Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Excella 500
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Check around if you decide to redo the axles. A few miles from us is a place where they build all types of trailers and we ordered the correct axles for our unit from Dexter. My husband put them on and it cost us about $900.

And as you already know the people on the forum are the best. Someone (I am ashamed to say that I don't remember who) mailed us a CD copy of the manual for our unit and wouldn't even take postage for doing so.

wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Well, I brought her home over the weekend. My first tow! I bought the McKesh mirrors and put them on - NICE. Though it took quite a bit of time to assemble and adjust. I reset my w/d hitch (hadn't followed the adjusment instructions correctly the first time). The 50 mile trip was uneventful other than my own worries. No rivets popped, no shelves or doors open - guess the worn axles did okay on this short and slow trip. I managed to back it into my spare parking space along the side of my home. Course, I nailed the mailbox with my truck while doing so ... I was looking over my shoulder to back her in place and totally forgot that you need to look and see where your TV is positioned while moving! But I couldn't have maneuvered her into place without the mirrors. I was really slow making right hand turns - those are a bit nerve-wracking for a beginner!
I was able to power her up and verify that the A/C, micro and refer work. I didn't delve into any of the propane powered items - nor did I hook into city water. I'll do that during the week.... but it's pretty cool to have her along side the house. I am sure that some neighbors will soon complain - then I'll take her to the storage site about 10 miles up the road. Got a good deal for $25/mo - outside w/8' fence and 24-hr human security. But it's in a fairly good area and easily accessible for me. The nicer places go for about $80 (outside but with camera security systems).

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:48 AM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
then I'll take her to the storage site about 10 miles up the road. Got a good deal for $25/mo - outside w/8' fence and 24-hr human security. But it's in a fairly good area and easily accessible for me. The nicer places go for about $80 (outside but with camera security systems).
Security cameras are great??????

They confirm a break-in, but don't stop it.

A human guard is best, as long as they don't fall asleep, on the job, or have a friendly thief.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #74
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The owners of my storage facility live at the site. They do regular patrols during the open hours and always stop and say Hi when we are picking up or dropping off. There is a security gate which logs you in and out as well. During the closed hours they have a team of 4 legged guards that are not as friendly as the owners.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #75
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
First of all, congratulations. No matter what kind of axles you have under your girl, you are now a member of the few, the proud, the vintage Airstream owners. You would be hard pressed to find a group of more enthusiastic and supportive vehicle owners. You can post any question--no matter how silly--and get answers here.

As you have already noticed, the forums have some, err, well, strong personalities. You might be surprised (or you might not) with the level of passion surrounding something as mundane as an axle. Dexter versus Henschen might as well be the American Civil War versus the War of Northern Aggression.

As for work, any older vehicle demands a certain level of attention. You can look at this as a pain... or as a "learning opportunity." Doing the work on a older trailer really teaches a person how systems function. I think the same principle is true whether we're talking about a car, a home or a trailer. The more you know, the more you feel in control of your own destiny. There is some measure in pride in being able to say, "Look what I bought," but it pales in comparison to being able to say, "Look what I built."

Good luck.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #76
Rivet Master
1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Looks like a nice unit Funhill. Glad to hear you have it home safe and sound!! You will have many good camping trips in it as I have with all the ones I have had.. Lookin good!!!

"If your not living life on the edge... Your taking up too much room. WANTED, Single lady who loves and has a Airstream. Please send photo of Airstream and Tow Vehicle
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member) RALPH, KW8G..WBCCI # 4201 Metro Detroit & 4CU TAC # MI-007
Airboss is offline   Reply With Quote