Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Hey Sandy,
I looked at the pix over at classified. Not alot to go by there. Appears attractively appointed. I was amazed at how close it was parked to the shipping container. Obviously no view of the street side of the trailer.
You got to learn how to post pix for this forum to be most useful.

Since the pull home will be from Florida it should at least be a level terrain drive across I-10. I don't know what shape that Interstate is in as far as rough riding, but that terrain is in your favor for 1st time towing. Couple of Bay Bridges and Maybe the Mississippi at Baton Rouge bridge. (I don't remember where Covington is).
On the way home pull into most every rest station and do a walk around.
Buy a GOOD air guage and check pressures each stop.
Buy a fresh roll of Duct Tape and tape every hatch door and even the entrance door. As well as anything that seems a bit loose to you.
If you have question about the Air Conditioner Shroud on roof, I would go to a Harbor Freight store or maybe Wal-mart or O'reillys auto parts etc, and buy a small cargo net. Throw and secure this over the shroud for trip home. (A replacement shroud costs around $300 for some models).
You might have to get creative with bungees, rope, etc to tie down the cargo net. ( I went under the trailer on mine and adjusted with one of those ratchet strap devices. Be sure to cushion the rachet as not to rub the trailer skin.
Repalcement water heater and battery doors are anyones guess but always very expensive, if you can find them. A replacement entry door is prohibitively expensive.
Tape is cheap compared to the consequences. When you get home remove all tape and tape residue pronto.
You should take or arrange for a ladder and you should read threads about how and where to walk (crawl) on the roof.

I guess you know that the thing with the "square hole" under your Tahoe is not a hitch. It is a reciever. The thing that slips into it is a "ball mount" or what Kevin above is calling a "drawbar".
The hitch is a thing that is mounted onto the trailer. The "hitch-head" is part of the trailer mounted hitch.
If you are using certain type of sway controls, your ball-mount will have to have two (sometimes 3) balls. the center large one and small one on either side or both sides of the larger one.
You may want to wait til you get to Florida to purchase your exact ball-mount/drawbar.Buy as good a brand and as heavy as you can afford. Maybe the seller's drawbar will work for you, but not necessarily.
Check each and every window (open it and then close and latch it) before you take off. Make sure to ask for the keys to the hatchs, and check to see if they work. But be darn sure you replace the hatch doors exactly right. It sometimes takes a while to figure those out, AND THEN TAPE THEM Once home and you investigate the hatch doors and how they attach and how well all the hinges,latches etc hardware is, of course you will travel without taping them shut.

Another thing to think about is where and how you will gas up on the way home. You do not want to forget and pull in to a snafu of a dilemma where you will have to do some "stunt backing" if you don't think about it first. On yall's way over keep an eye out for places to gas up on the way home. Loves & Flying W's etc truck plazas make it easy.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Gaffer's Tape when Hot Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Hey Sandy,

Buy a fresh roll of Duct Tape and tape every hatch door and even the entrance door. As well as anything that seems a bit loose to you.
If you have question about the Air Conditioner Shroud on roof, I would go to a Harbor Freight store or maybe Wal-mart or O'reillys auto parts etc, and buy a small cargo net. Throw and secure this over the shroud for trip home. (A replacement shroud costs around $300 for some models).
You might have to get creative with bungees, rope, etc to tie down the cargo net. ( I went under the trailer on mine and adjusted with one of those ratchet strap devices. Be sure to cushion the rachet as not to rub the trailer skin.
Repalcement water heater and battery doors are anyones guess but always very expensive, if you can find them. A replacement entry door is prohibitively expensive.
Tape is cheap compared to the consequences. When you get home remove all tape and tape residue pronto.
You should take or arrange for a ladder and you should read threads about how and where to walk (crawl) on the roof.
If it is Summer time or 90 + degrees out, and you are gonna be on road for a few days then don't use Duct Tape if you can at all avoid it. Try to find an alternative tape.
Some say Gaffers Tape is best all around. But might be harder to find.
[A gaffer is a jack of all trades on a movie or television set where they make many repairs and markings on stage with the Gaffers Tape. I think it comes up with less mess left].
The blue painter tape leaves the least, but I am not sure how strong it is to hold in the highway winds.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Distant Drummer, thanks so much for your advice. I was planning on taking a ladder to deal with the AC shroud. Am praying that there is not a leaking issue to deal with, but will try to get up there and cover it without denting the AS (at least I don't weigh too much)! Is GooGone safe to use on the AS skin in case of any leftover tape glue residue?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Tape

Distant Drummer, thanks so much for your advice. I was planning on taking a ladder to deal with the AC shroud. Am praying that there is not a leaking issue to deal with, but will try to get up there and cover it without denting the AS (at least I don't weigh too much)! Is GooGone safe to use on the AS skin in case of any leftover tape glue residue?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Not sure about Goo Gone. Try it in a hidden spot first I suppose. Do a search here for Goo Gone, might bring answers...?
The shroud probably does not have alot to do with leaks, but could have a little.
If the shroud is easily removable (some aren't) you can just take it off and carry it home in trailer. Take old sheets to wrap it. But by all means try to secure it. I have seen many of them on the sides of the Interstate, shattered. Good-by another $300 or so.

As for getting up on roof, weight (within reason) is no issue, the fact is it's all about where you step. Do not even get close to the end caps fore or aft. They dent easy and cost a fortune to fix. There are threads here I know about walking on the roof. (stay on the bows, (ribs). That is the trick.
Make sure your ladder will safely reach high enough to get up there too. Do not try to get there by standing on a short or medium high step ladder. Research how and where to place the ladder against the awning tube or a window drip cap, etc. Don't go up or come down over the ends, as I mentioned above...ever.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sandy,
If you have a few minutes to watch these videos on youtube they might help to add some understanding to the great explanation that HowieE gave.

YouTube - Weight Distribution Trouble Shoot and Repair - etrailer.com this is a Reese hitch.

YouTube - Weight Distribution Trailer Hitches Info - etrailer.com general info

YouTube - Draw-Tite Weight Distribution Installation - etrailer.com Drawtite install

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #21
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Nothing else like it!

STOP! Turn back, give it up, don't do this. Once you start you'll be incurably hooked. Great life plans will morph. Goals will dissolve. Life, as you know it, will end.

It's not too late for you and Randy. You can still walk away from all this. Spend your money on a new Ferrari -- it will probably be cheaper.

Okay, just kidding -- there is nothing in the world we love more than traveling with, or sitting or sleeping in during a big rain, our Airstream trailer. Whatta gas!

Take it slow, learn it, enjoy it, love it.

Very best of luck,
Jim

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
hey 3b, you're right across the lake from us (we're in mid-city NOLA)...tried to view your photos..where are they?...pm me if necessary, I would like to see them..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
...re: Goo Gone...might remove some of the clearcoat as it is very strong stuff made for removing graffiti etc.. I would try good old mineral spirits first..if that doesn't work...hmmm..MEK? its pretty harsh too (its like acetone that doesnt dry as fast) so test on a small inconspicuous spot first.. gaffer's tape is better than duct but it too will leave residue if left on too long..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Tom, Jim, and Rick, thanks for your notes and the videos. Lots to learn about hitching up, heh? Rick, I'm nearly photo-transfer illiterate, so I haven't quite figured out how to upload the pics. Will try in a bit and see if I'm successful. We're originally from the southshore, but have been across the pond for 20 years now. Looking forward to getting to know our fellow local "Streamers"!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
ditto

I hope to soon join the ranks of 1st time towing an Airstream... Thanks for posting this thread :-) Rae

Love this, below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStreamr View Post
STOP! Turn back, give it up, don't do this. Once you start you'll be incurably hooked. Great life plans will morph. Goals will dissolve. Life, as you know it, will end.

It's not too late for you and Randy. You can still walk away from all this. Spend your money on a new Ferrari -- it will probably be cheaper.

Okay, just kidding -- there is nothing in the world we love more than traveling with, or sitting or sleeping in during a big rain, our Airstream trailer. Whatta gas!

Take it slow, learn it, enjoy it, love it.

Very best of luck,
Jim

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Journeying to pick up the new silver baby!

Hey Rae, I hope you soon find your AS trailer so you can be a newbie like myself. Going to pick up the baby next week down in Florida, but on the east side! Am nervous about towing her back the 800 miles, but both friends and hubby will be there to help with the hook-up! Hope all goes well and is uneventful insofar as travel issues are concerned.

Have a blessed Easter everyone. Will be in touch next week with, no doubt, many more questions! Sandy
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
I'm on the east side!! Saint Augustine-- about an hour north of Daytona, an hour south of Jacksonville... When are you going by? I will be leaving thursday for a few days, but I'd love to meet you for lunch or something if it works out :-)

Good luck with the towing-picking up your new baby!! Yay!

Rae

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 19' International
1986 25' Sovereign
St. Tammany , Louisiana
Oh nooo...I inserted my foot again!

Well Rae, I saw from your photos that you're not a newbie...love your vintage AS pics! Wish I could meet you, but have to get down to Stuart for get-together with friends tomorrow evening. Will be heading out asap in the a.m. with my teenagerfor the 12-13 hour drive! Thanks so much for the offer, though. Perhaps I'll have another chance, as we usually go visit friends in south Florida 2-3 times yearly.