Old 09-10-2006, 06:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I can't help but keep hearing you say "two tires." If the Overlander is a tandem axle as I suspect I would go ahead and replace all four tires at the same time. If they are checking then it's time to replace 'em. Tire blowouts do really expensive and ugly damage to AS aluminum! Ask me I know from first hand experience.
Once the trailer is in place you can cover or remove the tires for long term storage.
I was just in your neighborhood last month! Hope you're going up 101 to 20 to get the new AS home......
We drove 1 from Legget to the GG Bridge... Hope you have a safe trip back with your new prize.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
Fort Bragg , California
Thanks for the response! I was thinking of just changing two of the tires, but you're right, it is probably best to do all 4. These things really are just like airplanes, aren't they?

Glad to see visitors! But I'll be on hwy 128, it is longer but MUCH more sane than hwy 20. Couldn't even imagine hwy 1, except that I have been stuck behind other travelers there in the past. But no one takes that road to go quick. Come back anytime.

thanks again

kaulike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
Fort Bragg , California
WELL, got 'er home in one piece, with one very long day. I rented the 3/4 ton pickup and bought a brake controller, and then ended up also buying a new ball hitch because I picked the wrong one at the rental place and didn't discover until I was at the seller's house 200 miles away. I did change all 4 tires before I left (with 225/75/R15 radials).

The tow went VERY smoothly, thanks in great part to advice from this forum. I promise not to disappear too quickly!
kaulike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Good job, kaulike! Sounds like you did all the right things. You must be relieved to have your own Airstream now safely in your possession. Now the fun begins. Don't forget to send pics.

Traveling With Elvis
life with a 1956 Sovereign of the Road

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote