water (we have small children and did not want to be close to the water), will this AMP service work for my AS, I am very new at this RVing. Also what are the best hoses to get for the hookups?

Thanks

Will & MEO
It will work, with an adapter, as long as you don't try to run the air conditioner or heat pump/strip. If you do, you may have a problem with tripping circuit breakers, or damaging the items due to low voltage.
As far as hoses, you can get the white fresh water hoses at any camping supply store. We have two, one 25' and one 50', depending on where the fresh water hookups are. If your coach did not come with a holding tank drain hose, also called a "slinky" you can get one of those from your camping supply store also. There are two types of valve and fitting for this, either Valterra or Thetford, and the two will not interchange. Basically, the Classic line, as well as the CCD, and some SE models use the Thetford, and the Safari line uses the Valterra.
Something else to pick up at your camping supply store would be a bag of leveling blocks. These are 12" square blocks, that are 1" high, and interlock like Lego blocks to raise one side of your coach up to level it side to side.The stabilizers are just that, and should not be used to level the coach.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Welcome aboard.

You are just across the line from us in Putnam and "Titu and Gail" are in N Smithfield and they have a very similar trailer, PM her. I'm surprised she hasn't knocked on your door yet to sign you up. You have the good luck of being in the New England Unit area, especially with kids. The Rv dealer in 44 may have some stuff but it is pricey. The big one down off 95 / 295 South is better, I think it's on Quaker Lane in West Warwick.

I trust the dealer showed up how to work everything.

I'm heading into Providence Saturday afternoon for birthday parties, if I can help in any way let me know.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome and good luck with your first trip out. Bring plenty of hose, seems those outlets are sometimes never where you want them to be and other times they are too close. Next get a regulator, they are cheap and could save you plumping problems down the road. This attaches to the end of your inlet hose and regulates the pressure of the water coming into your precious new trailer. You would be surprised at the high water pressure these camp grounds can generate. Lastly is an extension cord, best is to get a 30amp cord and a good outdoor rated 20 amp cord. If you can afford it and have the room a 50' length of each is best. Better to have this laying on the ground than stretched where the kids may trip on it if it is off the ground where it just does not reach.
Have fun on your trip. We bought our Chummy out there and took our first trip into Maine.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
I picked up my hoses at Wal-Mart for much less than at an RV store.. Same brand too... I would try there first.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
I picked up my hoses at Wal-Mart for much less than at an RV store.. Same brand too... I would try there first.
Right you are, forgot about that Wally World. However, there are differences in white water hose quality. And you need at least an inline filter.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari
Bellbrook , Ohio
Hey thanks alot all, its been a wealth of information, I went ahead and skipped that place and found one better suited for us.

Is there a tools listing out there somewhere, I am slowly going thru the "Coming to you City" (my sons name for the AS, as my 4 year old loves BIG & RICH), and listing all tools needed it seems to mbe all standard. I have addeda a tourgh wrench in my bag for the lugs, cant never to safe with those. I just wnt to have what I need and not too much more.

Any advice would once again be welcome.

Thanks

Will & MEO
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote