Old 11-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Talking First Week as Full-Timers

My husband Tom and I just completed our first week full-time in our Airstream 30 ft Classic. Tom has also posted here (tvketchum)
We had not planned to start fulltiming until next year, but found the perfect trailer and couldn't wait. We put our house on the market, had a buyer in 9 nine days, so have been busy downsizing and deciding what to move to the trailer! We just finished our first full week staying in her (she doesn't have a name yet!)
We currently live and work in Indianapolis-until June 2015- then we plan to be Airstream nomads. Our first big trip is the week of Thanksgiving, at Long Key State Park in Florida! Lovely sites right on the beach!

I have started a blog to document our transition and travels:
Long Trailer, Long Travels ( Long Trailer, Long Trails Log In ) I'm a little new at blogging, but hope to document many of the issues that newbies encounter, plus share some our adventures. Still so excited!

Vicki Ketchum
WBCCI 5809
2008 30 ft Classic
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery;
Today is a Gift from God; That's why they call it the Present.
VicKetchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member
How exciting for you and Tom!

Looking forward to reading about it! Unfortunately, the link takes me to the log in page.. Can't see your blog.

samyjam14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Happy for you!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
Vicki - So NEAT to see you here on AIR. As you probably know, Tom and I go "way back" to BHS Band Days. Linda and I are thrilled to see your adventures, and look forward to subscribing to your blog. Our AS is the same layout as yours except a few years older. We're always on the go somewhere. Off to the Outer Banks this morning. Love it that your full-timing! I know you can't come down to the Canopener this year, but be sure to put it on your calendar for next year. It's the most enjoyable rally we attend, ever. Happy Silver.
Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
In my very early days here on the forums a discussion started on "how do I keep the toilet paper from unwinding onto the floor when towing." Suggestions poured in getting more elaborate and expensive all the time. Inland Andy of course said get your running gear balanced - and others advocated covered rollers, removal of the roll, and storage in the cabinet, substitution of kleenex (bad idea - it doesn't break up as easily), etc.

Finally a veteran posted. Take the roll between your hands and squash it flat, then open it up just enough to fit over the roller.

a "d-Oh" moment for all of us.

HAVE FUN on your adventure and DON'T hesitate to ask questions... sometimes new or better answers are found for old problems. We all enjoy having graduated from green rookies to veteran campers.

Here's a stupid newbie mistake - PREVOST moho - new owners - Just left a local campground I patronize. As I was going through our campground yesterday I saw 2 plumbers with over 200 feet of sewer snakes trying to get one of the main lines free. The departed campers who saw a commercial that said Clorox clean wipes were flushable believed it wouldn't hurt in a campground. I just hope their black tank costs as much to clear out as the sewer line will! If it doesn't come off of a toilet paper roll marked "safe for septic systems" or ORIGINATE inside your body... don't flush it! Trash it or burn it.

Happy trails. Head south it's getting cold out there!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Northern Illinois , Illinois

Welcome to the forum and the world of Airstreams.

You will love it. Winters can be cold in Indy so you may want to look at the sub forum on winter living

We are also planning on fulltiming; starting in 2017.

Your link to your blog above brings a reader to your blog login page. The shortened link address Long Trailer, Long Trails | Blog of our Airstream travels get one to your blog.

Exciting beginnings.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks Dave
Not only are we new to Airstream fulltiming, I am new to blogging:
I hope this works: Long Trailer, Long Trails | Blog of our Airstream travels

Vicki Ketchum
WBCCI 5809
2008 30 ft Classic
Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery;
Today is a Gift from God; That's why they call it the Present.
VicKetchum is offline   Reply With Quote