Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

1978 29' Ambassador
Toronto , Ontario
First-Timer - 78 Ambassador

Hi! We are a 40-and-under family with a 14-month-old boy and are very excited owners of a "new" 1978 Airstream Ambassador! Spring really feels as if it has sprung and we find ourselves thinking about all things trailer....where to go for our maiden voyage, how to decorate and really make it our own, does everything really work and how well, how cool it's going to be to camp in style and comfort, etc. So much to think about....and seeing as we have never owned, or even spent time in a trailer before I am sure that there are a million things that we haven't even thought of yet. That's part of the adventure, I guess. Bring it on!

Our initial plan was to buy a total fixer-upper. We had a friend who was selling his 1972 Airstream for a very reasonable price and all seemed great until we actually took a look at it. Too much work!!! It was disheartening to say the least. (Especially now that we have the wee one...am not even sure when we could have got it onto the road.) And not that we are afraid of a little work, either, we just felt like spending more time enjoying the trailer rather than working on it.

We do plan on refurbishing and replacing things here and there, as we go. (Will have to see what comes up when we actually get out in it!) First off is replacing the foam in those Gauchos and ripping out the off-white carpet. I can totally deal with everything else right now but these two things must go! (I have a bit of thing about carpet and old foam.) Over all, everything seems in pretty good shape. Can't wait to get her onto the road, and plan on starting a blog soon detailing what we are doing and how we are doing it. And am also looking forward to checking out all of the great information here on this site for tips and ideas!

Thanks everybody!
Heather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5905.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	97798  
*Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Heather! Your Airstream looks great, and the carpet and foam replacement should be manageable and still allow you to get out soon and enjoy camping! Enjoy your new adventure.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Congratulations on the new trailer and welcome to the Forums, Heather. Your story sounds similar to mine-- I'd never owned or even been inside a travel trailer before, but right after our first child was born a couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to raise her to enjoy camping and traveling. It never even occurred to me to buy a white box, the only trailer I was interested in was the shiny silver one.

I bought one that had some pretty major floor issues (that I knew about ahead of time) so I spent many months out of the first year doing some major renovation work, but that's okay because I love these types of projects. I still used the trailer throughout the process, and now I am taking a break to enjoy it for a year or two before I begin tearing apart the front half to perform a floor replacement up there.

Anyway, definitely start a blog to chronicle your adventures and share them with all of us. If you're interested, you can read mine which is linked below in my signature, called Austin Aluminitus. It has mostly been a renovation blog, but it's finally a bit more of a travel blog too.

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Heather,

You and I are alike. The foam cushions are in the dump along with the old carpet. I tried to clean the curtains and that did not work. At this point everything fabric and foam are out of our trailer. My husband and I have just finish laying the new wood looking
vinyl from Home Depot. Fabric for the curtains are purchased. I hope to have them finished in the next two weeks. [I always give myself more time than I really want...live always gets in the way smile.]. The complete scrubbing ceiling, walls, inside and out of cupboards etc. is one the list as well over the next two weeks.

It sounds like you are on a great journey! Judy
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congrats *Redbird!

She sure looks good in the photo.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
My husband just reminded me - When we pulled the rug the wood floor was find but...the old wood had a smell. Here is the solution we used. We purchased "Bin". It is an odor barrier sealer substance. It has worked great. We put two coats down before the flooring. Thought you would want to consider it.

Again the process is worth the reward - traveling in it! Judy
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Heather,
We have the same year Ambassador although we have twin beds. Great trailer for a family...you will love it.
Tom and Nan
Old 03-10-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

1978 29' Ambassador
Toronto , Ontario
Thanks for the warm welcome! (And so quick!) Am having a good time checking out flooring options right now. Many possibilities...maybe too many. I don't know about everyone else but the more choices I have the longer/harder the decision is to make! Marmoleum? Cork? Sheet? Plank? Tile? Colour? Oh my! Add to that the inevitable differences of opinion between me and the hubby...you get the idea! HaHa! Could take a while. In the meantime, will enjoy soaking up all of the great info I'm finding here. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
*Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hello and welcome to Airforums.com, Heather! Don't get too enraptured with the warm weather we've had this week, they are calling for more snow soon.

It's often said the the first thing to look out for with a new-to-you trailer is leaks. Leaks will make your life miserable if you don't catch them before they do harm, so watch your trailer carefully for the first while...

But yes, there should be just enough time for you to re-foam the couch and get new coverings on the floor.

One flooring that looked interesting to us is a brand that Home Deopt sells, but I cna't find the name of it on their site. It looks like laminate flooring, but it's very thin, and instead of clicking together it has peel and stick edges. Seems very durable, and quite low-priced.

The flooring in an Airstream should float, so that it's not stressed by the normal flexing that happens when it's being towed, and this covering does just that.

It's also light-weight (also good in your trailer) and extremely easy to install, since it can be cut with a sharp knife so you don't spend a lot of time sawing.

Anyways, your new trailer looks gorgeous and in good shape, so keep us up on your progress with your changes and additions!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Congratulations on your new "baby". Have safe travels, and many great Airstream adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote