Old 01-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinck
Hi Sid,
I am in the selection process right now and I wondered how you came to choose the 22 foot model....We are vasilating on the 22 or 25 safari ss...It's a darn hard choice. It's only me and the mrs. and the lab, Ricky.....I just am concerned about buying an AS and finding out that I should have bought a biger [roomy] trailer...Your comments are appreciated..

Chris
Chris what tow vehicle do you plan on using?

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #16
Sid
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Comanche , Texas
Chris, I suppose a major factor was that our existing tow vehicle would be our '97 Silverado 1500 with the 350 V8 and factory tow package. Another consideration was that we figured the smaller trailer would be easier to handle. And, now that I'm thinking about it, I guess the price differential between the 22 and larger models could have been a factor.

But, psychologically, we have always equated camping with compactness and, ever since we looked at the tiny Scottie forty-seven years ago, we've longed for the day when we could get a really deluxe, stand up, version in the form of a classic Airstream.

We have two small dogs that will travel with us and see no problem. A Lab would need more room. Be sure to consider how much room he/she needs just to turn around. FYI, our trailer's 'hall' width is 24". Might be a real squeeze for your pooch.

EDIT: I would add that the size also would depend on how you want to use it. We plan to use ours more or less as a base and don't plan to spend huge amounts of time lounging around inside. If in doubt, I would think you might want to go one size larger than what you think might minimally meet your needs.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #17
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinck
Hi Sid,
I am in the selection process right now and I wondered how you came to choose the 22 foot model....We are vasilating on the 22 or 25 safari ss...It's a darn hard choice. It's only me and the mrs. and the lab, Ricky.....I just am concerned about buying an AS and finding out that I should have bought a biger [roomy] trailer...Your comments are appreciated..

Chris
Chris ~ Welcome to the forums. It great to have another member from the valley. If you are still looking next month, why not make a day trip to the 4CU rally in Cottonwood. We will have trailers of all sizes. It would give you the oppertunity to talk with the owners about sizes and floor plans. If you get your Airstream before the rally, join us!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #18

Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for the posts..By the way, Richard..I, too, like to fly fish and that's another reason to by a trailer for me...I have a low mile 2003 Sliverado HD2500 diesel as a TV. Plenty of truck with the correct anti swat hitch. I am looking at Hensley's ofcourse but would appreciate any other feedback on hitches too. The last thing I want is trouble on the road because I spared expense on the hitch device. Penny wise and pound foolish as they saying goes....
I don't plan on buying for a few months or so. Maybe spring time if I can settle with 2006 taxes and a refinance on our home that has a nasty 7.5 percent ARM..We will refi this month which means that I need to show a healthy cash position to achieve the best rate.
I am trying to decide what trailer is best but I am leaning towards the 25 Safari ss SE/LE. Carolyn doesn't care for the floor plan on the 25 FB. She thinks that there's more useable space in the SS model.

Our only local dealer choice is in Mesa Arizona which is an hour away from our home in North Scottsdale. Dillon RV. I have been out there twice and have not been overly impressed with their facility or the sales crew. I have not gone to view their service area yet but that's scheduled in the near future.
One things' for sure. I am not rushing the decision because we're looking at something over 50 Large on this purchase and I want to be sure that we are selecting the right AS for us. I am not very handy..or a mister Fix it so new gives me a better chance of solving start up problems with dealer help.

Our dog, Ricky is a 90 lb Lab. and he's happy to be wherever we are...especially in our bed.....

Cottonwood sounds like a good experince for us. I will make that trip to see what others have chosen..

Thanks again,

Chris Linck
Scottsdale, AZ
Old 01-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Checking out the 4CU rally would be well worth it, and maybe one of the best things you can do before making a size/model decision. We changed our mind 3 times after being so sure the 1st time!
It was a matter of not knowing about all the newer configurations out there, and even more importantly for me, not knowing how they would feel/look once they were packed up, decorated, etc. It was a huge bonus to be able to visit a rally and see how many different living plans there are, and how many different ways there are to use the same space. It was very different from going in and out of trailers on a lot. And you'll find fellow Airstreamers to be as forthcoming and helpful in real life as they are on the forums. Nothing like seeing a brilliant storage idea being put to use!
We love our final choice, especially since we feel like it's a very informed one. There are definitely some other plans and models I would have liked too, but this one suits the majority of our needs as a couple who travels with a pooch or three.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #20
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Sid,
Welcome and best wishes with your selection process. You are in the right place to gather a tremendous amount of good information for your decision.

Mac and Linda
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Welcome

Welcome Sid,
It sounds like you're doing all the correct things and asking the right questions. This is the place to get some good opinions and help with your questions. We purchased our Classic from Bayer RV as well and Steve was good to work with. Good luck and Happy Trails!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #22
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Sid, are we still on for dinner on the 12th? How about your friends from across the lake? Looking forward to meeting you.
GStephens
Old 01-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #23
Rot-Roo Rastro!!

2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
Welcome to great club in America. Your with some of the best people in the world. Happy Trails..
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #24
Sid
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Comanche , Texas
Gayland, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner---you betcha, we'll be there at 6:30 sharp, as will our friends from across the lake. We're all looking forward to meeting you and your wife.

I don't think we'll make the rally at the end of the month. Too many other things going on this month.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #25
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We'll be there with bells on @ 6:30 P.M. We'll arrive in a black and tan 2004 Ford F-250 Crew Cab with a tonneau cover over the bed. I stand 6'4" and always wear a big black hat and glasses this time of year. You should be able to spot us. Of the two of us, my wife will be the pretty one. I pretty much look like I've been beaten with an ugly stick.

Sorry to hear you won't be able to attend the rally. You'll be missing out on a really great time and a lot of outstanding information you might could use to get the most out of your Airstream experience, but I understand time constraints completely. As a new owner of a brand new toy, I just assumed you'd have lots of questions about a lot of things that could be answered at that particular rally by experts in their respective fields. These are experts who won't be at any other rally. It would also have been a good opportunity for you to get your feet wet and see if the Airstream Club would be something you'd enjoy without having to be a member. Most all other Club rallies require membership, but there should be one other rally sometime during the year that will be what is called a buddy rally. At buddy rallies, we can invite our non-member buddies to attend as our guests and we can even invite them whether or not they own an Airstream. Let me know at dinner if that is something you'd like me to do, that is invite you to a buddy rally. I don't intend to pressure you or anyone else about joining or attending functions of our club, but on the other hand, I sure don't want to be indifferent to your membership either. There is a fine line between making someone feel welcome and badgering them. I hope to walk that line. I keep trying to remind myself that just because we enjoy these kinds of activities and friendships so much doesn't mean that others will always feel the same way.

I've been working on, well maybe the better description is piddling on, our Airstream the past few days. I've waxed everything except the top and the end caps. Those are the two areas that need waxing the most to protect the plasti-coat, but I just haven't gotten the nerve up to tackle those areas yet. I'll need to pull it out of the barn before I wax up high. It will also need to be washed before I wax the top as the top has gathered a lot of barn dust the past few weeks given the winds we've had. If I can catch a warm day before the next cold front hits this next weekend, I might decide to tackle that little job. I also plan to polish the wheels.

I installed our new hitch earlier this week. It required a machining modification of our Enkay mud flap's hub that is used to mount the flaps to the shank that is inserted into the receiver hitch on the truck. That modification went well, but now everything needed to be readjusted as the flaps hang much closer under the truck's bumper now. As a result, the support arms now tilt out behind rather rather than stand more or less straight up. That required readjustment of the whole setup to make them hang correctly. No problem, just something to keep me busy and I need to have something to do right now.

See you on the 12th.

GStephens

« Hello All | Top | van »