Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
McGraw , New York
Floored

Greetings,
We just brought home our 3rd and only Airstream.

We are currently repairing the floor in our 62 Globetrotter.
So what is the best way to remove the old asbestos floor tile with the black gooey ick stuck to the plywood?

Thanks
Steve

Old 05-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Are you sure it's asbestos? Cuz if it is, you need full haz-mat protection, and you can't just throw it in the garbage. Sounds like a job for a professional abatement team that can also dispose of it properly. Last thing you want to do is cut it up with a saw, get asbestos fibers in the air and then breath them in.

Step 1 would be to have it tested is you think it's asbestos. They are typically 9 x 9 floor tiles. If you have 12 x 12 floor tiles, it's probably not asbestos.

Chris

Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John316 View Post
Greetings,
We just brought home our 3rd and only Airstream.

We are currently repairing the floor in our 62 Globetrotter.
So what is the best way to remove the old asbestos floor tile with the black gooey ick stuck to the plywood?

Thanks
Steve
As your floor is likely rotted around portions of the perimeter, you'll probably want to replace the subfloor. It's much easier to leave the tiles in place when replacing the floor. We've done many floor replacements & fighting with old tiles is very time consuming, not to mention the hazardous issues associated with it.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Sooooo carefully cut the floor wearing a respirator and put the tiles in a black trash bag. Check on line for an authorized waste site. Not sure of the laws governing the disposal but I am sure that new York has disposal sites that you can use there is not to many states that have restrictive laws for things like unknown material form airstreams. Your safety is most important so protect your lungs and get it out of there ther is material in the tile and mastic so bye bye floor! Full suit would be necessary if you are cutting through the tile and it just keeps the dust off your clothes and thus out of your house.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If the fibers stay encapsulated in the tiles then no danger. If you break one and no particulates come off then no danger. The pros use water mist to encapsulate the dust. Wetting the tile before removal might help if you see dust coming off a tile when it is broken. Wear protective gear and a respirator to do this test. A strong flashlight would be good to shine on the area of breakage to see any particulates. Anyone over 30 has been exposed to asbestos but no use in getting more exposure. If you smoke your risk of lung cancer goes way up. If you don't smoke the risk is much less. I would not use a cutter but maybe a flat nose shovel. You don't want to produce particulates. A saw of some sort will do that.

Perry
Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
McGraw , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
As your floor is likely rotted around portions of the perimeter, you'll probably want to replace the subfloor. It's much easier to leave the tiles in place when replacing the floor. We've done many floor replacements & fighting with old tiles is very time consuming, not to mention the hazardous issues associated with it.
Thanks,
Colin
I do have rot, under the water heater, by the front door, under the black tank,
another small spot as well.
It seams I could put pieces in and not replace the whole floor.
I think the tile are some type of vinyl stuck to a tar paper like stuff that is tough to remove.

What about removing paint from an interior?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John316 View Post
I do have rot, under the water heater, by the front door, under the black tank,
another small spot as well.
It seams I could put pieces in and not replace the whole floor.
I think the tile are some type of vinyl stuck to a tar paper like stuff that is tough to remove.

What about removing paint from an interior?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
You can certainly install sections of subfloor, however you have to remember that the floor goes under the "C" channel in the wall, & the C channel, floor & outriggers are through bolted, so you must have access below the floor (ie in the bellypan cavity) in order to install fasteners correctly. Reinstalling bellypan sections around the perimeter of your era of trailer is not easy, especially if you want it to look good. You might want to check out Reinergirl's thread Moonraker. We did the rotisserie work on the floor/chassis/ bellypan & it's well documented over this past winter.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
In my '58, I had the tile & black stuff tested for asbestos and results came back negative. They were very surprised and even told me with the size of the tiles and year they were installed it was highly unlikely they wouldn't find asbestos. But I still wore protective mask while scraping.