Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Mick View Post
Wow, if that's what the digital changeover looks like, I'll pass.

Your both wrong, thats one of those new bug zapper

Old 08-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Andy the guy just bought a new trailer. He is excited. I cant help but to notice how many times you say the axles are shot. (The sky is falling) My case was false the axles werent shot but it consumed me for a day. That guy is sick over this. How do you know the ground was level? I cant help but to wonder. He got a nice trailer and is excited. The axles are worn I am sure but to make a blunt statement " shot " You just dont do that to people, My race trailer is an 06 my Airtsream is a 1971 there is little differance between the 2 and they have the same axle, How do you know he didnt have a full water tank and fridge ect? I can only wonder. I hope he takes it to a dealer has them look at it and then enjoys his trailer, Axles and all.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Unhappy

I certainly enjoy the creative thoughts on my pole... but I'm surprised no one recognized a typical exercise accoutrement - and with lights, you can exercise all night long:

Sorry for the panic replies --- just had a feeling that I should have gone through some more research before purchasing... I'm an engineer by training and should *know better*. But, what's done is done and I'll likely need to start figurin' if this is a job I can do (maybe with help from my dad, et. al) myself. In college I used to work on my drag car - but that was a long long time ago!

If I decide to have the work done - how far do you think it's safe to tow for service? How do I decide if it's safe to tow to my new storage spot about 50 miles north?

I knew the fridge wouldn't be something I could get into --.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Funkill take that thing to a good dealer they will check it for free I bet you might be surprised
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Andy the guy just bought a new trailer. He is excited. I cant help but to notice how many times you say the axles are shot. (The sky is falling) My case was false the axles werent shot but it consumed me for a day. That guy is sick over this. How do you know the ground was level? I cant help but to wonder. He got a nice trailer and is excited. The axles are worn I am sure but to make a blunt statement " shot " You just dont do that to people, My race trailer is an 06 my Airtsream is a 1971 there is little differance between the 2 and they have the same axle, How do you know he didnt have a full water tank and fridge ect? I can only wonder. I hope he takes it to a dealer has them look at it and then enjoys his trailer, Axles and all.

Yes, SHE is excited... Man - that bad bleach job and short cut (actually fried off) really doesn't really flatter me, huh?

Right though, I think I gagged when I read "shot". Excitement DONE. It lasted less than 24 hours..... no water in the tank, fairly level lot, don't know of a local dealer... sigh. Well, at least I've stopped worrying about impending Hurricane Fay. Cheers.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #20
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
just curious... are these axles shot too Andy? Do I need new Henchens that only you sell?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	65870
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
Funkill take that thing to a good dealer they will check it for free I bet you might be surprised
Have that dealer check and see if there is 2 to 3 inches of tire, "ABOVE: the top of the wheels.

The photo that I have seen, says that the top of the wheel is somewhat hidden.

Remember, ALL 1974 and older trailers will have the axles fail.

Other posters say a normal life expectancy is 30 years.

So lets see if I have my math right.

1973 plus 30 is 2003. That's five years ago.

If in doubt take more photo's and post them.

Andy
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #22
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Welcome!!

Congratulations on your new baby, it looks beautiful!

You must be so excited to finally have an airstream....especially with all the history of airstreams in your family.

You've already made a great choice and have tapped into a network of very supportive people who will be glad to assist you to the best of their abilities. Most of anyhow......sorry that someone had to try and live up to your screen name. Try to take solice in the fact that you're not the first person to have your excitement turn to panic by a less than tactful post.

Now, take a deep breath and quit worrying about what could be wrong with your trailer. Sit back and enjoy the feeling of FINALLY owning an airstream....after your 3 - 4 year search, you certainly deserve that!

Anyhow, if and when you do find out if you need new axles it's not that hard to do. I just attended a rally where probably 98% of those of us who have replaced axles did them ourselves.

Again, welcome and congratulations! Give us a chance, you'll find that we're good people.

Cheers!
Renee
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
just curious... are these axles shot too Andy? Do I need new Henchens that only you sell?
Attachment 65870
Post a better photo.

Some people just don't get it.

I don't really care if the torsion axles are totally shot and the running gear has unbalance square tires.

It's not my money that's going down the tubes.

But, I do care to let someone know if they have a problem, especially a new comer. There are very very few mysteries about an Airstream.

But there are many facts that some are not aware of, and then there are some that no matter what the facts are, at least in their opinion, the facts are all wrong.

They don't have to do a thing, but to check it out.

I make mistakes everyday. Probably the biggest one is turning on my computers.

And the second one is defending Physics.

Andy
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Attachment 65870
Wrong.

Many dealers sell Henschen axles.

Andy
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Attachment 65870
Frank, not only are the axels shot, but I see a mud wasp nest under the air conditoner cover!
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Post a better photo.

Some people just don't get it.

I don't really care if the torsion axles are totally shot and the running gear has unbalance square tires.

It's not my money that's going down the tubes.

But, I do care to let someone know if they have a problem, especially a new comer. There are very very few mysteries about an Airstream.

But there are many facts that some are not aware of, and then there are some that no matter what the facts are, at least in their opinion, the facts are all wrong.

They don't have to do a thing, but to check it out.

I make mistakes everyday. Probably the biggest one is turning on my computers.

And the second one is defending Physics.

Andy

I appreciate the info --- just too bad I didn't do enough research to know this before you told me. My embarrassment. There will certainly be more *surprises* to come due to my lack of research.

Soon as the weather clears, I'll make a trip south again, crawl under it and get a good "up close" look at the torsion bars --- thanks mustang for telling me where to look --- and take some better pics. I think my dad is going to try to get a look in the morning too - weather permitting - since he lives closer to the "funstream".
Old 08-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
funkill, way to go! Congratulations on your first AS purchase. Personally, I don't own one, and most likely am going to be getting an Avion, but great job on this trailer!

When looking at the pictures, I suspected that you were a she. What I really like seeing about your post is that there are women that aren't afraid to go out and get a trailer and then teach themselves how to use it and tow it. Just make sure to give yourself lots of distance and don't ever drive angry.

In defense of Andy, based upon my research when looking to purchase either an AS or an Avion, he was spot on the money. He was willing to help me and was even available on his day off to answer some of my questions. Not that I'm trying to pick on you Andy, as you're definitely one of the most knowledgeable AS'ers out there, but the reply might have been a little more upbeat and friendly. I don't feel it fair to castigate you regarding your reply.

Funkill, definitely read the links that Andy sent. I was looking at purchasing a 1994 Excella and after learning as much as I could on this side, I learned that the trailer was going to require three new axles. I was quoted by the dealer a total cost of around $4500. After checking Andy's business, I found them for $800 apiece, which also included brakes! If you can turn a wrench, you can fix these axles yourself. it's as easy as backing the trailer up on blocks, taking off and replacing the front axle and as soon as that's done, pull it forward on blocks and then replace the rear axle. Obviously that's the abbreviated version, but it's about all there is to it.

Good luck with your AS and I hope that you enjoy it!
Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
When looking at the pictures, I suspected that you were a she.

Okay - it's confirmed .. time to grow the hair back out, loose a few lbs. and find a skirt! If my pic is only slightly suggesting that I'm a girl, then I am even in a bigger pickle than having bad axles.

Quote:
What I really like seeing about your post is that there are women that aren't afraid to go out and get a trailer and then teach themselves how to use it and tow it. Just make sure to give yourself lots of distance and don't ever drive angry.
No Fear - well, limited fear. I am a little disapointed in this turn - but will not let it dissuade me too long. With some help, encouragement, and some caution, I'll try just about anything. And I'll try to remember about the anger warning... good advice!