Old 04-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Come on up to Gig Harbor and you can hookup with a water and Rainier view.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00321.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	156113  

Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
That is a gorgeous spot! Wow! I will keep you in mind, for sure.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Typical Bad Re-Do

The owners had good intentions. The interior needed "freshening". There was a bit of damage. We wanted bunks for the kids. TARGET had a sale in housewares. Paint, fabric, DIY-heaven. Etc

Silver Streak aluminum Trailer

By contrast check out Sunni Maravillosa's '83 in Vintage Kin. I think her plans changed, but it was one great find.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...eak-43038.html

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
taking out the carpet is (I think) one of them. I also need to establish the condition of the subfloor.

Have at it, girl. Nail strips, staples and some glue. Plenty of work to make smooth. And, yes, you'll find all soft spots if there are any. Check around toilet, door, "under" awning supports, front windows. Most can be repaired with WEST Epoxy kit (see other threads).

Is the only remedy for dry rot cutting it out and replacing that section? Since I'll be putting in new floor, I'd like to be thorough so I can be confident about the condition moving forward.

Probably. But read around here. A/S trailer owners are expert about trailer floor rot. The interior of an S/S comes apart like a puzzle, but you want to avoid taking the kitchen apart (counter with sink, stove, etc). The rest isn't as bad so look for "solutions" that are liveable.

Like most folks you're probably going to start with what you're comfortable with. I recommend the exterior lamps, etc, related to safety inspection. It isn't hard, there's room to mess up, and much is just cleaning and list making. Taking on that piece of "uncomfortable" makes the truly difficult less intimidating (as it should be). One may rationalize that it will just sit, therefore, no hurry . . . but it's mainly easy and cheap. Just like cleaning . . familiarity is acquired bit-by-bit.

Two more questions: is it necessary to cut the carpet into strips before pulling it up? Any tips about this process?

Do anything you want with it. Yes, it might be easier as dragging a huge clump of carpet out could cause damage. Cut big sections and get a helper, IMO. My wife and I did ours, no big deal (just dusty).

Also, the loveseat/bed isn't attached to the wall, so I'd like to just move it as I'm pulling, rather than attempt the dubious task of trying to get it out the door. Is this reasonable?

Everything in that trailer, everything, came through that 27" wide door. The seat will come apart. Don't sell it. Put it aside, same as accompanying cabinetry. Remember that RV furniture is sized a certain way. No oversize dimensions as with house furniture. Never sell or give away anything that came with trailer of this sort.

I will definitely soon have window questions as I want to make sure I have good seals and don't know exactly what that would look like. I will also need advice about removing an interior panel, since I definitely want to take a look at the condition of the insulation in the panel that shows water damage.

Window seals may not have replacements available. You can find out for us. The windows, I think, were HEHR.

Interior panels are not really removable in the way the cabinetry is. You can, but unless there is a problem, the wall insulation (pink fiberglass) dried long ago. It's the underfloor double shell that is more problematic (may have become clumped). I'd leave it alone unless something points up to the need for access. This would be seriously serious. And outside the price paid for the trailer. Leave well enough alone, IOW.

A guy I knew years ago growing up lives out your way, Harley Soltes, Photojournalist and re-did a flooded Silver Streak where you may still find the info on the SS Mailing List archives. They bought another to use, but took the time to rebuild the interior of the one that should have floated away. I believe it is used as a caretaker cabin now. 4-season capable as are all SS trailers once re-done. This was one helluva lot of work.

Starts here:

wideshottrailer.jpg | Harley Soltes Photographer

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Idle Hands & Ankles

Man, ligaments are slow to heal. I am still moving very slowly.

I've been making some progress with the cleaning. I find myself doing a lot of opening and closing of cabinets, staring, adding to the list of things to research and decide, and staring some more. Window screens, for instance. Boy do they need a cleaning.

Also, I need to decide how much of the twin beds to keep -- they both have box springs and mattresses that are in good shape; they are original. They are very clean w/ no evidence of damp, but I'm a little unnerved by dust mites, so I'm considering getting thin but dense high quality foam cut to put on top of the mattresses, and then wrap them in a dust mite cover. I have read that putting mattresses out in the sun w/ a dusting of bicarbonate of soda for several hours, and then vacuuming them well does a good job, but I haven't done it before. Since we'll be sleeping on them five nights a week, nine months a year, I do want to be thorough about the beds!

Also exciting -- I have found at least part of the original vacuuming system that was built into the trailer. I need to cross-reference it w/ the manual, but I am pretty excited to try it out!

For your viewing pleasure, here are some exciting things I pulled out of the overhead cabinet--

P.S. Rednax, I am itching to get the carpet out, thanks for your rec's on the subject.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trailer1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	157826  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Louvre Love

First, let me just say how much I love my trailer. I was feeling pretty lively after work today, and it was sunny and temperate, so I thought I'd start cleaning my windows and screens. But I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get them out. No screws or clips that I could see from the inside and out... finally, noticing they were not tight in the frames, I slid one around a bit, had my aha moment, and discovered they come out so easily, they just slide up high enough to free the bottom, and then pull down and out of the frame. Such a simple and effective design.

Then I spent over two hours cleaning one louvered window with a toothbrush. Wow. Gross. I don't think those screens had ever been taken out. There are eight louvered windows in all, so I'll be at it for awhile.

Sadly the vacuum is missing a crucial component so it doesn't work, but I am going to take a look-see on my good friend the internet and try to find a replacement. Although that's going to be pretty far down on the list!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	158014   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	158015  

Name:	photo 2-1.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	158016  
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Is the vacuum still "plugged in"? The wiring and such is pretty obvious when the bed is up and out of the way.

There are some good recipe on the Net for screen cleaning (having done this on several houses, not just TT's, the past few years). An extending handle soft brush of the RV cleaning variety is good for this. Borax is a good addition to the cleaning supply box in any event.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Do you use anything to lubricate the gasket after cleaning screens? Mine look good but it seems like the kind of thing that can get dry and crack over time.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
All I remember doing is to clean it. I can't remember the material type.

"303" is another good addition to the supply box, and good for most any gasket type (as is silicone grease); also for other uses as recommended.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Silver Streak

Hi... Great looking trailer.... this is the next one we would like... have one in mind and left our name and number with the owner... possibilities are endless on redo or restoration... do what suits you...
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Out Comes the Carpet

Next week looks like solid rain, so I thought I'd better get some carpet torn out. Now, I only got as far as the living room -- I'm working by myself, a scrappy 5' 9" & 125lbs -- but I still feel pretty proud of it. It's a different level of commitment, and a little scary, for, while that carpet was ugly and dingy and embedded with dust, you couldn't tell that immediately, and the trailer looked pretty much ready to camp in. Nothing like tearing out the floor to change that. A cool discovery was that the gaucho fit perfectly in the galley, leaving me the whole living room area to work.

The news is not unexpected, and not great. There's definitely dry rot in the subfloor, although the fact that it looks ugly doesn't tell my untrained eye how bad it is. I knew the trailer had briefly flooded once, I think in the late 80s, and that's when the carpet was changed out. The PO said he replaced some of the plywood, but it's obvious some (if not most?) of it is original, certainly where the the original lovely linoleum is attached.

So it looks like there were/are leaks in the front windows and the window by the front door. I wasn't sure if I was going to need to take out the cabinets on either side of the gaucho, but now I see that the plywood base in the cabinets isn't actually the subfloor, so those will need to come out so I can address the whole expanse at the front. I'll figure out later this summer how to retool those cabinets, I do intend at this point to use the same configuration & gaucho frame.

I have read in certain threads on the forum that dry rot can be stopped by drilling holes in intermittent locations in the subfloor, and applying Rot Doctor and then fiberglass resin. This is an appealing approach to me, as it is something I feel like I could tackle unaided. So, keen forum eyes, how do I know just how bad the damage is, and what fix is necessary?

Also: one advantage of the expected rain is that I can watch for areas where the water might still be coming in. I am going to try to detach the wall cabinets this week, too, to get a look-see below.

P.S. in the first photo, it looks like the whole front area of the floor is a darker color, but the lighter area in the middle is just detritus from a grotty carpet pad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	158700   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	158701  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	158702   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	158703  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	158705  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
First, do you have a photo program on your computer that will enable you to rotate the photos?

It's hard to tell with photos and I'm no expert, but the floor doesn't look too bad me. Is it soft? If it is firm, perhaps you can restore the wood. I know there are epoxies used for restoration. I don't know if Rot Doctor is an epoxy, but smaller areas of rot can be repaired. Hopefully someone who actually knows what he's talking about will reply.

And at 5'9" you can reach more areas without moving.

Gene
Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Hm, the photo thing is annoying. Not sure why they uploaded this way. I will fix it this eve when I'm back on my home computer.

And you are right, Gene, I do have quite a reach--
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Someone can correct me, but if the leaks have been stopped (any due to windows, roof vents, etc) then the "fixes" you apply to the floor ought to make it "okay". I say that with trepidition, but it would be the way I'd go (assuming there are no true soft spots that fall apart on probing). Sounds like you've already bookmarked the appropriate threads/posts.

And leaks don't always correspond to location vis-a-vis where the water got in. Water likes to travel around in trailers.

On the exterior: any where the outer skin has been "punctured" (say by awning arms, front window cover, etc) is where to investigate for leaks (past roof vent covers, A/C gasket, etc).

I just lost all three new vent covers (holes in them) in a recent storm with sustained 60-mph winds and twenty-minutes of hail. But clear tape on both sides after I borrow a ladder will suffice for this unit. I'm still chasing plumbing leaks (but think I have most of them). This old trailer gotta go . . so be patient with your new one and tackle another project while the floor problem percolates.