Old 03-17-2014, 03:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
frame channel vents how to fix

Alright I am losing my patients and will be working on the frame dispite the weather. the vent channel which starts at the hitch (boxed portion of the aframe) and ends inside the belly pan as you know is a super highway for rodents. I toyed with blocking it with rubber or steel wool but found that it is used not only for support but to vent the belly pan. I still have an aversion to unwanted guest but the leaks and stuff are annoying.

I plan on making two small 1 inch by 7 inch steel brackets by 1 inch by 6 inches to keep the undesireble rodents away. I will atach to these a small peice of screen. if there are any better ideas out there please chime in.
Cliff

Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
Alright I am losing my patients and will be working on the frame dispite the weather. the vent channel which starts at the hitch (boxed portion of the aframe) and ends inside the belly pan as you know is a super highway for rodents. I toyed with blocking it with rubber or steel wool but found that it is used not only for support but to vent the belly pan. I still have an aversion to unwanted guest but the leaks and stuff are annoying.

I plan on making two small 1 inch by 7 inch steel brackets by 1 inch by 6 inches to keep the undesireble rodents away. I will atach to these a small peice of screen. if there are any better ideas out there please chime in.
Cliff
The holes at the front of the frame are not "vents", they are holes left by the factory during fabrication to save $. All they do is help the interior of the frame rails rust out quicker, along with letting vermin into your bellypan. There is plenty of bellypan venting going on with all of the unsealed panel joints across the bottom. We weld patches on these holes in all of our restorations.

When my axle supplier got the contract to supply Airstream with frames last year, they took my advice & added a small plate to close up that area. These frames went into production around June 2013 for the 2014 models.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Thanks colin and darn you are up early! I have a reason and that is that I work mids. I thought that maybe there was a purpose to the insanity and that they thought the design out carefully, but its all good, now instead of the mesh I will just use a plate since we also have those wonderful palmito bugs (big roaches) here. Have a great day!
Cliff