Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And since I can't get off the topic of what I'd do first, I'd also recommend these:

Once in the interior the first concern is the reefer. If it checks out good (use Dinosaur boards if needed) the unit still needs to come out. Their weight has a way of loosening cabinetry and there is no knowing what a PO may have done or not done without removal. The main thing here is checking for solidity of attachment and sealing up air leaks to trailer interior. As well, the installation of a ventilation boost fan kit with external switch as long you're in there.

As the furnace is often under it or next to the reefer, good to do it as well. The latest versions have stainless fire boxes, the older ones were of steel and can develop pinhole leaks not visible that nonetheless put CO in the trailer interior.

The water heater is usually easy, in an overall sense. I recommend gas/electric models. Install a reignite kit and a winterization bypass.

The stove/oven often needs nothing but a good cleaning and checking for proper operation. IMO, even if you install a microwave/convection combo, keep your oven.

The diagnostic tools for these appliances, and the familiarity of their use (what readings mean based on experience) is what I'm willing to pay a GOOD RV tech to use. Ask around for a good one. It's not like car mechanics as to the number of them and their depth of training. LEWSTER here on AIR is an example. (Always check his posts on a subject). Too many techs aren't worth having show up. I prefer this over using dealerships.

Plumbing will need to be converted to PEX.

As an overall, water is the big picture for a trailer. Leaks from exterior, and disasters from burst interior plumbing. Therefore I consider "water" the most important thing.

But, in truth, propane is the thing that without it we wouldn't have an RV. That liquid energy heats us, the water and preserves and cooks food. One can even install a nicely nostalgic propane light fixture. Thus it is in its way first, once the genuine threat of water control is addressed.

Think and address interior items as systems. Not components once past major appliances.

The order of things as I see it is above: appliance operation (remove, repair and/or replace). Plumbing supply lines replaced, and drains checked (or replaced later with new fixtures).

Expert propane inspection. Then onto electrical. It's not so important, it is an optional system except for the furnace fan. Allow that to sink in. Especially as it can be irritating to work upon. And doesn't keep me from going camping.

Finally, if you anticipate using an electric space heater as you work on and later camp with, allow me to recommend the DYSON Hot/Cool unit. A thread on this minor appliance worth reading on AIR. You can use it year round (although never a furnace substitute below freezing as that warms all tanks). That brand also has best vacuums, storage of same the problem. The brand really is worth paying for on these items. A small wet/dry shop vac in the mean time.

Guess I felt you're here for the long haul, and hope it is so.

Use Google as your search engine, the one here is inconsistent. I enter "airforums" then the search item then "trailer". I use a big folder on the laptop with many sub folders arranged first by Exterior or Interior then onto Systems, then onto specific appliances. Cosmetics have their own folders, be it window coverings, etc. Plenty of depth around here. Literally no end of reading. And I've tried. It's like going to the end of the Internet. Searches will turn up old threads that, if revived, alert others who have posted that it is reopened. And good advice or experience is offered. Plenty there are who may no longer post on a regular basis, but who may be pleased to show up and reply.

Simply starting a new thread due to a question is the last thing. But if you do, link those old threads. It's a service to others also interested in the topic, and it draws on the knowledge base. Those are the best threads, and they enjoy the best responses.

The restoration threads are the hidden gems if this site. Highly recommended. My favorite is Steve Bryant's work on his '34 as I am not deep in a lot of Airstream-specific issues. Great similarities in our trailer brands, but some issues are not. AEROWOOD for the start on that.

Highly important to save info found in an organized fashion. And have a good printer for when the job is at hand. Put sheets in protectors, and keep in binders after work done. Pics also worthwhile for your records. And a good way to ask questions. Thus the recommendation of LED work lights on stands. Direct and indirect lighting.

Obviously, you needn't do anything in any way, shape or form I've suggested. Your Trailer and Your Money, after all. Your Time. But I have read one helluva lot of threads here and elsewhere the past eight years. Probably a few hours daily. Thus is all the above filtered.

Okay, I'm crying uncle.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
DAMN S.M.
you are awesome.
Dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:26 AM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First timer from MN -- excited to be here, but w/ a curmudgeon at home

Well, third generation and more than a half century of constant interest.

Saw the 48 this way before graduating high school.
Born and raised.

Doesn't mean I haven't learned the hard way or tried to cheap out and wound up having to do things twice which is far more expensive. Have had my mind changed for me more than once.

The Net makes the curve much easier. Books and periodicals are basic, but notcnearly so many details or images can be conveyed that way.

Oh, and in doing searches on Google versus directly in a subforum can bring up posts in unrelated threads (usually a resto thread); save those posts immediately. Two old guys discussing details on an installation, etc, not to found discussed elsewhere.

And, thx.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Gratitude.

Slow Mover,
I am going to try and express my extreme gratitude for your unbelievable generosity of knowledge, experience, and spirit. I fear words will fail me, so instead I'm going to heed your advice, do lots of reading, and take my sweet time.
I am indeed in this for the long haul. Before you replied, I was feeling a bit lost, attempting to tackle that which felt manageable (paint!), but I knew I'd need to do some 'serious' work before long. You've provided me with a priceless roadmap for this long journey, and I'm so, so grateful.
I am also lucky to have purchased her from friends, so I know some of what they've already done (re-welded the base frame, sealed windows and doors), and these guys are available for questions as they arise.
I read ALL about the wheel conversion last night
Eventually I want to be a full-timer. I want to make that happen in the next five years.
Again, thanks -- I'll keep you posted.
jennie456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Jennie,
Thanks for sharing the adventure. I look forward to following your progress.
Richard
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Jennie456 from MN. Nice to meet you. I'm an Airstream nut from Minnesota. I have an 86 Airstream, very similar to yours. Ours has been in the family since new. And I've done several repairs and upgrades since we got it in 05. I enjoy working on the thing. And we both enjoy traveling with it in our retirement. We've been to Galveston, Oregon coast, and Acadia NP in Maine so far.

I have noticed those who work hard generally do better. Keep working hard, as this Airstream is going to suck up a lot of your disposable income until you get it finished. I've got $13k in my old Trade Wind, and I still have some woodwork to do. I have learned on these forums that those who have cabinet making skills finish off their trailers quite nicely. I'm more of a mechanic type and never learned cabinet making. I have a hard time making a shipping crate!

Actually, your trailer is new enough that you might be able to find some used Airstream cabinets somewhere. My 86 has those fancy hickory cabinets from the factory and they are quite nice, and quite durable. I'll bet there are "Airstream interiors" for sale cheap every now and then when someone is building a food vendor trailer or mobile hair salon out of one.

These old Airstreams last a long time, tow great, and are comfortable travel trailers. You will enjoy getting yours travel ready again.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
This thread is too cool not to follow. Jennie, I wish you all the luck in the world on this journey.

Mike and Anita
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
jennie456, you're more than welcome. Every once in a while one gets a spur to act (write) and, voila, here we are.

So I'll write one more long post on this thread. Implicit in my comments should be the idea that if this trailer is not the right one, then the tools, the gear and the preparation will apply to any. Organizing the minds energy is the thing. Well harnessed to the task.

Organization is in some ways the hardest thing to achieve. With an emphasis on it, though, I find that all the money spent seems to make more sense when I look at toolboxes (system organizers) and attendant paperwork (and electronic records) all of which show manifestation.

A camera is a good tool for this reason, alone. Something to share with others, not just a way to ask questions with an image in hand. A review of work. Without satisfaction energy lags. Thus, proof of life.

The "cost" of my labor, if you will, is in making these mental & physical divisions. To be both the boss and the employee. I want my employees to have the tools and supplies they need, thus I need to change hats and this, I feel, is where many folks become overwhelmed. The energy to do both of these things is real. Can't use it all up on one side or the other. Most shortchange the boss role to be the busy bee worker. Extend the mindless as long as possible.

I'd say that daily progress is more to the point, and that this needs a defined beginning and end: set up, do the work, take down. Set an alarm to start take down. Can't leave the worksite littered. Or files opened and prone to accidental erasure. Have a definite end to the day, no matter whether boss or employee hat in place.

Frozen dinners or pizza delivery isn't always the thing. I want to know before I start when I'll stop. Over time this unconsciously causes me to use my work time better. And that the natural end of the day isn't always take a shower, eat junk and fall into bed. That weakens us spiritually. A nice dinner and time to sit outside may be the thing, instead.

So it seems like it's 1.5-2 jobs to do it all. Yes, just find the balance that works. Don't be too rigid, but have boundaries that work based on how you feel about the overall job, not just the one in front of you. When it's frustrating, stop and do something else. Change hats the rest of the day if need be. Most problems are between our ears. And don't leave the boss jobs to once a month, either.

An employee can immerse himself fully in the job at hand. No cares in the world outside it. Makes notes for the boss, maybe. Is otherwise taking care to not make expensive mistakes and in being thorough. (The best employee knows when to stop on a job piece. That takes time to learn).

Next day the boss shows up, cleans tools and reorganizes the workspace. Then does some research. Looks to combine a buying trip for several jobs if they are current with each other. Crunches numbers, changes the parts spec to stay in a budget, etc.

Next day, the employee . . (And so forth).

There should be a division between these jobs. I know we all share the experience of feeling differently when we are dressed up for an occasion. I've noted in this work when I head out in old ruined employee clothes to do quite a bit of spending (not just a parts run) that it would be more appropriate were I to show that different side of myself. Results are better when I do so. The reactions of others, not just mine, etc.

My ex got me to watch a movie with her called Legally Blonde and it cracked me up that not only did Reese Witherspoons character take this dress-for-the-occasion bit out to a far point, but that it worked for her character and was a solid part of the movies humor. RW really pulled it off.

I know that this sounds silly. But I do feel that an outward change should accompany the inward change. Experiment. Be silly, if only to yourself. You may find that farmers overalls are great to work in. But hardly the thing for anything else. Once we put on the hat, then, a familiar and increasingly comfortable day spreads out before us. We know what we are about. This is freedom, as I see it. It's relaxing. I am doing one thing, not every thing.

Now, as to specific employee skills: As another contributor noted above, we most of us find one way of doing things closer to our present level of comfort. I am no carpenter either. I cannot afford to mindlessly remove the bathroom to get at the plumbing for I am not good at repairing my mistakes. It takes me quite a while to disassemble, sometimes. And I drop fasteners in little zip lock with a note telling me where they go. I'm far more comfortable as a mechanic where the mind of the designer and function of the machine are evident at every step. My "mind" isn't needed. Not for me the spatial relationships of something created from a few pieces of wood. I hardly know where to start.

But a trailer needs the technical skills (electrician, plumber, mechanic) as well as the more subtle design challenge of the interior to make it a reality. One can look at many gorgeous renovations (different from restorations) in admiration.

But there are almost invariably owner compromises made versus the work of the factory. Ergonomic inconsistencies and loss of storage chief among them. The folks who oversee this at the OEMs have their hands full. They are full time occupations. The range of problems to solve in a travel trailer magnify every mistake made. In short, I don't believe I've seen but one example where the owner improved over the factory. And his changes were so subtle as to almost not be noticed. But the effect was impressive. Raise this just a little. Make that cabinet a tiny bit more shallow. And suddenly the comfort of ones arm while seated, and the improved view from the window, raised the experience to a higher level. It went from being comfortable to being near perfect.

That's a long way away from where you are. And you needn't concern yourself with it. Maybe not for years, if ever.

So it isn't fair to call the employee mindless and purely physical any more than it is to say that the boss role is purely cerebral. The impressions and notes by each are the facts on the ground, and each have their aesthetic side.

As to the roles of the boss, one must plan time away from the job efficiently, not just keep track of finances. Have a trip plan to stop several places that day without wasting time behind the wheel, for example. Go to the farthest point, avoid left turns, and keep the distance short on time. (Mapquest can handle route order; a giant loop out and back). Mindlessness here takes away mental energy and spends it in traffic frustration. Forgets the apt question at a supply house. Doesn't "see" something that later would have proved valuable. Etc.

We can keep going on this division of labor. But it's really just a pair of catch alls. The biggest pair of toolboxes or storage organizers.

Now,

Nationally, there are stripped and gutted trailers for sale all the time. Ruined, IMO, if it's one of the rare examples of my brand. An employee reveling in mindlessness. No boss. Then it sits a long while, and then it gets sold. It's "overwhelm " every time. A pinball machine flashing "tilt". No surprise once we've seen it a few times.

No surprise, as the executive function is different from the chiefly physical one. And was ignored. Or not sufficiently developed. Not able to accommodate changes to the original ideas about the thing. And they will have to change. No one to rein in the horses before they blew out.

Both roles will become developed as you go along. Start with the road going concerns as then one needn't overly stress about traffic when moving the trailer to a service shop or another storage location. Do the exterior things to keep it weathertight and to keep it from further deteriorating. Those two done one can start camping. Air mattress, ice chest, etc. whether or not one does it

This will mark the end of the beginning. A goal in time, resources and is concrete.

It is certain that this is the period when one answers whether or not this trailer is worth continuance of work. It may not be. If so, it should be easier to advertise and sell due to the range of jobs done (even if they are not finished). I'd want to improve the appearance of the exterior to heighten buyer emotion if I thought this a possibility. So add that to the list. An extremely careful exterior cleaning. And rental of an ozone generator to eliminate interior smells.

"Looks good"and no funny smells is a big deal with an old trailer to sell. Alloy wheels with newish tires another.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Was not going to offer the life advise but I am by no means an adviser so that's good but I did think that he would be history before long as it just did not seem like he was your friend! You know the can't bail you out because they are sharing the same cell all for one type of friend! Jeannie is my best friend and she gets me in more then we can sometimes get out of but what a blast! So post pictures ask questions and vent when you feel the need and believe me we all understand and will listen! Now take some damn pictures please! Inside would be nice!
Cliff