Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
First timer from MN -- excited to be here, but w/ a curmudgeon at home

Hello!
I've just purchased a perfect, gutted, 1984 29' Sovereign from a friend. I'm working on a place to park her while I work on her innards, and I think I have found a place at a friend's house, about an hour from where I live. This dear woman's husband is going to help me tow her to their place (he is a boat dealer and going to ask his boss if he can borrow the work truck for the journey.)

He said to his wife when she asked him: "I don't think you realize how *$%-ing long 29 feet is..."

I know if I can get her settled in a nice spot for the winter, I can take my time to work on her and find a decent used vehicle for towing next spring or summer.

Here's the deal -- my boyfriend (of almost 4 years) thinks I've absolutely LOST my mind and he's judging me quite a bit for this decision, financially. I absolutely know that I'll be investing quite a bit and that this is probably not the most frugal hobby I could have picked, BUT I have a great response:

1. I work incredibly hard (50+ hours/per week)
2. I am using my OWN money (he won't put me on the deed to our place and I already spend a lot on that house)
3. I can't handle Minnesota winters much longer, so unless he wants me to leave the state altogether, this baby will eventually be parked somewhere WARM between November and April for getaways
4. It's like having your own "up-north-cabin" on wheels
5. Happiness is worth it
6. Did I mention that I work HARD and that I'm using my OWN money?

So . . . I guess I just wanted to say all that because I am really excited and I've got a "Douggie-downer" at home. I'm looking forward to connecting with others who share this passion -- I've been dreaming about having an Airstream for a winter getaway for a LONG time.

Thanks for being here for me, everybody -- It's going to be interesting!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
No matter what you encounter, keep the vision in your mind of what it will look like and where you will be with it. Doubting yourself is not an option. You can figure this out.

The money and work will of course be more than you anticipate so prepare and plan for it.

Figure out the basic principles of the Airstream's systems and how things are supposed to work before you try to fix them.

Resist doing cosmetic or interior work until the structural , road gear and dry-in is sound. Then tackle electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems.

Buy proper, quality tools when you need them. Do everything right, with the right materials. Cutting corners always comes back to bite you. If you are not sure of the right way to do it ask questions and post lots of pictures. (btw where are the pictures of her? )

Dreamers always get told we are crazy - that, has always provided me extra motivation!

When you are through, you'll have gained what is invaluable in life - plus a great Airstream

ps Jennie... tell the boyfriend he won't know what he's got til its gone

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . and Welcome to our cozy (mostly) and pleasant (mostly) community. This is the place for information, questions, ideas and all things Airstream. Sounds like your journey will be interesting , at the very least. Regards, Craig
Old 08-22-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
brooklyn park , Minnesota
new visionary

I was forced into this airstream thing by my S.O. and now I know more about a/s than she does! Do not let anything keep you from doing this project! this is not just an instant cabin, it is "snowstorm, tornado comin power is out again" backup living space we all need in this state of 40 below and 100* above zero. And we use it to get out of here as needed!! 18 yrs in an earthbound spaceship...........joe in minnesnowda
Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie456 View Post
Here's the deal -- my boyfriend (of almost 4 years) thinks I've absolutely LOST my mind and he's judging me quite a bit for this decision, financially.
People used to say that I lost my mind after I bought my Airstream, too, so I just told them, "I haven't lost my mind. I know EXACTLY where my mind is… It's parked right outside, in my Airstream."

Don't you think it's weird for someone to say you're crazy for picking up a hobby that will help keep you sane?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Welcome and you sound motivated so just keep your eye on the prize and you can accomplish anything! As for his and her money well my baby told me that what is hers is hers what is mine is hers and what is ours is hers any questions? I said no and have been happy every since! Take lots of pictures and enjoy the project you will find yourself excited about packages arriving from vintage trailer supply!
Cliff
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Sounds like your mind is set...nothing can stop you! Go fer it!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Thanks to you all! Soon, I will be arranging a tow from my friend's place to her winter home. I found an affordable winter storage space where I'll be able to get to know her intimately this winter.

I think she already has a name, but I'm gonna let it percolate for a bit.

I am already at home in this community.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie456 View Post
Thanks to you all! Soon, I will be arranging a tow from my friend's place to her winter home. I found an affordable winter storage space where I'll be able to get to know her intimately this winter.

I think she already has a name, but I'm gonna let it percolate for a bit.

I am already at home in this community.
I'm a newbie here and still don't own an AS. But whenever I felt deeply about something, it's usually turned out right. Stay the course and the doubters will come around.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Then I guess and that translates to hoping that some more pictures will follow? Maybe please (life is interesting when you are an aluminum voyer) plus you should stress your camera by taking pictures of everything before and after for you reference and some for posting. I missed taking just one picture and it took 3weeks to find the info that I needed. Oh yes my babe is also a Jeannie!

Cliff

Yes I said that! Or did I?
Old 08-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome Jeanie! One advantage of living here is you have several other Streamers in the area that are willing to swing by and help or visit. Including us of course... And you have other trailers close by you can go look at for ideas.

Take lots of pictures as you tear things apart. They do become invaluable.

Good luck on your venture. It's well worth it!

Chris
Old 08-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome aboard! Keep us posted!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:21 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussel , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM66caravel View Post
As for his and her money well my baby told me that what is hers is hers what is mine is hers and what is ours is hers any questions? I said no and have been happy every since!
Cliff
Well said, Cliff. Following that philosophy has eliminated all of my marital financial problems.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
And have your idiot BF read our thread "Little Girl Refurb" in the 1972 section. It gives motivation to read and see what others have done and are doing. We are close to you so if you want to show him a redone AS, PM us and come on up!

Kay