Old 12-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I lived in beautiful Minnesota for 25 years and learned all about cold winters. It gets so cold that you can take a hot cup of coffee outside and throw the liquid up into the air. It will all freeze before it hits the ground. The ice on the lakes was 2' thick. My Airstreams sat in the yard from November until April. Too cold and icy for me.

Good to know your Globetrotter has hot air ductwork from the furnace already installed. Maybe there are three runs of ductwork? My 86 Limited has 4" round flex ductwork installed. One run goes to the center bath, and one goes to the water tanks under the floor to keep them from freezing. The others spill out into the living areas.

This summer we moved to Colorado. We are at 8300 feet above sea level, much closer to the sun, but less atmosphere to hold the heat in. It's warmer here. My son has a 69 Globetrotter that he takes snowmobiling in the mountains. He says he stays warm, but I wonder what his definition of warm is.

Get the specs and installation instruction on the furnace of your choice and see what happens.

David

Old 12-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
size doesnt always matter with furnances.

I lived in Idaho winters in a 69 31 foot soveriegn. It had a 30k btu furnance that worked fine with water flowing through system constantly. I am currently restoring a 1966 24 foot tradewind (20' box) in the western mountains of North Carolina and am replacing a 50 year old 20k btu system with a 19k btu system. My only concern about the 19k btu system is that the air flow is too low. It uses a fan versus a squirrel cage air mover for the 30k btu model. I will let you know if the 19k works.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hi geodazed. You mentioned 66 Trade Wind so I had to chime in. I've had mine 2 years now. I "fixed up" mine, restoration is not the right word. But I have enjoyed working on the thing all these hours. Paying the bills for parts and supplies wasn't as much fun.

After replacing a rotted through rear bath floor and all the appliances I have the trailer "travel ready". The NT30 furnace moves air in the underfloor ducts adequately. I have not tested it in freezing weather yet.

I'm always glad to meet another vintage Airstream enthusiasts and compare notes. I'll post a coule of pictures later as Air Fourms isn't working for me right now. "503 service error" what ever that is.

David
Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #18
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
The infrared panel I plan to install is the "Base IR200 - 800 Watt Standard Heating Panel" which can be seen at irheating.ca.

I really like this idea for when one has shore power. It will provide heat, help eliminate condensation, and it is quiet. My little electric heater with a fan does an adequate job of keeping the bedroom area warm on a 30' but we don't like the noise. The heat pump is just plain obnoxious. Thanks for the info. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 12-06-2015, 08:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Here is why we install furnaces in our Airstreams. Looks like a fun time, doesn't it. It is a 69 Globetrotter. I'm more of a fair weather traveler myself.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Sow Covered GlobeTrotter.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	253464  
Old 12-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi geodazed. You mentioned 66 Trade Wind so I had to chime in. I've had mine 2 years now. I "fixed up" mine, restoration is not the right word. But I have enjoyed working on the thing all these hours. Paying the bills for parts and supplies wasn't as much fun.

After replacing a rotted through rear bath floor and all the appliances I have the trailer "travel ready". The NT30 furnace moves air in the underfloor ducts adequately. I have not tested it in freezing weather yet.

I'm always glad to meet another vintage Airstream enthusiasts and compare notes. I'll post a coule of pictures later as Air Fourms isn't working for me right now. "503 service error" what ever that is.

David
Hi David
Thanks for the reply. Great to hear about your tradewind rebuild. I loved the nt30 in my current tradewind. I still have 2 nt30s if you need them. One works great and the other is for parts. When I rebuilt the frame I had to rebuild the collection boxes for the subfloor duct work. Mine were set up as return flow for the furnance, one return vent in the rear bath and the other return under the front couch near the water tank. My nt 30 was a direct discharge unit with a return air metal collar around the unit housing.
I am installing the fridge cabinet at the moment, then kitchen cabinet with new nt 20 which will go under the stove. Will send you photos if you send your email. Mine is jpitt52@frontier.com
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello again geodazed. I changed the "wood" return air plenum below the furnace to an all metal sheet metal plenum to handle the discharge heat from the NT30 (maybe 180 degrees F). From that plenum I ran three 4" round flex ducts: one to the vent near the gaucho, one to the rear bath, and one to the waste warter tank compartment under the trailer. I can run a forth 4" flex duct from the furnace to exhaust in the galley if I need to. But so far I'm staying warm on cool fall nights.

Thanks for the offer on furnaces and parts. I'm good right now. There is a routine in "user cp" called private messaging. Using that you can send a private message via Air Forums. Works good except I haven't figured out how to send a picture.

Here is my 66. I installed the new dometic fridge last summer.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1507 Fridge Installed.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	253550   Click image for larger version

Name:	1509 Golden Sunset.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	253551