Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Beautiful , Colorado
Floorplan/Model Help

Hi Everyone-

I grew up traveling in an Airstream, and now the time has come to purchase one of my own. I've been looking on and off for years, but am wondering if some of you more knowledgeable individuals can help me a little in my search.

I would prefer an older model (the older, the better), but am looking for a fairly modern floorplan. I'm looking for a model hopefull under 20', but with a layout similar to this Bambi:
2000 Airstream Bambi 19' - *NEW JERSEY* - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

We're looking for something more vintage, but with some separation between the bed and the toilet/shower. We'd prefer a layout where if there is another person or two staying with us for a night, that they don't have to walk through us sleeping to access the toilet. I really enjoy the mid-galley and some sort of small sitting area...pretty much this exact same layout.

Is anyone aware of an older model with this layout, or is our best bet to try and find one in need of restoration and construct it ourselves?

Thanks for any help you could offer!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Hi,

Check out the following link:

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...d62ecbae8c.pdf

This is from Airstream.com. You can pull up trailer layouts from back in the dark ages, and peruse them all you want. It looks like a '69 21' Globetrotter or 18' Caravel has what you are looking for. I think that Globetrotter layout was available in the early 70's as well.

A word of caution--coming from one who has been there (is there, actually). If you buy a 40 year old trailer, even if the previous owner advertises that it is in great shape, has been "fixed-up," etc., there will inevitably be a lot of work to be done before you can safely take it down the road. I've been working on mine for a year and a half now. Hope to go camping in the next six months...

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by muskypicker View Post
...We'd prefer a layout where if there is another person or two staying with us for a night, that they don't have to walk through us sleeping to access the toilet. I really enjoy the mid-galley and some sort of small sitting area...pretty much this exact same layout.
Absoultely right, but it's not going to happen in anything shorter than a 27' Overlander, and I haven't ever seen one of those with a mid-bath. You usually find mid-baths in Ambassadors (28') and Sovereigns (31').

Also, to avoid a "wet bath," where the toilet is in the shower, you need at least a 21' Globetrotter, but you can't find them. What are available (now and then) are 23' Safaris from the 70s. The additional good thing about a 70s Safari is that it has two axles, which I like because they take pot holes better. A single tire takes all the force of the bump, which makes me cringe. Fully loaded a Safari is approximately 4,100 lbs, so it's towable by almost anything.

Take a look at 70s floorplans here.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Beautiful , Colorado
Thank you both so much; please keep the suggestions coming!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It is true that the smaller vintage trailers are hard to find, but you will stumble over them from time to time if you are patient. I have a Globetrotter, and during the ~24 months I spent looking for "the one," I came across three that were within an easy drive. Of those three, only one had the layout you are looking for, so I would agree, that your specific request of age and size of trailer, plus layout will be a bit of a needle in the haystack.

If you have any thoughts of taking an older trailer with a different layout and rearranging the interior, be warned that this is a massive undertaking, as plumbing will have to be moved, vents and panels for appliances will have to be rearranged, etc. You are basically talking about a complete rebuild.

Good luck!