Old 07-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, we stopped off at Foley RV on our way to New Orleans and have decided the 23FB would be too small and decided that we wanted a 25 FC rear twin model. Naturally, none of those to be found in Gulfport. I did find 2 at Colonial and made contact with them. They offered 16% off MSRP. That seems to be a standard opening offer but not good enough for a 2014 model. I am thinking going back and offering 20% of list. The difference is about $2900 between the 2. Or, I could accept the 16% and ask for some much needed accessories like WD hitch, sheets, newbies package, etc. Any thoughts?

Old 07-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #16
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
I bet Ron at Foley can help you. He has my unit on order now. NJ is a long way from Gulfport. I'm thinking 20-25% is much better, and more in line. I'm 100% sure they won't give it to you unless you ask! and I would.

Nelson

AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
what do people use to filter the dishwater?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I can understand in some places they don't want you to dump your grey water on the ground, but fresh dish water & shower water is OK to toss ... Once grey water hits the grey holding tank it begins to "perculate" and it gets pretty rank surprisingly fast, epescially in warmer weather. While grey water is not as noxious as black water, of course, it is, indeed, smelly and no doubt bacteria-laden. I wouldn't want my neighbors dumping their grey water near my campsite.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
In bear country, dishwater is generally not allowed to be dumped on the ground.

There are many signs prohibiting it and in some places bear cautions are aggressively enforced by rangers. No one wants a bear in a campground.......they make you leave, and close the campground for awhile after a "bear incident".

Some campgrounds have washing stations for campers' dishes, we have also seen sewer type receptacles for dishwater.

The food particles in dishwater attract bears.

We don't try to filter and dump dishwater, we just put it in the toilet.

Where no dishwater is allowed on the ground, filtered dishwater is still dishwater.

Maggie
Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Shower - with the plug in

Then use an empty gallon milk bottle with the top cut open (or a bleach bottle, or a bucket, whatever!). Fill your toilet bowl with shower water and flush, repeat until it's a pain in the neck to bail any more from the shower.

There's no regulation about blackening your gray water --- or is that diluting your black water?

At any rate think of your black tank as an overflow gray tank. Stay until both are full. Carry extra white water in Jerry Cans or a bladder. I can go 10 days without resorting to a true "GI Shower".

Paula
Old 07-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
So, we stopped off at Foley RV on our way to New Orleans and have decided the 23FB would be too small and decided that we wanted a 25 FC rear twin model. Naturally, none of those to be found in Gulfport. I did find 2 at Colonial and made contact with them. They offered 16% off MSRP. That seems to be a standard opening offer but not good enough for a 2014 model. I am thinking going back and offering 20% of list. The difference is about $2900 between the 2. Or, I could accept the 16% and ask for some much needed accessories like WD hitch, sheets, newbies package, etc. Any thoughts?
We have the 25 RB. A terrific design and perhaps the only model that is an easy conversion to reclining chairs/folding table if you tire of the bench seating. It's also a good match to a half-ton truck or large SUV, which make decent daily drivers.

I wouldn't skimp if buying new; get the newest model (2015) for it's updates and retained value. Get the options such as solar, inverter, awnings, 16" Michelins, convection microwave, and a ProPride hitch. You'll realize their value every time you use your Airstream. Based on my shopping around three years ago you would be lucky to get 16% off MSRP for the latest model, more like 12%. You won't regret it if you use it, take good care of it, and can afford it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Thanks, I'll be doing my own solar. I will ask them about the awnings and 16" Michelins. Everything else is already in the package. I will be getting the PP hitch.

We will be full timing so it WILL get used!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:24 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
After the initial issues "we" had with our first Airstream, a 25FB with the cross frame queen bed, we decided within six months to switch to a 27FB with twin beds and ordered a Classic because we liked the real wood Hickory cabinetry and interior. Upon reflection, we decided to jump to the 31 Classic 30 with twin beds as the price difference at ordering time was only an additional $3,012 for the difference in list prices.

The only extra cost option selected was the 50 amp service with second air conditioner. We did a third party 800 watt solar installation that can power all outlets inside the trailer and converted to disc brakes at that time.

There is much more bang for the buck with third party inverters and solar systems.

Do plan on upgrading the converter as the factory unit is single stage ($10 more cost would be a multistage converter) that has a history of toasting the batteries..

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Thanks Switz. We had looked at the 27 and 28 as well. Really liked the 27 but it was a little too big for what we want to do.

The 3 stage converter will be installed very soon.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
After three years we have the original converter, and the factory solar and inverter is nicely installed and served our needs in several cross-country tours, 20 months constant use very well.

Your can isolate and protect your batteries from the converter by putting the battery switch from "USE" to "STORE" (the solar will charge the batteries) whenever plugging into external power. That's how we handle it and will probably install a better inverter when we have worn this one out.

Using the "cross-frame" queen bed is a very short learning curve and becomes a non-issue, like ducking to use the entrance door. Twin bed option eliminates the issue but we're not ready to sleep across the hall from one another yet.

The most important options we have added to our Airstream are a Sonin moisture test meter, a supply if CorrosionX protection product, seam sealant, clear acrylic touch-up pen, and a quarterly inspection and systems check routine to use them.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
There is a lot to learn. I am looking forward to it! Thanks dkottum.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Well, we did it. Did the paperwork for a 2014 FC rear bedroom. Orientation is Saturday but they won't have it ready for pickup until Wednesday. I am glad the hunt is over and I can stop scouring the internet for trailers.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations!

May you have many wonderful adventures.

Maggie