Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
First Time RV'er: Bought '74 Overlander, sight unseen!

Well, we decided it was time to make a impulse buy.
We bought a 1974 27' Overlander, rear bath with double bed.
It was purchased from an RV dealer in Iowa and I have not seen it in person.
I appears to be in good shape and since I've been in the homebuilding industry for years, I am capable of making almost any type of repair or maintenance.
We are excited about making the trip to pick her up and do some camping at Lake Okoboji in late June, then the trip home to Houston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	100368   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	100369  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06_2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	100370  
2Rhinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:39 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome 2R and congrats on the new (to you) Overlander. Vintage trailers are a joy and your hand skills will be helpful as you work your way through any maintenance, or repair issues.

Keep us posted,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Wow, cool. That's exactly the same config as our '74 Overlander. We've done some substantial repairs / upgrades to ours since taking ownership in Feb. of 2009. Hope to see you on the road so that we can meet our "twin".
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
What types of "substantial" repairs were necessary?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
You may want to look up the thread Replacing Axles,it will tell you how to tell if you need new ones. Appears like you might. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Old trailers always need something done to them. I enjoyed mine for a couple years before I had to dig into it for a major floor repair and do some appliance upgrades.Hopefully you can enjoy it as it is, figure out if there's anything that needs fixing, and work on it in the winter when you aren't using it anyway. It sure looks nice from the outside! Congrats!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
By no means is any of this exclusive to '74 Overlanders with the double bed. But, after using it for one year...

The "had to do it" list:
-replaced the axles
-replaced a significant portion of the plumbing which required removal of many shower/tub parts
-new toilet
-new battery under the bed (old one fell out of that lovely battery compartment on the W.Va. turnpike)
-new fridge (old one was not original, but at least 20+ years old)
-new stabilizer jack
-removed and re-installed the vista view windows (leaking)
-sealed the TV antenna plate on the roof
-other & various misc. leaks sealed with vulkem & Parbond
-rebuilt front window rock guard

The "did it because we wanted to" list:
-new bathroom linoleum
-tore out some tambours to make more "shower" room
-installed a cable from the rear access area to the bedroom for external cable TV hookup
-new cabinets / pantry in the kitchen
-spare tire carrier (still haven't installed that one, but I have the pieces)
-removed the in-wall oven

Planned for next winter:
-new range/sink/galley area
-new window and doors seals (not leaking now, but old and cracked)

If you need some spare interior parts, I might be able to help you out. I've still got the oven and most of the wonderful 70's formica walls and aluminum extrusions that I've torn out. When we bought it, it already had a wood floor everywhere but the bathroom. We would have done that ourselves if it had not had that already done.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
By no means is any of this exclusive to '74 Overlanders with the double bed. But, after using it for one year...
We hope she is in good enough shape to enjoy in "as in" condition when we pick her up.
If the axles are good enough (and the dealer says they are) to get us across the State of Iowa and back to Houston, that's all I'm looking to accomplish.
If there is anyone out there near Davenport, Iowa that's interested in doing an inspection on the drivetrain for me, I would most appreciate your opinion.
If the axles do need to be replaced, I will have the dealer do this just to be safe.
I am capable of doing the repairs myself, in fact I'm restoring an old "Land Cruiser" at the moment, but gotta get her home first.
First project back home, that actually has nothing to do with the AS, is to build a barn at our ranch to house her while I begin the restoration.
My "bucket list" has not bottom
Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
Smile We made it!

Last week we picked up the AS (in Southeast Iowa) we bought on ebay in mid April.
We made the trip up from Houston in 2 days (1400 miles).
When we arrived at the dealer it was pouring rain and there were tornado warnings.
We could hardly wait to see the "Silver Rhino". The RV dealership is over 15 acres and we had to drive to the extreme rear corner of the lot to find our purchase. And there she was.
It was pouring, but I jumped out of the truck anyway. I couldn't wait to see what she looked like in person.
I was more than pleased.
Our plan was to go from SE Iowa to NW Iowa to Lake Okaboji and meet my wife's family at a campground for 3 nights before heading back to Houston.
The dealer had several hookups and we decided we would spend our first night there and check out what worked and what didn't.
First observation: A 36 year old Armstrong A/C can still freeze your "hind end" off.
Second observation: Don't expect there will be no plumbing leaks.
We were so excited we didn't even care about what needed fixing.
I wasn't sure how she would tow, but she pulled beautifully. In fact I could hardly tell we were towing.
The electric brakes worked perfectly.
We made the trip to the Lake and had a great time.
Oh yea, we ended up in a tornado shelter for a couple of hours one night at the campground. I know the AS is built tough, but not tornado tough!
We decided to drive straight through back to Houston (1200 miles and 20 hours).
The AS handled the trip exceptionally. I was concerned about axles and wheel bearings, but we didn't have any problems.
The day after we arrived in Houston, I made the 100 mile trip to our ranch to drop her off where she will be stored during and after the restoration.
Now the fun begins.....stay tuned.