Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I like "Groucho" better than "Gaucho", but hey, it is what it is.

There have been several good threads where people removed the gaucho and put in a dinette. As long as it can be easily made into a good sleeping area, I don't see a negative on doing that. But like we're reminded in the saying "Man does not live by food alone", you do have to sleep as well. Gauchos are not famous for being comfortable as beds, so perhaps for that reason alone, you might be wise to try it.

From what I hear, it's really important to not cheap out on the foam.

First things first though: look for leaks first! You don't want your trailer to get wet inside while you're waiting to decide on the furniture.

Good luck, and enjoy your camper!
We have been assured that it doesn't leak. We know the current owners through my best friend, so I'm not worried about getting screwed over.

We have about 4 camping trips planned in it this summer alone. First, WA state rabbit convention on the other side of the mountains from us, 3 days. Second, will be for a 4H memeber that's leaving for the Navy in Aug, 2 days. Third, for a fair, 4 days. Forth, Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, WA for 7-14 days. Then we might use it in Oct for another rabbit show. And then we do it all over again, minus the going away camping trip, next year. That's the year I will be pulling it out of use from Sept 2014 till June 2015 for some remodeling work.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Getting our 1st Airstream, w/ a question

Greetings CarCollector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCollector View Post
Talked to the current owner yesterday. Seems my 10 yr old was wrong in more ways than one on the camper, lol. It has twin beds in the middle and a groucho in the front. It is all original and nothing has been changed. As far as the current owner, Pat, knows nothing has been removed either. He got the trailer after his grandmother passed away and never really wanted it. He has a boat to pull and it's impossible to pull both at the same time.

I've got a couple of wood workers that I will be checking out next year when we have the money and down time to do some resto work on it. I also need to decide what I want to do about the groucho. Keep it or replace with a dinette. Thoughts on that would be great.
I would urge you to at least keep the coach with its original front lounge layout until you have had a chance to experience its flexibility. The coach's front windows also pose a substantial roadblock to laying out a dinette as there is a pair of large stacked windows on the streetside and a pair of stacked jalousie windows on the curbside. These windows provide wonderfult cross-breezes as well as plentiful natural light. The drop-leaf table that Airstream provided with the coach is very versatile and with up to four Leg-O-Matic chairs, dining accommodations are actually quite comfortable. Unlike some of the later Airstreams, the 1964 version of the front lounge is actually very comfortable, particularly when reupholstered with high quality high-density foam. The photos below are of my coach's original drop-leaf table following its restoration (originally configured with Formica top that matched countertops):

Quote:
I've started collecting some old kitchen items for it. So far we have: late 1950s electric toaster, early 1970s electric can open w/ knife sharpener, 1960s slow cooker in orange, 1960s Tupperware cups in a golden color, 2 1960s Tupperware bowls w/ lids in golden, 2 1960 pots one in green and one in orange, 1970s Reverware pot, 1960s electric hand mixer, and a single 1960s slotted serving spoon. Still have lots more to get. No idea where I'm going to find era correct bed sheets for it, lol.
The further that you get into the Vintage accessories, the more that you will find. You may find that your coach has Avacado green bathroom fixtures with a Sandstone (taupe) color range/oven as that was a comparatively popular interior decor in the 1964 coaches.

I too have acquired a collection of vintage accessories for display in my Overlander that includes: a 1960s Hobart electric coffee grinder; a 1960s polished stainless steel cannister set; Mid-1960s Melamine dinnerware set; a 1950s set of Revere Ware cookware including stovetop drip coffee maker; set of reproduction clear plastic iced tea glasses; cedar hand-cranked 4-quart ice cream freezer (metal gears and dasher); and 1960s school cafeteria trays. Collecting era correct accessories can be half the fun of a Vintage Airstream. My hitch is even a Vintage Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam Sway Control.

Good luck with your '64 Airstream!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Getting our 1st Airstream, w/ a question

Greetings CarCollector!

Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention. He said it has all the orginal glass too, that none of it has ever been broken and it's the louver style glass.
If the "lovered" glass happens to be jalousie windows in positions other than beside the entry door, the coach was a custom. Airstream is known to have produced a number of 1964 Ambassadors and Sovereigns with jalousie windows in positions other than beside the entry door, but if your Overlander has these additional jalousie windows it will be the first that I have heard of being discovered.

Something else to be on the lookout with the coach. Upholstered walls and ceilings in the bedroom area were optional on the Overlander (Tradewind?) and larger 1964 Airstreams and is thought to have been standard when the International package was ordered. The light brown vinyl that was utilized for this quilted upholstery is quite durable and what was installed on the ceiling of my Overlander still looks like new and cleans very easily (my Overlander was ordered with International trim and Plasticoat).

Two cautions that might help with your Overlander. The hitch weight will likely approach 725 pounds when the coach is loaded for travel (mine is over 750, but I have twin 40-pound LP cylinders). As with all Airstreams, your Overlander will greatly appreciate a smooth ride, and I learned from experience (numerous popped rivets and crack in interior skin above entry door) that 600-pound weight distribution bars are the most that you will want with a Suburban as tow vehicle (I utilize 800 pound bars with my Cadillac). Also be prepared for the likelihood that the original Henschen axles will need replacement. You may also find that the coah has split-rim wheels as I know that mine came from the factory with split-rims, but the first owner replaced them in the 1970s. There is also a very remote possibility that you might find that the coach has one axle with electric trailer brakes and one with hydraulic trailer brakes . . . mine was special ordered with such a setup to accommodate the original owners wishes to tow with their 1957 Mercury that was setup to tow their hydraulic brake equipped 1950s Airstream.

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

P.S.: You may find that the Overlander's Bargman connector is wired in a manner that is not compatible with the modern tow vehicle standard. I am attaching a wiring schematic reflecting how the coach was originally wired (the terminal box is in the bellypan, front curbside corner) . . . note that wire colors do not correspond to modern functions either.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1964-65.pdf (28.3 KB, 15 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
I would urge you to at least keep the coach with its original front lounge layout until you have had a chance to experience its flexibility. The coach's front windows also pose a substantial roadblock to laying out a dinette as there is a pair of large stacked windows on the streetside and a pair of stacked jalousie windows on the curbside. These windows provide wonderfult cross-breezes as well as plentiful natural light. The drop-leaf table that Airstream provided with the coach is very versatile and with up to four Leg-O-Matic chairs, dining accommodations are actually quite comfortable. Unlike some of the later Airstreams, the 1964 version of the front lounge is actually very comfortable, particularly when reupholstered with high quality high-density foam. The photos below are of my coach's original drop-leaf table following its restoration (originally configured with Formica top that matched countertops):

The further that you get into the Vintage accessories, the more that you will find. You may find that your coach has Avacado green bathroom fixtures with a Sandstone (taupe) color range/oven as that was a comparatively popular interior decor in the 1964 coaches.

I too have acquired a collection of vintage accessories for display in my Overlander that includes: a 1960s Hobart electric coffee grinder; a 1960s polished stainless steel cannister set; Mid-1960s Melamine dinnerware set; a 1950s set of Revere Ware cookware including stovetop drip coffee maker; set of reproduction clear plastic iced tea glasses; cedar hand-cranked 4-quart ice cream freezer (metal gears and dasher); and 1960s school cafeteria trays. Collecting era correct accessories can be half the fun of a Vintage Airstream. My hitch is even a Vintage Reese Strait-Line with Dual Cam Sway Control.

Good luck with your '64 Airstream!

Kevin
We will be using it quite a few times before I even get a chance to do some major mods or restoration to it. If we like the way it currently is then it stays. If we think it needs something else then we'll look into our options and decide what seems to be the best for it. Thanks for the advice, oh and that table looks beautiful.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Gold Bar , Washington
I've posted pictures up.