Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Future Boondocker

Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to buy a trailer this summer and after the SO retires in August, hit the road and head west for a few years of full time boondocking. We had planned to go with the Oliver 22 until I made the mistake of going to see a friends 2007 Safari 25FB. Whoa! Talk about a difference in ambiance. While the Oliver is a fine trailer and is very well engineered and has NO WOOD in it, the starkness of the fiberglass interior is a bit overwhelming.

We are looking at everything we can from the 19-27 footers in the AS line. Everyday we find THE trailer only to find another THE trailer the next day. THE trailer today is the 2014 FC 23 FB. The main concern with the trailer is the smaller b/w tank. Out goal is to be out dry camping 90% of the time and having such a small tank seems to be limiting. Not sure how to deal with that other than using the great outdoors like I would if I were backpacking.

So, I have been absorbing knowledge by reading everything I can trying to get a handle on all the options. We have a house to sell first and then we can buy whatever trailer we want. The for sale sign goes up on 6/1!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome and good luck. We are also Oliver lovers and got close to getting a new one until they went thru production halt. Could not get our head around the money. Then we got a vintage Airstream and couldn't be happier. Very happy to see Oliver back and doing well.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forums....

Don't make the common mistake of buying "too small" to start with.

You are dead on about the tank sizes - get all the capacity you can.

Search to Forums and PM those who may be able to help in your decision.

In many peoples opinion, 25 to 27 feet is the minimum size for full timing.

Ask lots of questions and attend as many rallies as possible - most everyone is willing to share their "too small" or "just right" opinions.

Luck, keep us posted on your progress.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Ketchum , Idaho
We have a 25 ft FB. The Black Water capacity has never been a problem for us (two) boondocking (off grid) for up to a week at a time. However, if I could make any changes...I'd make the Gray and the Fresh tanks bigger, a smaller black tank would be OK. We always have to find a nearby source for replenishing the fresh water. We use 5 gallon jugs and/or a 40 gallon bladder. In most places the gray water can simply be drained into the soil.
We are very active and take quick showers at the end of each day. Along with eating fresh food, we tend to use water.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Most places I have been you cannot drain gray water into the soil. Be sure before you get into trouble. Jim
Old 05-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Thanks all!

I'll have to check the rally schedule and see if there are any nearby this summer.

Tanks are hard to figure. The Oliver has an 18.5 gallon b/w tank and the Casitas only have a 15. We are outdoors types and plan to spend a great deal of our time outside the trailer. We've been together for 45 years and can almost communicate telepathically! The one thing I did like about the 25 FB is the ability to close off the bedroom from the rest of the trailer. I don't suppose you could actually slam the door so it might now have the same affect....:-)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We full-time in a 28' Excella...Lots of storage. Cannot imagine going any smaller than a 25'. Although we started a little over a year ago, this yr was our first boondocking experience and we loved it. It takes research to know where and how easy it is to get into but great fun.

Our record on black tank was about 9 days...No problem. We buy body wipes or do sponge baths and a couple of quick showers. We do add water to the FW and dump gray when allowed.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
The 23FB was perfect for my husband and I before we had a baby. We love the big bathroom which is near the door so you don't have to track mud through the trailer just to use the facilities. The best part was sitting across from each other at the dinette, sipping coffee, and looking out through the big windows. Ahhh, the quiet days.
I agree with nwmsmith, we run out of water before we fill the black tank.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, we are headed back to Foley RV in Gulfport, MS tomorrow. Going to look at a used 2012 23FB and also pay more attention to the 25FB as well. I am leaning more to the 25s for the huge lounge area. I am a huge lounger and the 23 doesn't have much space for lounging.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
We have 17 galleon black and 20 galleon gray tank. We go at least a week on the black tank. The limiting factor is the fresh water tank (30 galleons), not the black tank.
I bought a 50 galleon aluminum gas tank and use it in the bottom of my truck bed for fresh water (9" high) - with a 12v pump from Harbor Freight w/10' 1/2" tube to fill the FW tank when it runs dry - works great. Gets us at least a week and to 10 days if we watch it.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
We're careful when dry camping and do pretty well. Our main limitation seems to be the grey water tank filling up. I'm interested in learning more about the legality and ethics of dumping grey water on the ground. Never done it.
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
We're careful when dry camping and do pretty well. Our main limitation seems to be the grey water tank filling up. I'm interested in learning more about the legality and ethics of dumping grey water on the ground. Never done it.
I was reading a blog and they were talking about this. The blogger was camped on BLM ground and had asked the BLM agent about dumping grew water on the ground. He said you can't do that. But, he then said that if it is not coming from the gray water tank they don't consider it gray water. Seems pretty thin, but I guess he is saying that you can dump your dishwater and shower water on the ground (I would spread it as thinly as possible) but not from the graywater tank.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our experience is that shower water is different than dishwater.

Also, that pulling the plug on your grey water tank is different than dumping something a distance from your rig.

Dishwater contains food particles, which can attract bears, so this is a particular issue in bear country.

Standing in a dishpan in your shower stall will trap a lot of water, which can be dumped elsewhere or used to flush your toilet.

Foley RV will take good care of you.

Have fun,

Maggie
Old 07-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
You are right Maggie, LNT (Leave No Trace) recommends that you filter dishwater prior to dispersing. What we plan to do is to wipe any remaining food particles using a paper towel before washing and then pack the paper towels out when we leave the area.