Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Nothing else like it!

STOP! Turn back, give it up, don't do this. Once you start you'll be incurably hooked. Great life plans will morph. Goals will dissolve. Life, as you know it, will end.

It's not too late for you and Randy. You can still walk away from all this. Spend your money on a new Ferrari -- it will probably be cheaper.

Okay, just kidding -- there is nothing in the world we love more than traveling with, or sitting or sleeping in during a big rain, our Airstream trailer. Whatta gas!

Take it slow, learn it, enjoy it, love it.

Very best of luck,
Jim

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
hey 3b, you're right across the lake from us (we're in mid-city NOLA)...tried to view your photos..where are they?...pm me if necessary, I would like to see them..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...re: Goo Gone...might remove some of the clearcoat as it is very strong stuff made for removing graffiti etc.. I would try good old mineral spirits first..if that doesn't work...hmmm..MEK? its pretty harsh too (its like acetone that doesnt dry as fast) so test on a small inconspicuous spot first.. gaffer's tape is better than duct but it too will leave residue if left on too long..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Tom, Jim, and Rick, thanks for your notes and the videos. Lots to learn about hitching up, heh? Rick, I'm nearly photo-transfer illiterate, so I haven't quite figured out how to upload the pics. Will try in a bit and see if I'm successful. We're originally from the southshore, but have been across the pond for 20 years now. Looking forward to getting to know our fellow local "Streamers"!
3blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
ditto

I hope to soon join the ranks of 1st time towing an Airstream... Thanks for posting this thread :-) Rae

Love this, below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
STOP! Turn back, give it up, don't do this. Once you start you'll be incurably hooked. Great life plans will morph. Goals will dissolve. Life, as you know it, will end.

It's not too late for you and Randy. You can still walk away from all this. Spend your money on a new Ferrari -- it will probably be cheaper.

Okay, just kidding -- there is nothing in the world we love more than traveling with, or sitting or sleeping in during a big rain, our Airstream trailer. Whatta gas!

Take it slow, learn it, enjoy it, love it.

Very best of luck,
Jim

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Journeying to pick up the new silver baby!

Hey Rae, I hope you soon find your AS trailer so you can be a newbie like myself. Going to pick up the baby next week down in Florida, but on the east side! Am nervous about towing her back the 800 miles, but both friends and hubby will be there to help with the hook-up! Hope all goes well and is uneventful insofar as travel issues are concerned.

Have a blessed Easter everyone. Will be in touch next week with, no doubt, many more questions! Sandy
Old 04-03-2010, 11:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
I'm on the east side!! Saint Augustine-- about an hour north of Daytona, an hour south of Jacksonville... When are you going by? I will be leaving thursday for a few days, but I'd love to meet you for lunch or something if it works out :-)

Good luck with the towing-picking up your new baby!! Yay!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 04-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Oh nooo...I inserted my foot again!

Well Rae, I saw from your photos that you're not a newbie...love your vintage AS pics! Wish I could meet you, but have to get down to Stuart for get-together with friends tomorrow evening. Will be heading out asap in the a.m. with my teenagerfor the 12-13 hour drive! Thanks so much for the offer, though. Perhaps I'll have another chance, as we usually go visit friends in south Florida 2-3 times yearly.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
--take foot out-- I thought I had a trailer, but I gave up after 4 months of fighting with the dealer to get me a real title.. so really I still am "new", LOL!
I just have more of an education now ;-P

I'm sure we'll meet someday!

Safe travels.
Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

Old 04-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
MTsafari is right The Long Long Trailer is a hoot I just watched it, but don't get scared off ,the airstream tows like a dream and it'll be a breeze after the first 5 miles and 3 turns.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Finally home with the new addition!

Well, we finally made it home last week with the new addition...but not after having to drop 1600.00 on new tires, brakes, repacking, battery, and safety cable and box! Now that we've begun to really look around at the unit and pull the carpet out, we noticed a few areas of new floorboard. Hmmmm! So, unscrewed them to see what lay underneath and saw evidence of prior leaks and a small area of damage from road debris. There's a bit more to tell, but I want to take photos and upload them so I can attempt to ask intelligent questions. Keep waking up in the middle of the night thinking about the work ahead and how this is just the beginning of our Airstream Adventure! Okay, go ahead and laugh..., I know that many of you have been through so much with your own AS restorations and renovations and can totally relate. Will attempt to post pics later...have to get a new camera battery first. Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can give. Sandy
Old 04-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Congratulations on getting her home. At least you know that what you've put into it will be for the betterment of the overall experience! You can tow safely and comfortably and rest easily knowing you have good wheels and cables. All Airstreams leak. The different models seem to have their "areas" of issues, so other Sovereign owners could help there. Most leaks are somewhat logical. Bathrooms, windows, etc.
Definitely take lots of photos. Get some closeups too, and take a BIG DEEP breath :-) It'll all be fine. Unlike a wooden boat (which I'm very familiar with), leaks won't sink the "ship" :-)

I have a very very long road ahead with repairs and leaks, and I'm sure there will be many days of feeling discouraged, overwhelmed and worried. That's why we have this tremendous support group here on the "forums".

Looking forward to seeing the pix!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464