Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
CONCORD , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to Erik Olson
Nice chair! Is that a Mulhauser MR Chair from Plycraft?

Mine, sadly with no ottoman...

[/hijack]

Erik Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
It's a Plycraft, but not a Mr. Chair. I believe Mulhauser also designed this model, which was trying to copy the Eames chair pretty directly -- there are some differences in proportion and in the armrests, and in the quality of the leather, although mine has aged pretty well.

My dad bought this chair new in 1976 (it's still got the Plycraft label on the bottom), and he finally gave it to me a few years ago. It's a year older than my Silver Streak, and two years older than me --

I also have the Thonet rocker I was lulled to sleep in as a baby, and that I lulled my daughter to sleep in many moons later. In that case, my dad sprung for the original.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
P.S. That is a seriously sweet chair, Erik!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
One is always "correct" in replacing any appliance 15-years old or older. They've served their time, no matter how much used.

On TT appliances it really, truly is better to stick with original type. Don't know the budget, but "projects" can grow out of hand, plus

The original furnace ducting also helps heat the fresh, black and grey tanks. Without that ducting they're more likely to be affected by freezing temps.

And keeping the TT warm from end-to-end is the strong suit of the type of furnace we have aboard.

My current TT has a brand-new one. Great to crank it up when I wanted to keep things warm. And then down a ways at night.

TT's of the age of ours -- yours and mine -- tend to have more air infiltration than a new one; doors, windows, etc. Thus, a heater like the one linked is not going to be able to keep up . . it'll be roasting in the lounge and cold in the bathroom.

Be sure to inspect ducting all the way from furnace to outlets. The quality used originally was high. But that doesn't mean some poor repair to, say, the water pump, didn't also cause some damage.

If any needs to be replaced, note any "vent holes" along the way; where they are located and how "clocked". SS had a supplier that made these (I'd guess) ready to use according to blueprint. If it needs to be replaced, then one of the aircraft supply houses would have it (fire rating, etc).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Unless you have a heated water hose, disconnect it when the temp goes below freezing (actually 29˚ or so is ok when just in the early am).

Gene
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Interior Pics: First Installment!

Today was a good day -- our Silver Streak was finally delivered. The weather also happened to be very beautiful, so I was able to open up all of the windows and get the requisite washing up started.

We are calling her Elektra.

While in general the trailer has been very well maintained, it hadn't been camped in for over a year, so there were some yellow jackets starting to nest up in one of the ceiling vents, and everything needs a good scrubbing.

The PO had a real (and understandable) penchant for keeping things original, but even he admitted that there are some things that could really benefit from being upgraded or replaced. My challenge will be deciding which things to keep exactly how they are and which to change. While the late 70s isn't my favorite design moment, I do plan to embrace the character of that look, but without getting too cheesy and without being too uptight about authenticity.

It was such fun to start the washing and polishing (just finishing with a rub of WD40 on the anodized surface for now, wow it sure makes a difference). My daughter and I put on some tunes and started from opposite ends of the trailer. Knowing not every step of this project will be as smooth as today's was made it all the sweeter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	155915   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	155916  

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	155917   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	155918  

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	155923   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	155924  

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	155925   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	155926  

Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
That thing is in great shape! Nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Carrie,
Honestly, think I'd go with the electric oil radiator route. Space would be my first concern. Realize that the Dickinson isn't that large, finding the space may be a problem. It's a NEAT idea, I'll admit. Wondering if replacing existing furnace wouldn't actually be about the same $???
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
When we did curtains, for example, we "pulled samples" of woodgrain, wall covering, etc. Those were what mattered, IMO, not the idea of the 1970's. A lot of time at fabric and floor showrooms (the Design District in Dallas). The floor pattern, shade & color, was overall key . . natural light, artficial light, etc. This whole process took place over several weeks. Finally, came down to just a bare set of choices.

Playing to SS strength is easiest. And the wall table plus couch table tops don't appear original. Not that model year anyway. The wall table is like what we had in the '83 (what we matched cork to).

The padded surrounds on the beds are the harder part to replicate or work with. Their removal makes for much less comfortable bed (cold walls, kinda). Changing the color wasn't something we needed to do.

You have an original LEARJET radio. If it works, keep it. The AM/FM tuning section is far better than what is available today. New speakers, alone, are enough to make that perform well.

Holler at me with questions. Cleaning the 34' and then the 32' was each time a 4-5 day job by myself. 3-buckets, a huge stack of microfiber towels and CASTROL SUPER. Then, as per SS SCOTT's LIQUID GOLD on wood (non-aerosol). Two applications. GEL GLOSS for bath and counters. All tried & true.

I start with lubing hinges, mechanisms, and cleaning all that metal. PENETRO-90. Then start the cleaning with the ceiling and working down, room-by-room, from the bath forward.

No matter how clean (and one of ours was) it is a big deal to be done. And noticeably nicer afterwards. I rented a commercial ozone generator for this one and that was so good I cannot recommend it highly enough. Run the A/C on fan with it. I did it 24-hrs, but 12 ought to be enough.

Great pics, great condition. More it's just cleaned and left alone the better it will work out, IMO. The mirrors seem funny, for instance, but work with -- again -- the vein color. The removal of them just darkens and saddens the rooms they're in. That's when folks get the bad idea about painting wood, walls and the rest. Never works out.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
CarrieSue,
Your TT is in unbelievable condition! What a major score for you! Sorry about your foot, fortunately you don't have to be mobile to enjoy your mobile home!
We took a trip near Grants Pass 2 weeks ago. We were driving around some back roads and I saw SS. I snapped a picture of it for you. I have momentarily misplaced my camera, but when it turns up, I'll post it.
It's funny, so many of these trailers are so much alike and I still love looking at pictures of each and every one of them.
Take care and I hope you get to go somewhere soon!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for the compliments -- I didn't want to crow too much, but I do believe I got an amazing deal on an amazing trailer. Even if it isn't an Airstream. Only cost me $4500 and a dog bite, but that's a story for another day.

I overdid it a bit this weekend in terms of the bum ankle, so I spent this afternoon organizing the Airstream Life collection a fellow forum member loaned me. I'd been reading them willy-nilly, based on the covers I liked best, but once I started reading about the Vintage Thunder renovation, I decided I should really be methodical and start at the very beginning (a very good place to start).

I also have a ceramics show coming up, so I worked on some art aka "skulptchas". There was plenty of light what with all the reflected aluminum shining through the window.

REDNAX, I love to indulge my OCD tendencies and am relishing the thought of the scrubbing to come -- I have a little post-it (stuck to my iPhone, how's that for using technology) listing your recommended products. We have a great not-so-little Ace Hardware down here in Silverton that's full of nice men who really want to carry things around for me, it's way better than ordering off of the internet.

Mrs. Mod-- what a sweetheart you are! I would love to see a fellow SS from your travels.

Okay, I'm getting punchy, it's time to get off of the computer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	156017   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	156018  

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
An authentic restoration vs. making it the way you like means a lot of hard decisions. Things that you don't see are easier. For ex., replacing bulbs with LED's is an improvement and invisible. Authenticity can be expensive and that may determine some decisions. The design era of the SS is not my favorite either, but a sense of what matches the trailer and what doesn't can determine what you do.

The trailer looks to be in great shape and that makes it harder to "modernize". You've picked a series of tough decisions.

We have a 2008 trailer and some of the factory design choices are out of date to us, so we just update. I guess we are not authentically modifying it and in 40 years someone will notice that. Maybe they will find cheap vinyl sheet flooring and put that in. Maybe they will put in the halogen and incandescent bulbs. Maybe they will complain that I didn't keep it "perfect". I won't care. I'll be 111.

My unsolicited advice is to keep the quality, update when necessary and try hard to have newer stuff match the old. Those kind of matches are difficult. When I see a 1930's car with a new engine, transmission, seats, A/C, etc., I feel like they violated the car, but it is a safer, more efficient, more comfortable car, but it is not a restoration.

Gene
Old 04-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
CarrieSue, what I enjoy most is the up close inspection that cleaning requires. One comes to appreciate the simple quality -- high level quality -- of the way Silver Streak did things. It lasts. The close cleaning, the ozone "aeration" and just doing floors and lighting (as CG mentions) is quite a chunk of money. Replacing light fixtures with yacht quality is one approach (marine lighting) but not a nautical look. LED, yes, all the way, inside and out.

Plenty to do right there before getting sideways on wanting to change a system: clean, new floor, and hours and hours trying to find light fixtures. Plus convert all exterior lamps to LED.

The rest will grow on you (the ideal solutions) given a year or so. I'd do the same with landscaping and house design. Start with something good and resist major changes awhile.

This last group of pics shows what a decent Silver Streak looks like. "Decent' in that it is in much better condition than a comparable A/S either mechanically or cosmetically. You've already quite a headstart is another way to see it.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Sequences?

First off, I wanted to say that I know this isn't a Silver Streak forum, but you ladies and gents are so great, I'm just going to keep counting on your goodwill and feeding you with pics to stay in your good graces!

Okay, so I have my short list of things to do, and I have a couple of questions.

While changing out the floor isn't of the first importance, until summer rolls around, I have to tackle projects that I can do on my own, and taking out the carpet is (I think) one of them. I also need to establish the condition of the subfloor. It does not have soft spots as far as I can tell (but I'm not doing a lot of jumping around w/ my bum ankle these days), but there is evidence of recent water damage that the PO told me about and showed me near the front door -- we have had a seriously rainy late winter/early spring, and I think it's owing to the gaskets/seals in the windows just to the right of the door (from the outside of the trailer). There is an area on the very bottom of the interior panels by the front door that shows evidence of water damage, although it is currently dry.

So, I want to establish the extent of any water damage & possible subfloor repair/replacement. About 15 yrs ago the trailer was flooded for a brief period, and the PO replaced the subfloor w/ marine-grade ply. I believe him, as he took a lot of pride in the trailer, but I still want to check, you know? So how do I check, and does this make any difference in terms of any necessary repairs? Is the only remedy for dry rot cutting it out and replacing that section? Since I'll be putting in new floor, I'd like to be thorough so I can be confident about the condition moving forward.

Two more questions: is it necessary to cut the carpet into strips before pulling it up? Any tips about this process?

Also, the loveseat/bed isn't attached to the wall, so I'd like to just move it as I'm pulling, rather than attempt the dubious task of trying to get it out the door. Is this reasonable?

I will definitely soon have window questions as I want to make sure I have good seals and don't know exactly what that would look like. I will also need advice about removing an interior panel, since I definitely want to take a look at the condition of the insulation in the panel that shows water damage.

I have some great photos of the stack of treasures I took out of the overhead bin, but I forgot to upload them last night, so I will post them a little later.

Thanks again for all of the thoughtful advice and encouragement!

CarrieSue