Old 06-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
How you coat the floor depends on what shape it is in and how long you think you will keep the trailer. It also depends on what level of restoration and improvement you want. So one approach is to treat it with something that prevents rot (you'd need to investigate that) and coat it with the most water proof coating known to the universe.

But the most water proof thing may be unnecessary if you can infuse it with something that prevents rot. Since you are not (maybe, if I recall correctly) putting in a new subfloor, you can't treat the sides and bottom of the wood, so something absorbed into it seems worth looking into. So, is it the full monte or not? Is either necessary? Are you going to keep this for 40 years?

I used urethane hoping I could control leaks and knowing that in 15 years I will be unable to use a trailer and will be drooling and placed in a quiet corner where I don't bother my wife. I hope the cartoon channel is still on TV then. Besides, I didn't really look into things like borate (which I don't understand, but is interesting), so I didn't even consider it.

Like all decisions, there are many ways to go.

Having looked at your first thread, I see your resources are limited, so you may want to do the least to get it usable and towable, or you may want to do a few things very well (probably meaning expensive), or some blend, or ask your parents for money ("I want my inheritance now so you can see how much I enjoy it"). Now that the school year is ending, what are you doing next year? Art teachers are being let go everywhere and that is unfortunate. Children need you and I hope you get a good job.

Enjoy the toilet and if it gets really disgusting blame Dan, it was his idea.

Gene

Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
For the record:

Inheritance? hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha

I do still have the teaching job, and I'll be returning down to Silverton at the end of August (hopefully living in the SS on weekdays/Portland on weekends). Silverton has a wonderful and fairly stable school system (only four furlough days next year, & no teachers being cut), which is one of the reasons I took the position here, even if it meant being an hour from my house in Portland.

But thanks for your concern, it is true I feel like part of a dying breed...

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Gene, you may be drooling but that can be controlled. My Dad is 87, drools intermittently but in several weeks he will get on a plane to Alaska and kick my brothers asses during the short Sockeye season. They use gill netters and he can work the drums and nets better than anyone I know. The salmon don't mind a little drool. And it's good for him and quite honestly I think the catch would be terrible without him. I'ts a crowded field and he can bully and intimidate very well. You need to stay out of his way when he yells so you don't get get sprayed but everybody knows this. We have four permits for two boats so they layout double sets and you have to keep other fisherman away. He has a bullhorn he uses quite frequently Sorry about the hijack CarrieSue but I saw an opening here

Dan.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dan (or "Dan Dan" as you have been signing lately; I guess we have to worry about you too. If you sign "Dan Dan Dan", off to the rest home). I am not drooling yet, just anticipating the future since I can't always remember the past. And now, maybe, back to the Silver Streak.

Gene
Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Oh, don't worry guys, it wouldn't feel like a proper thread if there wasn't at least a little hijackery.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #62
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Finally, progress.

I've moved out of my rental and back to my house in Portland, and the trailer safely voyaged with me and is cozied up next to my parent's house, also in Portland.

And I got the toilet out.

I decided to be serious and go with the Rot Doctor Epoxy; I hope to have the last of the floor prep done today so I can get that applied by tomorrow at the latest. Floor's on order and I'm going to check out the flexible quarter round options at HD. I might even stop at the fabric store and do a little dreaming -- curtains and upholstery are a ways away, but for me, that's the fun stuff. Probably because I actually know what I'm doing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	161832   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	161833  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	161834  
Old 06-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I knew you could do it!!!!!!! Success builds satisfaction, pride and confidence...

Dan
Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #64
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
This is shaping up very nicely as a renovation thread . . can hear those CarrieSue gears clicking at a distance of 2,323-miles . . not an hour ago was looking at those cabinet door "antiqued" mirrors in mine and wondering how this trailer was coming along.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
silverton , Oregon
CarrieSue, what school do you teach at? I'm here in Silverton and I love our School District (most of the time) I have 5 kids but only three are still at home. Two of them are at the high school and my youngest is at Victor Point.
Are you going to be living here in your trailer? I would love to see it when you are done!
Meredith
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Carriesue, you are now a member of a select group who have removed toilets. Your next one will be easier.

Gene
Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Carriesue, you are now a member of a select group who have removed toilets. Your next one will be easier.

Gene
Hi, I'm a member of that group too; Maybe we should have some big red numbers to identify ourselves.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I'm a member of that group too; Maybe we should have some big red numbers to identify ourselves.
Brown numbers would be more appropriate.

Gene
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
It's true that I have felt mixed about wanting to share this new accomplishment among my friends. Although compared to scraping the whole floor with a putty knife, getting the toilet out was far more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

Meredith, I'm the art teacher at the high school -- I teach everything except Ceramics -- and yep, next year I'll be living at the Silver Spur RV Park Mondays-Fridays with my daughter, who will be a junior. Weekends we will still come back up to our Portland house. It's possible I had your kids in class this year! It's true the the school district in Silverton is remarkable & I'm glad to hear you appreciate it as well. You will be welcome to come for a visit -- if all goes well we will have the trailer moved down by the last week in August.

It is going to be a beautiful day, 78 and sunny, and as much as I just want to be in my trailer, the yard demands attention, too. If only I had a clone to help me out... actually, I'd rather have a clone of Rednax instead. That would be way more useful!
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And I'd much rather be in a place where the high is 78F instead of 102F + humidity. My clone can stay 'round here and attend to the ordinary.

We're all looking forward to pics as you go along. I learned quite a bit when I sold my last one. Put together a CD for prospective buyers with 115-pics and 5000-words of text/captions. Lighting is some work. I say all this, art teacher, because whatever you do I'll be studying closely (among others). Some of us have an eye: CG, for example, in their multitudinous trips has been my teacher on what camera to buy and some of how to use it. Some talented types around here as you know . . so get'em all cloned, willya?.

The dirty stuff is satisfying when done (we can make it easier to clean in the future by the way we modify it).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote