Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
Future Airstreamer here to learn

Hi everyone! I hope you'll forgive a wannabe among your ranks, but I hope to own an Airstream one day and have begun researching my options in the meantime. I have also chosen Airstream renovation and restoration as a topic of research for one of my current college courses (second degree, not that young I'm afraid) as another excuse to do so. I'm fascinated by the different approaches to restoration and how diverse Airstream owners (and their trailers) are and hope to learn from your stories. I also hope to be on the road in an Airstream sooner than later!

Incidentally, does anyone know what happened with Steve Hingtgen's 56 Caravanner? His blog is a great resource, but ends in a cliffhanger at 2008. I want to know what she looks like!
bluerider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Welcome to the forums! We've lots of wannabes here, and lots of ex-wannabes as well!

You could cover a lot of ground with Airstreams. From American design to American business to traffic and infrastructure and how these things move into the lives of every day people, AS covers a wide range of subjects.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Welcome, and good luck in your hunt.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am and art history student pursuing a masters degree in Material Culture, aka "the study of stuff", and have always been in love with Airstreams.

In the world of interior restoration and in regard to my personal/academic research, I find them to be a bit unique.
With old buildings and homes, most restorers aim to exactly replicate the original interior, and in general, to do any less is near sacrilege. I've found vintage Airstream owners are a bit more flexible with their interiors and dramatic changes are a little more accepted. Is this true?

I should probably move this to the restoration forum- I'm sure I'll have more nerdy questions.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bluerider

We were all wannabes once; so no apologies needed.

Welcome to the group.

Sounds like an interesting subject to study- Airstream, not perfect, but the best travel trailer in the world!

I have a 66 Tradewind that is mostly original. I think it is one of the best looking trailers that Airstream has ever made (but I am biased). I only make changes if it will make it better. If not I leave it alone.

Dan

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Material Culture is perfect.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Sit back and lean!

Hello Bluerider and welcome,,,

I was on a search for 5 years until a 72 Overlander came home with us a few months ago.. The group here opened my eyes to lean what too look for good and bad.. We are not the type of folks with money to burn so our budget was slim to enter the Airstream world.. Gave up on the idea more times than I care to count.. Even got a SOB 5th wheel and was so glad to see it hauled off when it sold the joy I cant explain in less than 10,000 words..

What pushed me over the edge was a RV show we saw in Kansas City the end of January 2012.. Sticks and staple wonders.. All will be with a 3 or 5 owner in less than 10 years.. We walked into a new 2012 Airstream on display and it was a game over to look anywhere else but for an Airstream of any age.

The Overlander we got had issues,, mostly from the PO who did not fully understand them but did work on it anyway.. No major damage but was a reason to be able to discount its value to make the deal..

So yes there are some improvements or upgrades one can make that will add value,, but just random cutting and drilling holes without the wisdom given here can get you in trouble and down grade your investment value real fast..

Ask questions,, and be open to lean and some day we will see pictures of your new alum baby..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
And the search tool here on the web is your best friend!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
blue . . .
Like you, we we're wannabe's about this time last year. This forum is The Most Helpful place on the planet. I know you will enjoy exploring all the data in here. The people are First Class.

You are also perceptive about the diversity of AS owners. I'm proud to be part of such a bunch of neat people. Welcome from another Virginian. Get yourself to several AS rally events, even without an AS, to ask people to share their stories with you. Feel free to contact us if you are adventuring 2 hours north one day.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Blacksburg , Virginia
Thanks guys! I will definitely check out some rallies in VA.
I think before I look at Airstreams I should look at another tow vehicle. I have a Honda Element, which I love, but is the complete opposite of aerodynamic. I would feel like I was flipping Wally the bird by towing one of the most meticulously designed aerodynamic structures of the 20th century with a Lego.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Blue . . .
Yep, we also decided to upgrade our TV after we got the 30-footer, loaded her up, and hit the road in the old GMC 1500. That's OK. There are dozens of threads about TVs and hundreds of opinions. Work on finding the right "fit" so as not to over-buy or under-buy when the time is right.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerider79 View Post
I would feel like I was flipping Wally the bird by towing one of the most meticulously designed aerodynamic structures of the 20th century with a Lego.
That made me smile; it's not often you see that sentiment expressed here as the aerodynamic properties of the tow vehicle are so often lost in a fog of acronyms, weights and ratings.

I like to think that part of my consideration of a tow vehicle was that it should be reasonably slippery in the air, not just for the aesthetic effect, important though that is, but also for the ease of towing and the improved gas mileage.

Good luck with your research!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote