Old 04-29-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Getting Closer to buying AS

So we are just in the process of upgrading the TV from the Nissan Frontier to the Nissan Titan in anticipation of putting our order in for a new (2018) AS. That TV shopping decision was exhausting but I believe we have chosen the best truck on the market. We plan on ordering the Serenity International 27FB twin. A few questions perhaps, would love everyone's input. My local dealer (Florida) orders ALL his AS's that are 27' or larger with TWO HVAC units. Not only would having two units cost me more money but would eliminate the exhaust fan in the bedroom! I say a single HVAC unit is sufficient to heat or cool a 27'AS. True? Also, can anyone tell me if it is worthwhile to spend the money to have the main awning push button electrical instead of manual? That manual with the stupid stick to twirl the big round screws will have me NEVER using the awning! Does AS have a decent non-manual awning system? Thanks

astroboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have no experience with the auto awning, my manual is super easy to use, it's not bad at all with the stick and wheel locks. I wouldn't pay for for the auto awning, in my opinion cost too much and just more to break.

With the AC, I would go two. I have. 23D with one AC in Colorado. When it's hot, above 80 it does okay but struggles. In Florida with a 27, I see no way one would keep you cool in that heat and humidity.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Florida? Two ACs. Trust me. Today it was 94 degrees, and it's April.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
I personally would not get the two ac units, but 99 percent of the people would and would see it as necessary. If you can live with the trailer in the low eighties inside, as I can, then one is enough. If you want cool in the seventys, then get the two. I live in Florida also. Get the two, you won't regret it. Charge the batterys using the trailer umbilical from eithe shore power or generater. If using the awning is going to be that difficult for you, I would buy an rv with a power one. These trailers need user participation, they are not automatic. The awning, sewer connections, propane tanks electrical hookups, etc, all need owner participation. If you buy you will find most of the minor problems will turn out to be normal rv stuff and no issues.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Two cents worth -- two A/C's and the manual awning. Once you learn how to use it, no big deal.

Use the blue search box at the top and enter "awning power motorized automatic" -- when they fail, they are often deployed out to some degree, and you cannot move the trailer very far before repairing. A MAJOR pain and inconvenience.

Keep it simple, Stu . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy18 View Post
Also, can anyone tell me if it is worthwhile to spend the money to have the main awning push button electrical instead of manual? That manual with the stupid stick to twirl the big round screws will have me NEVER using the awning! Does AS have a decent non-manual awning system? Thanks
With a little practice I can take up or put away our awning in less than two minutes by myself. No problem at all. As for the awning locks, I only use the stick to flick the latch/lock near the rear of the awning. I use a simple two step folding stool to reach the round locks at either end and tight/loosen by hand. Easy Peasy as they say.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Get the two A/C units. I live in VA and use both. You also now have a 50 amp trailer which adds some things but no real challenges. I have the auto awning and love it. Yeah more to go wrong, but be prepared and learn the emergency retract and you'll be ok. Get the factory solar and full awning package.
VaTravelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I don't have a power awning on my airstream but I do have one at home. The home one gets use a lot even if it's just for 10 minutes to read the paper. It's just a touch of a button. There's also no temptation to leave it out for a quick trip to the store to come back and find it destroyed by a passing shower.

The airstream manual awning is a bit quicker to deploy then a manual home one but something to think about.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Definitely 2 A/C's in a 27 footer, I wished I had two in my 25 footer before I sold it, but we spend most of our camping time in the Southern states in the Summer. You might be able to special order one with a fan in the bedroom. I wished I had special ordered one that eliminated the skylight in the hallway and put in a Fantastic fan instead.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have a twenty seven with one ac. There are times I wish it had two. And I live in Oregon. The manual awning is easy to use, and has a much less likely hood of deploying while you are doing 60 mph on a freeway.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Two cents worth -- two A/C's and the manual awning. Once you learn how to use it, no big deal.

Use the blue search box at the top and enter "awning power motorized automatic" -- when they fail, they are often deployed out to some degree, and you cannot move the trailer very far before repairing. A MAJOR pain and inconvenience.

Keep it simple, Stu . . .

Thats the best awning advice. Just imagine it dies when extended!!! Would mess up an otherwise great AS trip!!!! I will go with the manual and save the money and just hassle with their stupid stick.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
Get the two A/C units. I live in VA and use both. You also now have a 50 amp trailer which adds some things but no real challenges. I have the auto awning and love it. Yeah more to go wrong, but be prepared and learn the emergency retract and you'll be ok. Get the factory solar and full awning package.
Oh, there is an emergency retract on that electric awning? Already did decide on getting the two solar panels, thanks.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
You can get much better solar equipment after market and cheaper as well. If you are a do-it-your-selfer even more savings. Search the forums to see how others like the factory solar and cost.....

One of the best after market installers even lives in Florida.... Lewster on this forum...
Old 04-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Sanford , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
Definitely 2 A/C's in a 27 footer, I wished I had two in my 25 footer before I sold it, but we spend most of our camping time in the Southern states in the Summer. You might be able to special order one with a fan in the bedroom. I wished I had special ordered one that eliminated the skylight in the hallway and put in a Fantastic fan instead.
Apparently anything bigger than the 27' has NO fan in the bedroom and am told that getting the 2nd AC unit ELIMINATES that bedroom fan. "no more real estate for a bedroom fan" if I go with the 2 AC units BUT you said something of interest. Eliminate the skylight and put in a Fantastic fan? (whatever that is). That may do the trick. I just like air moving in the AS if and when its cool enough at night to not use the AC or cold enough to not use the heat.