Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Funkill take that thing to a good dealer they will check it for free I bet you might be surprised
Have that dealer check and see if there is 2 to 3 inches of tire, "ABOVE: the top of the wheels.

The photo that I have seen, says that the top of the wheel is somewhat hidden.

Remember, ALL 1974 and older trailers will have the axles fail.

Other posters say a normal life expectancy is 30 years.

So lets see if I have my math right.

1973 plus 30 is 2003. That's five years ago.

If in doubt take more photo's and post them.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Welcome!!

Congratulations on your new baby, it looks beautiful!

You must be so excited to finally have an airstream....especially with all the history of airstreams in your family.

You've already made a great choice and have tapped into a network of very supportive people who will be glad to assist you to the best of their abilities. Most of anyhow......sorry that someone had to try and live up to your screen name. Try to take solice in the fact that you're not the first person to have your excitement turn to panic by a less than tactful post.

Now, take a deep breath and quit worrying about what could be wrong with your trailer. Sit back and enjoy the feeling of FINALLY owning an airstream....after your 3 - 4 year search, you certainly deserve that!

Anyhow, if and when you do find out if you need new axles it's not that hard to do. I just attended a rally where probably 98% of those of us who have replaced axles did them ourselves.

Again, welcome and congratulations! Give us a chance, you'll find that we're good people.

Cheers!
Renee
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
just curious... are these axles shot too Andy? Do I need new Henchens that only you sell?
Attachment 65870
Post a better photo.

Some people just don't get it.

I don't really care if the torsion axles are totally shot and the running gear has unbalance square tires.

It's not my money that's going down the tubes.

But, I do care to let someone know if they have a problem, especially a new comer. There are very very few mysteries about an Airstream.

But there are many facts that some are not aware of, and then there are some that no matter what the facts are, at least in their opinion, the facts are all wrong.

They don't have to do a thing, but to check it out.

I make mistakes everyday. Probably the biggest one is turning on my computers.

And the second one is defending Physics.

Andy
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
just curious... are these axles shot too Andy? Do I need new Henchens that only you sell?
Attachment 65870
Wrong.

Many dealers sell Henschen axles.

Andy
Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Attachment 65870
Frank, not only are the axels shot, but I see a mud wasp nest under the air conditoner cover!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Post a better photo.

Some people just don't get it.

I don't really care if the torsion axles are totally shot and the running gear has unbalance square tires.

It's not my money that's going down the tubes.

But, I do care to let someone know if they have a problem, especially a new comer. There are very very few mysteries about an Airstream.

But there are many facts that some are not aware of, and then there are some that no matter what the facts are, at least in their opinion, the facts are all wrong.

They don't have to do a thing, but to check it out.

I make mistakes everyday. Probably the biggest one is turning on my computers.

And the second one is defending Physics.

Andy

I appreciate the info --- just too bad I didn't do enough research to know this before you told me. My embarrassment. There will certainly be more *surprises* to come due to my lack of research.

Soon as the weather clears, I'll make a trip south again, crawl under it and get a good "up close" look at the torsion bars --- thanks mustang for telling me where to look --- and take some better pics. I think my dad is going to try to get a look in the morning too - weather permitting - since he lives closer to the "funstream".
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
funkill, way to go! Congratulations on your first AS purchase. Personally, I don't own one, and most likely am going to be getting an Avion, but great job on this trailer!

When looking at the pictures, I suspected that you were a she. What I really like seeing about your post is that there are women that aren't afraid to go out and get a trailer and then teach themselves how to use it and tow it. Just make sure to give yourself lots of distance and don't ever drive angry.

In defense of Andy, based upon my research when looking to purchase either an AS or an Avion, he was spot on the money. He was willing to help me and was even available on his day off to answer some of my questions. Not that I'm trying to pick on you Andy, as you're definitely one of the most knowledgeable AS'ers out there, but the reply might have been a little more upbeat and friendly. I don't feel it fair to castigate you regarding your reply.

Funkill, definitely read the links that Andy sent. I was looking at purchasing a 1994 Excella and after learning as much as I could on this side, I learned that the trailer was going to require three new axles. I was quoted by the dealer a total cost of around $4500. After checking Andy's business, I found them for $800 apiece, which also included brakes! If you can turn a wrench, you can fix these axles yourself. it's as easy as backing the trailer up on blocks, taking off and replacing the front axle and as soon as that's done, pull it forward on blocks and then replace the rear axle. Obviously that's the abbreviated version, but it's about all there is to it.

Good luck with your AS and I hope that you enjoy it!
FlytoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
When looking at the pictures, I suspected that you were a she.

Okay - it's confirmed .. time to grow the hair back out, loose a few lbs. and find a skirt! If my pic is only slightly suggesting that I'm a girl, then I am even in a bigger pickle than having bad axles.

Quote:
What I really like seeing about your post is that there are women that aren't afraid to go out and get a trailer and then teach themselves how to use it and tow it. Just make sure to give yourself lots of distance and don't ever drive angry.
No Fear - well, limited fear. I am a little disapointed in this turn - but will not let it dissuade me too long. With some help, encouragement, and some caution, I'll try just about anything. And I'll try to remember about the anger warning... good advice!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Andy definitely knows more about vintage Airstreams than I do. I can recognize the lack of wheel visible when I can see it in the photos as Andy indicated, but in your photos, the wheel and tire were both black and in shade so it was impossible for me to tell where the wheel ended and the tire started so I couldn't tell how much tire was showing. Andy has more experience at recognizing this so he probably could tell from empirical knowledge how much was showing and how much wasn't. I'm not saying you have bad axles, but you probably need to have them checked. I would think you can take the Airstream to the storage yard and to a dealer without risking too much damage before you load 'er up. But I wouldn't load her for a three month cross country trip without having the axles checked first.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Welcome funkill,
I think you have a sharp looking trailer and see many years of enjoyment in your future. I'm sure over time you will find a dozen things that need to be fixed or replaced and eventually it will reflect you. Don't get too worried about the axles, mine need replaced but it will have to wait until the wallet allows. I figure if they fall off I'll drive a little faster so no one knows I left it on the side of the road. Since it has made it 45 years another 1 won't hurt it. Enjoy.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
A little finesse and tact never hurts when a newcomer is aboard..Glad your here on Forums with us..Congrats on your first Airstream!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Funkill there are a whole bunch of trailer dealers. I think Bates Airstreamand Rv is there also. I camped on 192 behind camping world in old town, somehow I remember going to a few dealerships just sight seeing.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Many Camping Worlds are afraid to touch Airstreams. However, if you go to the Airstream.com website and do a "Find a Dealer" search through the corporate website, you should be able to find a dealer on the east coast near your home or near your Airstream storage location.

I think there are some on the southern eastern coast of Florida near Ft. Lauderdale and some north of there as well. Bates is farther away from you I believe. There is also an independent Airstream repair mechanic near Ocala (sorry, I don't know his name, just his reputation) and an Airstream dealer just north of Gainesville (J.D. Sanders). Those may be getting a little far from you, too, and there may be some closer to you. I'm not sure where you are, but I got the impression you were on the east coast.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Okay - it's confirmed .. time to grow the hair back out, loose a few lbs. and find a skirt! If my pic is only slightly suggesting that I'm a girl, then I am even in a bigger pickle than having bad axles.

No Fear - well, limited fear. I am a little disapointed in this turn - but will not let it dissuade me too long. With some help, encouragement, and some caution, I'll try just about anything. And I'll try to remember about the anger warning... good advice!
Unless a previous owner has already replaced them, pretty much ANY vintage unit prior to '75 will need new axles, as Andy pointed out. And if the previous owner HAS already replaced the axles, then you're going to pay for it up-front in the asking price anyway. So don't beat yourself up too much about this.

When you get a chance, check out the torsion arms yourself, or take the unit to a qualified service shop and have them do it. If you do find you need new axles, your trailer is still not likely to hurl itself apart over the next 5 miles, or next 50 miles even. And if you choose to replace them, you have some options in brand and seller. Check the appropriate sub-forum on this site for more information than you ever thought possible about Airstream axles. You'll be fine.

Anyway, congratulations on your new trailer.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
funkill, looks like you got an AWESOME TRAILER! (don't let anyone kill yer fun...or yer puns) Thousands of us have purchased vintage trailers KNOWING in advance the axles would need replacement, believe me, it's nothing to freak over. Mine has a couple thousand miles on it with exactly those kind of "yes, they'll need to be replaced...right after I get out on a few trips and have some FUN in it" axles. Knock wood, no catastrophes, no shattered bulkheads, no lost rivets, etcetcetc... and it still tows beautifully on the "shot" axles, just drags the skid plates when backing up the driveway. My point is: don't freak. You got a GREAT trailer. ENJOY IT! ......then replace the axles...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Funkill; Congratulations on your AS. With out knowing much at all about airstreams, in January of this year I bought a brand new (to me) 63 Trade Wind, my first one. It looked so good in and out, and seamed well maintained. On my first outing I noticed the drawers came open , things fell to the floor etc. The next outing I noticed that a # of rivets had popped. Well after i found a wealth of information on these forums i discovered that yes i had bad axles.Had them changed and now it's smooth streamin and things stay in there place. It wasn't that bad. You will get alot of help and good advice here.
Chris
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #37
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
Funkill bad axles are not the end of your Airstream life! Just a small bump in the road. Pull the trailer some like it is now and when you change your axles you will be able to tell a great improvement in the way it pulls and handles. And also much safer. We buy these vintage trailers with the knowlege that they will need some upgrading, I know mine is in need of several things. I do one at a time with the safety items first (tires, brakes, wheels, lites , axles, shocks....) and so on. But it is worth it in the end as the fun factor is priceless!
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I would like to see some interior pics funkill. I remember mine that was a great trailer to have for me. I miss her. My 31 is great also. maybe because the 27 foot overlander was my first airstream. There is a thread show your stuff and those interiors are great, it gives people ideas and what themes will look like.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Thanks to all of you who responded in *positive* likes and encouraged me not to be too freaked out. I was starting to think I was the new owner of a very expensive silver turd! I'll look at for a local dealer - but am actually thinking that I might be able to handle the axle R&R myself. Well, again, with a bit of assistance from someone of the male persuasion ... as a few guys I work with have mentioned that they may be able to help me. I'll get over to the airstream next week to get a better look at the torsion arms and take a few pics - go from there.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
Funkill , you don't have a silver turd. you have a silver home away from home. cheaper than motels for get aways. You have your own bathroom and kitchen. ( Great plus) Any used item will have a few issues. New things are not perfect either, My new Nissan gas fill door release lever broke when I tried to fill up the second time. dealer had to fix it twice before it stayed fixed. Tires, axles and leaks are usually the most pressing to get right as soon as possible. On trailers it is usually the 3 listed above. On motorhomes it is usually tires, air bags and leaks. Fix what you can as you can and try to go camping at least once a month. Andy can be pretty blunt,but he has a great amount of varied knowledge that he has shared with those of us on this forum. Welcome to the forums and enjoy your new silver get away cabin.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote